Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Apr 15, 2015
So I'll say it. DPRAW + 8 fps seals it. EOS R is (kinda) a mirrorless 5D4.

If this is $2000, I'd be completely stunned.

- A

No, it's 8FPS with one-shot AF. If you use AI-servo it's 5fps at most in release priority (with a laundry list of options that will slow that down) and a paltry 3fps in tracking priority mode. This is a significant difference to a 5D Mark IV. To me that kind of difference in continuous shooting speed really thins out the number of people this camera will be good for. There's lots of people who use the 5D4 for sports and wildlife (myself included) because it actually walks a nice line between speed and file resolution. With those kinds of slow continuous speeds on the EOS R, there's no way I can use it to replace a 5D4. Not sure I'd even carry it as a backup!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would say thank you to CanonRumors (and insider Nokishita-san obviously) about these important news.
So we can understand better what's happen on market.
I agree with all you about another opportunity totally lost by Canon. I can still work with my solid Eos 5D IV (with right ergonomics, dial wheel and joystick), my good Zeiss and Sigma Art lenses, and buy in relax a second body Sony a7R III.
I don't wanna be another time beta-tester dummy for Canon (and Nikon also), maybe either second or third generation will be more honest choices. Thank you again to all guys that work at this website. Very appreciate.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
While looking for information or leads regarding Eye-AF I noticed something in that fact sheet that doesn't seem right.

View attachment 180078

It seems this is from another camera, no?
Nope. The QCD just moved to the top right panel. Cross keys are located down & to the right side.

Upvote 0
Not really on purpose. As I suspected they haven't been able to increase their sensors' readout speed at this price point. This is why you get this 720p only 120 fps spec, the 3fps with focus priority tracking, etc.
As a result, we may also get the following : no live view feed in continuous drive mode (we'll only see a slideshow of the previous pictures taken), very slow scan time in fully electronic shutter, 12 bit raw in some continuous modes, and, I'm afraid : cropped 4K, or FF 4K with line skipping and severe rolling shutter.
On the plus side though this gives me very strong M50 vibes in terms of pricing strategy. Which will then makes the launch lenses nonsensical, at least as far as the initial R consumers are concerned, as there's only one non L lens.

I'll fix it for you - most probably their current sensor tech for stills cameras is not capable to do it at any price point. Unless they have some different chip in their sleeves for a higher end model, don't expect miracles even with more high specced model ....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Price it at 1.6K-1.7K and all the whining would disappear. Canon can sell this at a slight loss if they want, knowing they can make up for it with the new R lenses.

Agreed with the price. And at the price you suggest, Canon wouldn't sell it at a loss. The R is a simple, cheap camera to make with very few required alignment steps during manufacturing.

But they absolutely won't make up for it with the R lenses. Because only the 35mm f1.8 really is coherent with what the R is shaping up to be : a "cheap and cheerful" camera. That 28-70 f2 ? It will be a nice heirloom that will stay glued to the stores' shelves until Canon releases a body to match it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'll fix it for you - most probably their current sensor tech for stills cameras is not capable to do it at any price point. Unless they have some different chip in their sleeves for a higher end model, don't expect miracles even with more high specced model ....

I agree with you, I was just being nice (we're on Canonrumors.com after all...) :D. People expecting Canon to come up with an A9 competitor any time soon are in for a disappointment.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Is Fv mode the new Flexible Priority AE mode? I was hoping Canon would copy Pentax's HyperProgram mode, TAv mode (Shutter&Aperture Priority) & ISO priority (Sv, Sensitivity Value) modes.

I think so. I have a feeling that Canon has tried quite a few interesting things with UI / controls, particularly regarding exposure. Whether they're successful implementations or not we'll see but I'm glad to see some attempts in that area.

Upvote 0