Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
To alleviate focus shift, perhaps. I don’t know anything about the Nikon z system, so just a guess.

It does seem counterintuitive. If you are shooting at f/8 and you're focusing on the eyes you still would want the camera to ensure the eyes were in the center of the f/8 focus range (in general) which is what you get when it focuses as the widest aperture giving the narrowest depth of field. If you're auto focusing at f/8 then there's a good chance the center of the focus range will be randomly somewhere within the wider range.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Until this leak I was aiming to sell my one of my 7d mk1 and My 400 F5.6 to buy a 7d mk2 but now I don't know. Would you go for 7d mk2 or EOS R paired with a 100-400 IS II(maby with 1.4TC)? I mainly shoot birds and therefore do some heavy croping. I was waiting for an announcement for 7d mk3 but that does not seem to be anything that will arrive any time soon..
Until this leak I was aiming to sell my one of my 7d mk1 and My 400 F5.6 to buy a 7d mk2 but now I don't know. Would you go for 7d mk2 or EOS R paired with a 100-400 IS II(maby with 1.4TC)? I mainly shoot birds and therefore do some heavy croping. I was waiting for an announcement for 7d mk3 but that does not seem to be anything that will arrive any time soon..

My quess is FF mirrorless first will take out APS-C DSLRs and then Entrylevel FF as 6D. Then later - maybe 10 years down the road there will ony be one FF DSLR in lineup - and the rest will be mirrorless.
So I would hold my horses on the 7Dmk2 and wait another half year.
For my self: I will put my wishes for a 24-70 f/2.8 mkII L and a 135L on hold until I have learned more on Canons future plans for the EF mount.
(disclamer: I am not a ML fanboy. I love my 6D, and my EF lenses, and I at this point a bit frustrated to see, that EF lenses are not natively mounted on the EOS R)

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks, I knew there was a perfectly logical explanation for why Canon discontinued development of APS-C DSLRs after the launch and commercial success of the EOS M line. I'm just sure they'll do that same thing after the launch of the EOS R.

Except, you know, they didn't...and won't.

Check back in 10 to 15 years when KEH has these cameras for sale at a $50 price and when new mirrored cameras are nowhere on sale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I don’t understand the point of Autofocus at -6 EV.
If I understand correctly, this is not the value of the scene luminance (in ISO 100 EV units), but the value of autofocus sensor illuminance. Which means that if you use a slower lens or a teleconverter, the ability to autofocus in the low light degrades by the corresponding amount of stops.

So, if you want to autofocus at 400/5.6 with TC 2x in twilight, you need a very sensitive AF sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
My quess is FF mirrorless first will take out APS-C DSLRs and then Entrylevel FF as 6D. Then later - maybe 10 years down the road there will ony be one FF DSLR in lineup - and the rest will be mirrorless.
So I would hold my horses on the 7Dmk2 and wait another half year.
For my self: I will put my wishes for a 24-70 f/2.8 mkII L and a 135L on hold until I have learned more on Canons future plans for the EF mount.
(disclamer: I am not a ML fanboy. I love my 6D, and my EF lenses, and I at this point a bit frustrated to see, that EF lenses are not natively mounted on the EOS R)
Same, i was looking for some ef lens purcase(s) but was holding off until we knew about Canons ML plans. I guess I'll keep holding off for now.
Canon offers conversion of some (expensive) lenses fom EF to PL. Maybe we'll see also EF to RF conversion option. While there is no doubt this will be a sucessful Camera system, they could have handled this one better. Specifically, they have now 4 lens classes, where the crop ones are inherently neglected. on the other two, my guess is they have to put the horsepower behind RF to be competitive with Sony and EF will see only marginal updates.

Once somebody said that "Canon fails every time when they have the chance to completely take over the market". Here we go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
If I understand correctly, this is not the value of the scene luminance (in ISO 100 EV units), but the value of autofocus sensor illuminance. Which means that if you use a slower lens or a teleconverter, the ability to autofocus in the low light degrades by the corresponding amount of stops.

So, if you want to autofocus at 400/5.6 with TC 2x in twilight, you need a very sensitive AF sensor.
You’re probably right about it being sensor illuminance.

Upvote 0
I don’t understand the point of Autofocus at -6 EV.
I quoted that, but didn't write that.
Any given Exposure Value (EV) is an absolute value. EV -6 is a fixed amount of light which is 6 stops less than EV 0.
I don't think he was referring to Exposure Compensation of the metering system, which maybe you were thinking.
I still think if this was true, there's going to be small print saying *in optimal conditions, which as we know, means rarely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0