Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Ever used it?

I have. Completely overrated and unnecessary - just another example of a pointless gimmick that serves no actual useful purpose.

It's one of the essential features using the 1DX with the 'right' lens: can't see why (apart from marketing) that it's not on the 5D4. I realise that the 1-series outgun everything, but can't see why the 5-series doesn't have all the software/menu options that exist? Sometimes pros need a smaller more discrete body (with exactly the same setup).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Single SD card slot. It is not a pro-level camera like 5DIV. It is a prosumer camera like 6D2 with a better sensor. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It is a good camera, it's just not at 5DIV level.

I didn‘t say that. All I wanted to point out is that there are substantial differences compared to the 6D mk II :). I agree that it‘s more pointed towards prosumers than pros.

Upvote 0
As always, the proof will be in the pudding.
I'll wait for full reviews. I have never pre-ordered equipment, and only once did I order right after first release/reviews (The Sony PXW-X70 - nice little camera). I don't like to have to struggle through that first wave of firmware updates and little frustrations. It can take 6 months to tweak these things.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
not that concerned about IBIS, it would be nice but no big deal, I dont see the point of have stabilized lenses and body at the same time.
only thing i want is Eye AF, and much better dynamic range
IBIS and lens IS are combine and work together in Sony, Fuji and Olympus ML bodies. While lens IS works best for long focal lengths, IBIS works for all lenses.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
No. Not going to happen. RF lenses resolve to a shorter flange distance.

I'm just not buying any fatalistic takes on EF. EF is not going anywhere! Canon is just launching this new mount and will take a decade to get it where it needs to be to stand alone from EF. Over that time, Canon will continue to refresh EF glass.

- A
Hi - you are right - my fault - of course you cannot mount RF lens on EF mount because of flange distance.
About EF lens future. I see Canon launches new EF lenses, but at some point in future, it will be doomed if new bodies (5 years from now or so) at not having EF mount.
And that whats annoying me. I see my lens investment as something to last 10+ / 15+ years from the time of purchase. I will still have my 6D 3-5 years from now. But will I by new expensive EF lenses (24-70 f/2.8 mk2 L) if it is not the future? - probably not.
So I am very curious about what Canon is up to on the EF mount. Time will show. In the meanwhile I will enjoy taking pictures with my 6D, and my nice little collection on lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I really like the specs...

But you save some size on the camera and then need to carry 4 batteries.

It really depends what you use it for, turning it off instead of leaving it on standby can save a fair amount of power, but this is one thing where a DSLR may have the edge(they can recover from standby faster as well). But carrying more batteries with a smaller camera is still more convenient than a big camera. ymmv

Upvote 0
Totally agree. In fact I was hoping a little more from the EOS-R. If it turned out to have a few more features (i.e., dual cards, IBIS) I likely would have sold my M50 that accompanies my 5DMarkIV. But based on what I am seeing here I see no point. I will keep the M50 for a while as it is an awesome little gem (and lightweight) and will wait to see the next EOS-R has in store for us. Now mind you if for some reason there is crazy DR game changer then and only then will I reconsider.

I love the M50 and think very highly of it. At its European introduction price (I thought that it was a little more expensive than it should have been in the US), I think that it's Canon's best body release in years, comprehensively outclassing the competition. Nothing can touch its combination of features and ease of use at this price point. Thinking of it it seems that Canon is one of the few remaining players making a big effort in the entry-level, feeder cameras market.

The R could be Canon's feeder camera for FF mirrorless, but I think that there are a few issues. First, it's not going to feed that many higher grade cameras if Canon continues to have a few difficulties with their sensors' readout speed. Let's hope they'll get that sorted out but the 6DII was a blow to my confidence in them and that release is not going to help. And the lenses they're releasing at launch are completely dichotomous with the idea of an entry level FF camera, other than the 35mm f1.8. It's as if these L lenses are waiting for a body that Canon couldn't get out in time.

