Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
There may be some wishful thinking involved (I would like to see a price under $2K), but these are my thoughts also. Canon has to know that DSLR sales will decline whether they go into FF MILC both feet first or not. So why not do it, and at the same time establish that new floor? They would not only sell a huge number of this camera, but would create a painful new reality for the competition. Consumers love specs, and 30 MP looks far more attractive than 26.

This.

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that with these new L lenses, especially the 28-70 f2, that there may be gradual professional shift to RF lenses. It won't be over night, but over time. The Canon cameras with EF mounts will probably be phased out over a long period, until the evolution of their professional FF mirrorless line is fully developed . That's my guess.
My guess is that Canon will let it play out and see where the market goes.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I suspect Canon wants to defend it's market position more than it want's to defend the 6D II and the 5D IV. A strong move into the mirrorless market would achieve that. The R cameras seem poised to replace the 6D and 5D lines. Why would Canon have two cameras that directly compete with two of its other cameras? That's uneconomic. That could double Canon's R & D costs while sales remain flat after the product launch.

We shall see what Canon is doing soon enough.

One part of the puzzle is how DSLRs and mirrorless will fit together in Canon's overall FF camera line. The 6DII could stay as the low cost camera, and a single 5D high megapixel DSLR might replace the 5DIV and the 5DS. That would seem to leave room for several mirrorless cameras, especially if video is emphasized.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I suspect Canon wants to defend it's market position more than it want's to defend the 6D II and the 5D IV. A strong move into the mirrorless market would achieve that. The R cameras seem poised to replace the 6D and 5D lines. Why would Canon have two cameras that directly compete with two of its other cameras? That's uneconomic. That could double Canon's R & D costs while sales remain flat after the product launch.
Thanks, I knew there was a perfectly logical explanation for why Canon discontinued development of APS-C DSLRs after the launch and commercial success of the EOS M line. I'm just sure they'll do that same thing after the launch of the EOS R.

Except, you know, they didn't...and won't.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
One part of the puzzle is how DSLRs and mirrorless will fit together in Canon's overall FF camera line. The 6DII could stay as the low cost camera, and a single 5D high megapixel DSLR might replace the 5DIV and the 5DS. That would seem to leave room for several mirrorless cameras, especially if video is emphasized.
I could see it as Rj < 6D < R < 5D < Rs < 1D

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Until this leak I was aiming to sell my one of my 7d mk1 and My 400 F5.6 to buy a 7d mk2 but now I don't know. Would you go for 7d mk2 or EOS R paired with a 100-400 IS II(maby with 1.4TC)? I mainly shoot birds and therefore do some heavy croping. I was waiting for an announcement for 7d mk3 but that does not seem to be anything that will arrive any time soon..

That’s a tough call, and I’m in the same boat. I use 7D Mark 2 with 100-400 Mark 2. I would want a FF 50 MP body so that I could crop to the dimensions of APS-C and have the same approximate resolution. So I don’t know if I wait for 7D Mark 3, or for the rumored high-megapixel FF MILC. To me, one of the greatest advantages of mirrorless is that it negates the need for AFMA, which I think would be especially helpful with lenses that have long zoom ranges.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What did I misqoute?

Canon's willingness to sacrifice current product lines, by cananabalizing features and price points, tells us everything we need to know about the DSLR: It's fated to die a slow death. This view does not express bias on my part. It's just a conjecture based on my appraisal of a reality that remains unclear. Having a bias entails the presence of a prejudice that disposes me to adopt certain positions. I don't much care if mirrorless displaces mirrors. But I also do not care if mirrors remain dominate. I'm trying to make sense of reality. Nothing more.
You've adopted the position that DSLRs are 'legacy', both in misquoting Canon and in your suggestion that Canon will drop 5- and 6-series line development in favor of the EOS R (in spite of manifest evidence to the contrary for APS-C lines).

It appears that you're either unable to understand simple statements or being intentionally obtuse. Either way, further discussion on the matter of your bias is pointless.

