Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Something occurring to me now:

When will any of the major stills camera manufacturers (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic) make a full frame mirrorless with an ergonomic body? Who'll be the first? It feels for now like everyone is chasing a small form factor, which doesn't interest me at all.

With 3D scanning and printing technology being what it is, I could see Canon offering a service where you stopped by your local camera store, they scanned your hands, and then 3D printed a 'body glove' that fit you perfectly. They then installed all the component modules, and you got YOUR camera (the EOS-TAF in my case). Custom fit to you.

For professionals, that would be worth a fair amount of money.

Once it became affordable (and it would), I think most enthusiasts would do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
The EOS R seems like a decent camera.... it will sell well, but there will be future iterations of it with improvements.... What I expect to see in a year is a high end mirrorless camera from Canon, and that’s where I expect to see the two UHS-2 card slots, the bigger buffers, faster frame rates, and better video.... in other words, a mirrorless 5D, with a price to match....

The EOS R is the Rebel of the lineup....
+1.

Upvote 0
My worry is what will happen with the M mount. It will obviously not be compatible with RF. My guess is that Canon will keep it as a cheapo system and will release 1 plastic lens per year with M mount. Quite disappointing.

M mount will remain as that system is for small and light. EF-S will likely go.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
So, now that the ranting & trolling is mostly over (until the official release, that is :p), I'm gonna do a Jordan Belfort, sell this camera to me, a long-time Canon DSLR owner with quite a few EF lenses. What's your sales pitch gonna be like, what's the value-added, why would I get this MILC over, say, a 6DII or a 7DII? What can this MILC do that I can't do with my existing DSLR? Create a demand for this camera for current Canon owners.

that's the problem. It is a hard sell to owners of current Canon FF DSLRs. EOS R gets you basically a 5D IV sensor [reviews pending], fully articulated Display, but less fps performance than even a 6D II, especially with Servo-AF. Video features are not fully clear yet. And it is not much smaller and lighter than a 6D II.

Price not known yet. So value proposition unclear. Relative to 6D II and 5D IV.

Only target groups i really see is if you 1. shoot mainly stationary/slow moving subjects and 2. drool over big fat fast glass and/or 3. with EF adapter as a backup FF body.

If you need fast Servo/Tracking AF, forget it - don't buy, wait for higher up model coming some day or look elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Why is every mirrorless camera expected to be tiny with small but super fast lenses (unobtainable )and has to be a professional video camera???

because for me [and presumably many other enthusiasts] it allows for a streamlined setup with only 1 camera for both types of use case: A) small body with small, slower glass (not fast!) when a small combo is desirable and sufficient for the task AND B) option to use large, fast or long glass any time it is really needed. But only then.

I will buy a small FF mirrorless with only a few compact, moderately fast lenses. All big/heavy/expensive glass rental, only when needed. Most economical way to go.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Sony have a track record of reliability in the vast majority of tech market segments they got involved.
The vast majority of the products they aimed to be quality and/or high end tech, usually excelled. I owned and used in various circumstances Sony products since 80s.

For decades broadcast video was spelled 'Sony gear' -- cameras, VTRs, switchers, etc. For the prices charged for this stuff it had to work 24/7/365.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
FFS I'm pronouncing it dead FOR ME.
This camera is DOA to 99.9% of my extended friends and family. None of them bother posting here to tell us that. I'm interested in this release even if it's not the camera for me. I look forward to learning more about any new technology involved with it, features, reviews and road maps and speculation where this first model will lead.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
no, too big, heavy and expensive. just wait until we see the price tag. launch price will be between 6D II and 5 D 4.

fanbois will defend it, saying "5D IV-class sensor and better video" without mentioning the "functionality nerfing" all-around. ;-)

it really seems Canon had planned to launch 2 cameras, just like Nikon (Z6/Z7) but could not finish the higher-specced body in time.

now they have a rather odd launch situation for an entirely new system including two hi-end RF lenses but only a very pedestrian low-end camera body. :)

We could read these tea leaves a host of ways:

1) Lenses really draw people to the system so regardless of the body spec at launch, the bright shiny thing would be the L lenses.

2) Canon may have a full EF mirrorless model at a pre-production stage (timing-wise behind the EOS R we've seen) -- ready if Nikon did the same with F mount -- but in absence of that announcement from Nikon there's no urgent need to commercialize it.

3) Canon honestly thinks the FF mirrorless market won't be segmented like in the past (Nikon: good/better/best, Canon: Good / all-arounder / best) and wants a 'tweener' play-to-all-comers starting model to frame up what the next move is.

But I agree that this camera's DNA is a blend of 6D2 and 5D4 and the form of it will be too small / underspec'd for a lot of people.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
2. a clear A9 killer at high end

100% Canon is not technically or strategically ready to deploy such a camera. They will allow the 'fail early and often' action to happen on the low end like they with EOS M and then work their way up.