Upvote 0
Oh how the worm turns from yesterday's orgy of info. People were elated then.

I think we've come back down to earth a bit tonight:
  • No IBIS (by omission)
  • No Eye AF (ditto, but implied above by Canon News Guy)
  • Single card (again, not stated but implied)
  • Video folks don't have all the details yet, but 1080x120 didn't materialize
  • Battery life is better than Nikon but a big gap behind Sony
  • 8 fps... Unless you want to shoot burst with Servo AF :rolleyes:
EOS R is probably going to be great, but it you had a wishlist for specs (that wasn't bats-- unreasonable), at least one of your hopes probably just got dashed tonight.

But I'll reiterate: You can read this negatively as a nerfed or (more likely) hard-to-completely-deliver-in-mirrorless version of the 5D4 on some specs, or you can read it positively as a 5D4 with a tilty-flippy, better lowlight focusing and a silent shutter.

I choose the latter, but I brace for impact on price. Nikon just asked for full asking of the D850 for the Z7, and Canon may do the same vs. the 5D4.

- A
For my purposes, I would call it a 5D4 Lite. I don’t think many will find it useful for sports or BIF shooting. But pretty competitive otherwise. Also a few advantages as you point out. So, i’m Guessing $2600. W/ EF-R Adapter.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Can't wait to see an independent Sony, Nikon, Canon comparison.
I am very happy with my 5DIV Kit...Have ten lenses....not changing anytime soon, nor am I putting an adapter on to mount to a small body. :)
I have an extensive Olympus Kit, which are my favorite cameras..and am quite content to just observe the goings on here. Want to know how this camera actually compares to the Sony...just for the intellectual exercise... Also..want to see if the rumors about at Dual-Mount Mirrorless Model are true? Canon is supposed to release 2 Mirrorless cameras...I think?
Just watching and enjoying the developments. Not excited to change anything...I LOVE my current gear. :)

Upvote 0
True, but then widest 4K footage you can get is limited to around 16mm equivalent (or 108 degrees, with a 10-18mm EF-S lens), which is probably wide enough for most people, but less than that is achievable with sony bodies. Having said that, 5DIV has a 4K crop factor of 1.74x, so I am not sure if EOS R will have the same spec.

A crop factor of 1.75 makes sense because the cameras hozizontal res of 6720 pixels divided by 3840 4k resolution gives exactly that number. So it's a 1:1 mapping of physical pixels to video file pixels. I am glad to have the EF-S 10-22 and if the camera provides CA correction it will be definitely a good lens (very low distortion for ultra wides) with an effective focal length of 1.75/1.6 x 10 = 11mm.
Most important things might be for videographers: DPAF must work, good overall IQ of the files.

By the way: I like the Technicolor image style which can be used freely on all Canon cameras providing a flat curve for (1) better grading headroom and (2) for stills a great style to check for highlight / shadow recovery headroom. So maybe a good workaround if you do not have some log styles.

Upvote 0
Hi - you are right - my fault - of course you cannot mount RF lens on EF mount because of flange distance.
About EF lens future. I see Canon launches new EF lenses, but at some point in future, it will be doomed if new bodies (5 years from now or so) at not having EF mount.
And that whats annoying me. I see my lens investment as something to last 10+ / 15+ years from the time of purchase. I will still have my 6D 3-5 years from now. But will I by new expensive EF lenses (24-70 f/2.8 mk2 L) if it is not the future? - probably not.
So I am very curious about what Canon is up to on the EF mount. Time will show. In the meanwhile I will enjoy taking pictures with my 6D, and my nice little collection on lenses.
You and I share a similar fear with the EF mount fading away. I own 16-35 v3, 35 1.4v2 , 100 macro, 85 1.4, 300 2.8 v2, 600 f4 v2, 1dxmkii, 1 dc, c200 and a few cinema lenses and a ton of cf and Cfast. They are releasing new ef lenses and it makes me wonder if they will keep two eco systems

Upvote 0