Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

KT

Feb 2, 2012
Knew that was a touch bar! Finally a 21st century upgrade!
It would have been awesome if that gizmo could be assigned to control the AF point selection. That would have more than adequately made up for the lack of AF joystick. Now, you'll just have to trust the sensor to read out faces and focus on the right one with little outside help.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It would have been awesome if that gizmo could be assigned to control the AF point selection. That would have more than adequately made up for the lack of AF joystick. Now, you'll just have to trust the sensor to read out faces and focus on the right one with little outside help.
I can't tell from spec sheet, but it could have selection from touch screen which imo is much faster and better for selecting focus points compared to a joystick.

Upvote 0
Canon did it again on purpose, not FHD 1080 @ 120fps ?? Why?
Yup. It’s sadly a no go for me dawg. No ibis, no 120fps@1080, no dual cards. It has some nice features, but it’s not worth me upgrading from my T7i. I’m going to either wait for the more professional body in the next 6 months, so probably go to the A7iii. Sigh, and I really wanted to stay with Canon

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So they took a Canon 6D2, ripped out the mirror and tweaked it a little bit. Looks OK but it's definitely not revolutionary, just another incremental upgrade. I don't have a problem with a single card slot (99.999% of users don't need more either) but am a little disappointing not to see IBIS. Don't think I will be in a hurry to upgrade my current bodies to this one - doesn't really offer enough to warrant an upgrade from the last two generations of their DSLRs but it's a pretty decent camera in its own right and will sell well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
If this camera comes in at $2200 or less, it's going to be a massive hit with very little room for criticisms at this price point. The lack of dual cards is a bummer, as I had already decided I would sell my 5D4 to fund this switch, but I don't think I can risk that with the amount of weddings and critical work I do in the publishing industry.

But I'm happy to see it supports UHS-II and has a pretty deep buffer... although the continuous shooting with AF priority is only 3fps and without AF priority (misses a LOT on the M5 and M50 in this mode) is 5fps...so this isn't going to even be an optional idea as a sports camera.

Battery life is what I expected. Real world we will see around 500-600 shots and maybe 1000-1200 with a grip.

Lack of in body IS is certainly a bummer and I don't know why eye AF would be included on the M50, then apparently absent from this camera. This was the only Sony feature I truly envied. Oh well...I guess I have to do the work and not the camera.

I will be buying this for sure and am excited to see the next several bodies that come down the line.

Is the high resolution body going to be called EOS RR or EOS RSR? LOL

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So they took a Canon 6D2, ripped out the mirror and tweaked it a little bit. Looks OK but it's definitely not revolutionary, just another incremental upgrade. I don't have a problem with a single card slot (99.999% of users don't need more either) but am a little disappointing not to see IBIS. Don't think I will be in a hurry to upgrade my current bodies to this one - doesn't really offer enough to warrant an upgrade from the last two generations of their DSLRs but it's a pretty decent camera in its own right and will sell well.

Yeah, looks like the a7 3 and z6 competition, but with higher mps. Keen to see what improvements are in the sensor compared to the 5dmk4.

Upvote 0
That's a LOT of AF points. I have to think though that at that point it's a bit of diminishing returns, but this thing may be the new king of AF nonetheless. Battery life is a bit disappointing though slightly better than the Nikon Z and both will probably be sufficient in the real world anyway.

BUT, if it is indeed a single SD card, that is very disappointing indeed. Nikon at least has the excuse of the larger XQD cards as well as the promise of extremely fast CFExpress cards. A single SD is really, really underwhelming for a mid-to-high-end camera in 2018.

Otherwise, it looks like they've about achieved parity with the Sony A7III and Nikon Z6. Not quite the power play that I thought they might pull.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Some facts from PDF

Has Electronic shutter
There is a 1.6x crop mode to use EF-S lenses (Never imagined Canon would let people use the EF-S lenses on a full frame MILC)
4K is 3840x2160
codec: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
AA filter
No 1080p 120fps
720p 120fps limited to 7:29 minutes
Sounds like USB charging is only allowed with USB Power Adapter PD-E1 (It says this "In-camera charging: although it is compatible with USB Type-C (5V/1.5A) equivalent, do not charge the camera other than with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1")

Unknowns at this point
Price
EVF resolution
IBIS - most likely will not be there
eye AF - most likely it will not be there
Electronic shutter speed
Flash sync speed
4k crop factor
C-log
Focus peaking
Zebras
HDMI output specs

Highlight Alert: The white areas with no image data will blink. Anyone know what that is?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Highlight Alert: The white areas with no image data will blink. Is that Zebra or similar?

That might be similar to the current set up where it blinks during the review, not as useful as zebras as it doesn't help during shooting, only in chimping. Certainly good to have at minimum

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon did it again on purpose, not FHD 1080 @ 120fps ?? Why?

Not really on purpose. As I suspected they haven't been able to increase their sensors' readout speed at this price point. This is why you get this 720p only 120 fps spec, the 3fps with focus priority tracking, etc.
As a result, we may also get the following : no live view feed in continuous drive mode (we'll only see a slideshow of the previous pictures taken), very slow scan time in fully electronic shutter, 12 bit raw in some continuous modes, and, I'm afraid : cropped 4K, or FF 4K with line skipping and severe rolling shutter.
On the plus side though this gives me very strong M50 vibes in terms of pricing strategy. Which will then makes the launch lenses nonsensical, at least as far as the initial R consumers are concerned, as there's only one non L lens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0