I''ll say it. Canon is conservative as hell and would never put out something half-cooked, but they also may not be capable of making an A9 sort of rig at this moment. They may need some time to figure out a blackout free EVF, how to move 400 MP / second without overheating in a smaller body, etc. Or possibly they could make that camera, but with their quality standards it would be overdesigned, heavy, and cost $5000 to make.

Any way you shake it, they need to use the masses in the enthusiast world as a test populace to commercialize, refine and improve. The 5D/6D space is clearly the place for mirrorless FF to start.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sometimes I just wonder whether we are on a Canon Haters Forum...

Just on this thread. Specs bring out the tantrums and some 'low post accounts' :rolleyes: that magically show up just to throw some darts at us.

Go back to the thread where the body photos were leaked. It's nearly unbridled joy from the long-time folks that were waiting for this -- it was like kids opening up their presents at the Holidays.

- A

Upvote 0
I haven't read through all of the (at this point in time 350) comments, but one thing is missing from the eight pages I read so far: What colour are the R's focus points? Do they stay red when focus locks (like a 6D) or black (like a 6D2)? It's a consideration for me.

Otherwise, my thoughts (as someone who doesn't earn a living with his camera): First, I've invested in two L lenses (70-200 IS f4 and 400 f5.6), and don't want a system with an adaptor. Second, weight is a consideration in a camera body for me. Third, more focus points is a consideration. Fourth, I fear shortly Canon will signal the end of the EF line. And the way they will do it is by releasing fewer EF/EF-S bodies. I think camera companies expect most ILC buyers replace their cameras every five years. So five years from now you will be able to buy an EF-capable body that takes EF lenses without an adaptor -- but you will have fewer choices. Five years isn't that long away.

Upvote 0
The lack of IBIS is a 99% dealbraker for me. One of the main reasons i want a full frame mirrorless camera is the flexibility to use a huge range of lenses along the native ones, mostly talking about vintage lenses, some of which have unique esthetic character. This is one of the areas where IBIS would help. But wait, doesn't even Canon have modern glass without IS? Yes they have ... One of the winners for Sony was the appeal mirrorless cameras had for many creators offering them flexibility, customization and with the latest generation of cameras offering a mature set of features... It seemed just a natural evolution that Canon would make use of Sony's experience as a starting point, and come to the market adding to this. When few years professionals and enthusiasts come with a list of requests, your competition is implementing all that, resulting a successful line of products, the obvious thing is to learn and implement those things yourself using the benefit of jumping the learning curve at the expense of the competition. It appears that Canon want to re-invent the wheel on our expense, and i consider this a bad deal. Soon Canon will remain the only big name that doesn't implement IBIS. I find the entire marketing approach around the IS, IBIS and customer fidelity based on lens collection a very dirty approach, that makes me reconsider and eventually limit the use of canon gear.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
100% Canon is not technically or strategically ready to deploy such a camera. They will allow the 'fail early and often' action to happen on the low end like they with EOS M and then work their way up.

Agreed. I don't think it's a coincidence that this camera is designated simply "EOS R", like the first M was "EOS M". It's clear that this one is way more mature than the original M, but it does appear to be something they can iterate a bit without worrying about what exactly the whole lineup is going to look like in the future.

As a semi-serious note: For a while now Canon has differentiated their high-end/pro bodies with (among others) two features: number of card slots and... number of C modes (two and three respectively). But the new R has one card slow but three C modes! What does this mean?! Is nothing sacred anymore?

Upvote 0
Go back to the thread where the body photos were leaked. It's nearly unbridled joy...
Well yeah, because it was just photos. For some of us, specs matter, and we’re not apologists. We want the best tech and canon isn’t bringing that, whether it’s a lack of experience in the new tech or an unwilling to make a high spec camera and risk cannibalizing their high end dslr market. Which honestly is fine, if that’s the marketing strategy that they want to use, more power to them.
For people like me it’s now a decision of whether we wait until they hopefully release an actual pro version or we move to a different brand with third party adapters for our canon glass (or just sell them and get some first party mounted glass).

Canon isn’t going to make everyone happy. Some people want the best specs & quickly and some people want the conservative approach. I think for people like me it’s whether they will even mention the pro version tba on the 5th.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Of everything being announced this week the only item I'll likely get in the next 6 months is the Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM. I'll just keep enjoying my EF-M as far as mirrorless goes, and wait on FF mirrorless for a while.

Anyway, I don't see a wired remote plug in the pdf spec. Call me old school, but I don't want to be doing dawn patrol for sunrise shots fumbling around with a softphone as my only remote option.

(There is an Extension System Terminal mentioned, but that apparently is for the wireless file transfer module accessory.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0