Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

If you find the Canon SLR design aesthetic beautiful, then yes, this is the cute little baby of that.

I tend to see ergonomics / function / thoughtfulness in Canon's design language rather than some attraction to some sexy piece of kit. So something that looks like it belongs with other Canon gear reassures me the ergonomics were not fouled up with this one. (Does that make any sense?)

- A

Like a carry pistol or a hammer, looks have always been near the bottom of the interest list for me on a camera. That said, the EOS R certainly doesn't look ugly to me, like some have posted.

In fact...I quite like some of the subtle design cues. For example, the way the EVF housing protrudes forward slightly, reminiscent of the pentaprism housing on a DSLR. The Nikon Z is just flat there, looking a little like something was cut off...

+1 on consistency across products that makes it "feel" like it belongs in the Canon stable.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon's still at 50% of global ILC units and sensor production prices aren't plummeting precipitously. the idea that Canon needs to go to the mattresses and Sony-up their spec-per-dollar value proposition lacks data to back it up.

I'd love it, too, but it's wishful thinking until Canon actually starts losing share. They will not rethink their gameplan while they are actively curb-stomping their foes in the market right now.

- A

Hahaha!!!! So glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that -- would've buck-snorted all over my screen. Great imagery for a marketshare discussion...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If I were Canon, I would prefer to start testing new approach with releasing an "enthusiast" camera, and then release "pro" and "consumer" versions half a year to a year later.

"Enthusiast" camera is about $2500 MSRP.

This particular camera seems to be nerfed in its button layout. I hope a bigger body follows.

I don't hear new rumors about my G7X III, and it probably means that non-ILC market is shrinking faster than expected.
You don't hear rumors about your G7X III because my G7X II wants to live more :cool::cool::cool:

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So. Thoughts about adaptors.

One of the things a new mount brings is the ability to 100% control what lenses are produced for the system, and even adaptors for autofocus lenses.

Right now, the EF protocol dates back to the 1980s and even those who haven't officially licenced it can reverse engineer it easily.

Now days it's trivial for a manufacturer to use encrypted communication between the body and the lens that is both hard to crack and very easy to litigate against if people have reversed it.

If I were Canon I would make ALL RF lenses *and adaptors* require this communication, meaning the EF lenses will only work with the official Canon RF adaptors.

Now, the good news is this won't be a problem for legacy manual focus glass. Those adaptors will work regardless.

But adaptors for Nikon lenses etc, or third party EF -> R adaptors may be unlikely.

Upvote 0
How soon until Canon makes a full range of primes? For me, big/bulky zoomz.are a deal breaker.

Is the 4k video amateur 3840×2160 (UHD) or professional 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K)?

Is there a native 4/3 and square (1x1) crop?

The Leica L-Mount has an inner diameter of 48.8mm and a flange depth of 20.0mm. The Canon R demensions are 54mm with a flange back of 20mm. The Leica M mount is 44mm diameter with a 27.8mm flange. A Canon R to Leica M adapter is possible.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
This particular camera seems to be nerfed in its button layout. I hope a bigger body follows.

This is more hitting form factor expectations than nerfing. You don't really nerf a grip. You make a small one for the small camp and a big one for the big camp.

You say 'I miss my bigger body, buttons, wheel, etc.' and others say 'Sweet! Tilty-flippy and they still all the buttons in there.'

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've already answered this 10 pages ago. Go check that out.

- A

My bad...I had read that post, but must have forgotten the part about the lens not going anywhere, thus no need to jump for the body. Great point.

I think everyone was concluding at the time that the 50 likely didn't have IS (though I could be wrong, as dozens of pages and less sleep than I should've had are blurring it all together), so when I saw those second-button-nubs sticking out, I wondered if the likely reality of IS changed anything. At least you've (likely) got a dream lens to save up for down the road for when you choose your next body...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If I were Canon, I would prefer to start testing new approach with releasing an "enthusiast" camera, and then release "pro" and "consumer" versions half a year to a year later.

"Enthusiast" camera is about $2500 MSRP.

Enthusiast Camera at $2500, not in any companies history. Plus it would be way above the current "Enthusiast" market

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Bummed that it's not EF mount. But whether I buy one will come down to price and video specs.

$2k price, 4k video with DPAF and FF or APS-C crop? Done.

Crippled 4k (i.e. 2x crop and no DPAF) or a much higher price? Forget it.

