Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

A lot of forum readers like the smallish form factor of this camera. I am not so enamoured by the small form factor. This may be the first time I would be interested in adding the grip to give me more hand space. The added battery would be a bonus for what is likely to be a power hungry beast. :unsure:

I can see where you are coming from. If I carried a photo gear specific bag or shot in a studio I would have little use for a smaller camera.

For my purposes, it's great. I carry a briefcase / edc bag everywhere and go into the city a lot with a single bag. I want to ALWAYS have a camera with me, and for awhile this was a little Panasonic GM1 or a Fuji X-E3. Having the option to have ONE camera that can do it all and pack small and light is fantastic.

A thin and light FF mirrorless camera with a compact "all around" prime (pancake please) is ideal for my every day use, and I can slap on a zoom or a tilt shift for the days that require it. I now often carry a 6D with a 40mm pancake which I like...going even smaller and lighter, and with some additional resolution, video features and DR would be even better.

But for days where I am already going to have to carry a lot of gear and a tripod, or where I am in a studio like environment, a larger camera would actually be slightly preferable, as you mentioned. Options are good.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I guess the knurled ring is for focus as in all M lenses. But I think it also serves as a non-visual indicator when grabbing lenses. With the shape and size of the RF lenses very similar to EF, it could be confusing when having a mix of them in the camera bag. Though, just touching the rim will indicate that this is an RF lens.

It's not for (regular) focusing -- each lens has a focus ring already!

Perhaps it's a customizable ring -- change aperture, snap into 10x/peaking mode, exposure comp, etc.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Looks like the EF-EF-R adaptor has a version for drop in filters. Compare the cost of say a 52mm filter to an 82mm. If you lots of filters the drop in will be worth the $$$

Hopefully they'll be cheaper than the Canon supertelephoto drop-in filters - the circular polariser is nearly £200!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
i dont think canon will put a lower price (MSRP) on this camera than for 5D IV. would be really surprised if it comes in at 1999,-

Agree, but we haven't seen all the specs yet. The Z7 is trying to be a D850 mirrorless and might fool some, but it's shackled with fine print and limitations. It's possible we've got a 5D4-like sensor here in a sealed body, but it has:

(Before people throw things at me, I'm not saying the EOS R will let us down in all of these areas, but possibly some of them.)

• 1/4000 shutter
  • 5 fps with everything turned on (AF, AE each frame)
  • No Eye AF from the M50
  • 1 SD card
  • 1/160 sync
  • 4K but no DPAF to go with it
  • No IBIS
  • Not on-chip ADC like the 6D2
  • No AF assist lamp compatibility with speedlites (Nikon Z did this for whatever reason)
So let's not presume it's a 5-series product until the real list comes out. I could see a stripped for cost $2000 being possible, but unlikely.

- A

Upvote 0
I can see where you are coming from. If I carried a photo gear specific bag or shot in a studio I would have little use for a smaller camera.

For my purposes, it's great. I carry a briefcase / edc bag everywhere and go into the city a lot with a single bag. I want to ALWAYS have a camera with me, and for awhile this was a little Panasonic GM1 or a Fuji X-E3. Having the option to have ONE camera that can do it all and pack small and light is fantastic.

A thin and light FF mirrorless camera with a compact "all around" prime (pancake please) is ideal for my every day use, and I can slap on a zoom or a tilt shift for the days that require it. I now often carry a 6D with a 40mm pancake which I like...going even smaller and lighter, and with some additional resolution, video features and DR would be even better.

But for days where I am already going to have to carry a lot of gear and a tripod, or where I am in a studio like environment, a larger camera would actually be slightly preferable, as you mentioned. Options are good.
you know, even a ESO+R + adapter + 40mm is still pretty compact.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Approximately 10cm (max. diameter) x 14cm (length).

Do catch up, people. ;) It's not long but it's a damn linebacker diametrically -- odds of fitting in your standard 80mm lens slot in your bag are officially zero.
Surely heavy as hell to boot. I'm geeked about the prospect of it, but I'm also wincing at the high 'reality price' that physics demands we pay for this.

1535815511084.png

- A

Upvote 0