Upvote 0
That’s a tough call, and I’m in the same boat. I use 7D Mark 2 with 100-400 Mark 2. I would want a FF 50 MP body so that I could crop to the dimensions of APS-C and have the same approximate resolution. So I don’t know if I wait for 7D Mark 3, or for the rumored high-megapixel FF MILC. To me, one of the greatest advantages of mirrorless is that it negates the need for AFMA, which I think would be especially helpful with lenses that have long zoom ranges.
Yea, for me I don't care much for a FF camera but it on the other hand it would be nice to get the flexibility to use it for other things than shooting small birds. It semes that I'm one of very few that would have been over the moon if this was a 30MP APS-C sensor :)

I think there will be a "pro" high resolution version of this camera like the Z7 for Nikon but it will probably fetch a pro price as well...

AFMA would be great to get rid of, also to be able to get that high ISO performance would be awesome. At the moment on my 7D ISO1600 is mainly unusable

Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
I'm a Nikon shooter, but I am really interested in this. If it does indeed cost $1900, with 30MP that is very promising. Of course resolution isn't everything, but if it has say the high ISO performance of the Z6 (and the ISO 40000 displayed in the pic is promising) and even does 8-9 FPS I might end up with this over the Z6. Especially since there will inevitably be several F-mount adapters (that will probably work as well as and cost less than Nikon's).

Let's not understate how significant a time this is for the Nikon-Canon duopoly. Both Nikon and Canon are moving to a new mount, and adapters will be available for each company's bodies for either company's legacy lenses. Suddenly, every Nikon and Canon shooter is a free agent. Neither company has captivity over its existing customer base anymore - so rather than coast along by their legacy customers, they need to actually make their new mirrorless cameras stand on their own merits.

So here's a hypothetical as to what I think Canon's strategy could be. Canon, seeing that we are at a crossroads of technology not seen since the digital transition, has decided that it is going to wait for Nikon and Sony to show their hands. Then it simply goes down the speclist and one-ups both of its rivals, at a lower cost to boot. Nikon and Sony give you a 24-70 kit lens? Have a 24-105. They have 24MP? Here's 30. They want $2000? We'll charge you $1900. Profits be damned, Canon knows that in this critical moment it needs to win people over to its new system to ensure their future for decades to come. It's the razor-and-blades model, except it's body-and-lenses.

That admittedly seems a little far-fetched in a world where you would expect a product to be finalized months before its announcement, but maybe Canon waited until just now to finalize the design and this was one of several prototypes they prepared. These may not ship until next year after all. But I guess we'll see in a few days. I've already pre-ordered the Z6, but Canon has definitely piqued my interest.

Sort of like the razor mentality - "Give away the handle for below cost because you're making money on the blades."

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
... Canon discontinued development of APS-C DSLRs after the launch and commercial success of the EOS M line ...
... no not yet. ;-)

M5/M6 and even more so EOS M50 are fairly recent only. M50 really marks the first "decent, compact and affordable" M camera. I think it has already created quite a dent in Rebel, xxD and EF-S sales. Those product lines will "go legacy" :p first ... and it may be sooner than you/some here think.

But let's see what EOS M5 II and maybe M6 II have to offer and how capable and inexpensive the next entry level body - M100 successor - will be. Might already put an end to the "Rebel Slap" ... no more SL-3, no 90D, no 78D. Almost certainly still a 7D III, but i would not bet money on ever seeing a 7D Mk. IV. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
Until this leak I was aiming to sell my one of my 7d mk1 and My 400 F5.6 to buy a 7d mk2 but now I don't know. Would you go for 7d mk2 or EOS R paired with a 100-400 IS II(maby with 1.4TC)? I mainly shoot birds and therefore do some heavy croping. I was waiting for an announcement for 7d mk3 but that does not seem to be anything that will arrive any time soon..
Unless this new mirrorless is way way better in the focus dept. than the M5, the focusing capabilities won't be able to touch your 7D. I've been very disappointed with the way my M5 captures wildlife on the move (or doesn't, is more like it). My 7DM2 is far superior. With my 100-400IS II, I can catch anything (almost).

Upvote 0