As a stills camera this won't do anything my 5Ds can't already do better. As a backup that can take my lenses (with adapter) and give me good 4k it definitely has some appeal. But if it can't offer acceptable 4k I might as well look to a 5D IV as a backup.

Just my humble opinion of course. I don't see everything mirrorless as "magic" and I don't care to stare through an EVF all day. So the EOS R has to offer me some capability I don't already have in a DSLR, and do so at a tempting price point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
This is more hitting form factor expectations than nerfing. You don't really nerf a grip.
There is a "standard" right hand controls layout for the last 13 years or so. In this camera, it is broken.

You make a small one for the small camp and a big one for the big camp.

You say 'I miss my bigger body, buttons, wheel, etc.' and others say 'Sweet! Tilty-flippy and they still all the buttons in there.'
I am not sure it would be easy to use these buttons and operate a 70-200 lens at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bummed that it's not EF mount. But whether I buy one will come down to price and video specs.

$2k price, 4k video with DPAF and FF or APS-C crop? Done.

Crippled 4k (i.e. 2x crop and no DPAF) or a much higher price? Forget it.

As a stills camera this won't do anything my 5Ds can't already do better. As a backup that can take my lenses (with adapter) and give me good 4k it definitely has some appeal. But if it can't offer acceptable 4k I might as well look to a 5D IV as a backup.

Just my humble opinion of course. I don't see everything mirrorless as "magic" and I don't care to stare through an EVF all day. So the EOS R has to offer me some capability I don't already have in a DSLR, and do so at a tempting price point.

I hear that! But, you are probably not the target buyer on this one. This is for people interested in a lighter weight and smaller form factor camera. It took digital cameras about 10 years (from the first round of consumer digital) to overtake film. This year marks the 10 year of Mirrorless and it's making some serious waves if every camera manufacture is getting in at all levels. Especially when the point & shoot market is nearly dead

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I hear that! But, you are probably not the target buyer on this one. This is for people interested in a lighter weight and smaller form factor camera.

I guess I just see things differently. Shaving a few mm's and ounces doesn't seem to be a big deal. If you want light weight and smaller form factor an EOS M kit is a feather compared to any FF kit.

Understand I'm not saying Canon has done a bad job, though how good this first camera is overall depends on specs we haven't seen yet. It will sell because there's a fascination right now with FF mirrorless and this looks to be a competitive model. I just don't get the mirrorless hype or "magic". For me the camera has to break ground on some feature/price point.

Upvote 0
Eh. I don't know. What does "really big print" mean? Sure, there's a market, but there comes a point where the market is so tiny it doesn't count when it comes to ultimate sales. While 30mp is probably far beyond what I need (20x30 max print in my world... which prints fantastically from my lowly 5D mark III), when does a 46 vs 30mp image really start to make a difference? I have no idea. Probably doesn't make any difference at all for the vast majority. Might make a big difference to somebody that crops a lot. So yes, my needs. Problem is that a lot of people who say they need it really don't. It's kind of like buying a car that will do 200mph. We can do that, but then never go above 90mph. So what's the point of the other 110 possible mph? There really is no point except to say that we can if we really want to. ;)

The high end camera will probably add megapixels, but for my needs? Don't care. There's a point where mp are just a status symbol and not a functional necessity. To be honest, 99.99% of what I do is on the web anyway, so I could get by on far less than what I have. That's probably true of most. Not saying higher mp would turn me off from buying. Not at all. Just that it isn't a big consideration. The bigger consideration for me would be whether the high end camera ergonomics were right. Others have different wants. Wants and needs are two different things.
There are plenty of users (me included) who wIll take all the usable MP we can get. It is the A7riii and D850 and 5ds market with plenty of wildlife and landscape photographers making their bread and butter with them. We print large and post in high resolution and the extra MP help with cropping in wildlife.

Don’t knock it until you try it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There are plenty of users (me included) who wIll take all the usable MP we can get. It is the A7riii and D850 and 5ds market with plenty of wildlife and landscape photographers making their bread and butter with them. We print large and post in high resolution and the extra MP help with cropping in wildlife.

Robbie, I didn't knock anything. :) I specifically said for my needs. Of course there are people who need all they can get. Then there are people who buy it that just want to say they have X megapixels. BIg for me is 20x30. However, I think I wouldn't have any problem outputting at 30x40 (I'll actually be printing that size next week) with what I have. I'm on the portrait end of things and do post high res stuff, but have never had a problem... even when I crop big. Megapixels are not such a big deal to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0