Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Aug 21, 2018
No IBIS, no Eye AF, no 1080/120, no native 24-70 lens.
Goodbye Canon, hello Sony!
I've waited for way too long just for this announcement to decide whether I should make the switch. Canon have definitely made up my mind for me.

I might be finally jumping ship as well. But I've waited a long time at this point and will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for independent reviews.. and the full release so we can know the official 100% spec list.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
I might be finally jumping ship as well. But I've waited a long time at this point and will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for independent reviews.. and the full release so we can know the official 100% spec list.

I've waited a long time too. I suspect a lot of us have. If this is the entry FF at around a 2K price, then I think it's a great package and I'll be more than happy to wait for reviews and another 6 months for the pro model. But if this is "the pro model" and priced above 3K, it's probably time to move. So my hopes are:

1. A roughly 2K price.
2. Official announcement that a pro model is in development and coming by next summer.

I think at least item 1 is very likely.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
All in all, I think Canon have produced an excellent camera with the EOS R as their debut full-frame mirrorless. What it lacks for in frames per second compared to the competition, it more than makes up for in autofocus points and AF performance. The fully articulating screen is a huge improvement over the rivals. And Canon has by far surpassed Sony and Nikon in terms of desirable launch glass. The wildcard here is the price - hopefully it's very competitive.

I'm not surprised that it doesn't have blockbuster features right out of the gate. With it using a brand new mount, Canon would have to be fifty shades of stupid to build a camera that eclipses the performance of their bread-and-butter DSLRs and the huge library of highly profitable EF glass. The RF lens library needs to grow significantly before we start seeing the EOS 1R models (1D X equivalents) that have the specs most of us are hoping for. Although the impressive launch lineup of RF glass makes me optimistic this will happen sooner rather than later.

Now for my musings on what the EOS R could bring to the table.

Does the ultra-fast AF mean this camera will debut the next gen DPAF? Canon have a couple patents for some impressive revisions - this might be a camera that can compete with the A9 in terms of AF acquisition speed if it's packing a new DPAF architecture.

Has Dual Pixel RAW been improved in terms of focus depth? I guess this would go hand-in-hand with a revision to the DPAF architecture if it's true. DP RAW that can move the plane of sharp focus forward or backward up to a distance of 10-15mm would be a massive improvement. A lot of portrait, fashion, and beauty photographers would kill for such a feature.

Does Canon have any intentions of using eye tracking technology to become an optional mode for AF control? NOT Eye AF in the sense of locking focus to the eye of the subject in the scene (although I expect they'll add that via firmware if it's not available at launch), but rather eye tracking technology for the photographer in selecting the AF point. Canon implemented a form of this way back in the day, but it never really caught on. In this day and age with focus points covering the whole sensor area, and a total number of selectable AF points numbering in the thousands, I expect this would be the perfect time to bring it back as an optional feature for AF point selection.

With the new RF lens protocol, is there a chance Canon could introduce a few specialty lenses to the RF lineup, like central shutter lenses? The Leica S for example has the ability to use focal plane shutter, or central (leaf) shutter if the lens supports it. Granted these wouldn't be high volume sellers, but there might be a market sufficiently large enough to pay a little extra for a lens with a 1/2000 second flash sync speed. While I'm doubtful Canon would create such lenses, the throughput of the RF protocol would likely be more than fast enough to support all focus, image stabilization, aperture control, and custom functions on the lens in addition to a central shutter. It could just be another unique feature that makes the EOS R an enticing platform.

I have a few more thoughts on the potential for the EOS R system, but I'll stop myself from spouting exposition.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
it is the friggin' NERFED Canon "Auto-ISO" implementation, that has been the plague in Rebel and xxD class mirrorslappers for decades. I would not have thought they'd dare to implement this sh*t little piece of FIRMWARE code in an FF camera in late 2018.

As has been said, it is ridiculous to expect Auto ISO in BULB mode where the camera cannot know how long the shutter is going to be open. That aside, the spec sheet actually seems to say that Auto ISO won't be fixed at 400 in AvTvM modes when a flash is used, unlike previous Canon bodies!

But what's the Fv mode mentioned there?!

Upvote 0
As has been said, it is ridiculous to expect Auto ISO in BULB mode where the camera cannot know how long the shutter is going to be open. That aside, the spec sheet actually seems to say that Auto ISO won't be fixed at 400 in AvTvM modes when a flash is used, unlike previous Canon bodies!

But what's the Fv mode mentioned there?!

Not fixing and ISO in Av mode to 400 would definitely be a good news. I would welcome it even as a "fix" for the 5DIV. As for a Fv, ppl at Fred Miranda's forum were mentioning some Focus mode, whatever it might mean. I thought that focus mode = Av though, as a focus / field of depth.

Upvote 0
Still holding out that Canon's pro-level mirrorless will be native EF mount. But now seeing the RF 50 1.2L and 28-70L, it's apparent that EF is going to die quicker than I want. Canon is going to want to push pros to getting those lenses. Maybe we'll get lucky and the 5DV and 1DXIII will be mirrorless designs with EF mount to hold us over as the RF line matures, but I doubt it. I predict only pro-grade RF mount moving forward.

Upvote 0
No FHD 120fps is just pure and utter crippling, and no I don't need it, but geez.
While I don't need 1080@120 fps, I do need uncroppes 4k. Settling for 720@120 fps gives me the sneaking suspicion(slow sensor readout) there'll be a large crop on 4k like the 5D mark 4. If we do get the uncropped 4K , it'll have some incredible rolling shutter.

If it has IBIS, it'll be a killer photography camera with the rumored price tag.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
30 years or so ago, I bought a Leatherman multi-tool for camping. Several friends had bought similar pocket tools. I was proud of how my tool had just the tools I actually might need. One friend was quick to point out that mine didn't have a cork-screw. "I don't drink wine." was my response. For weeks though, whenever the subject of these tools came up, my friend would point out to everyone "Ken's doesn't even have a cork-screw."

I came to realize some people buy things solely for bragging rights. I can't relate.

p.s. My friend didn't drink wine either. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Still holding out that Canon's pro-level mirrorless will be native EF mount. But now seeing the RF 50 1.2L and 28-70L, it's apparent that EF is going to die quicker than I want. Canon is going to want to push pros to getting those lenses. Maybe we'll get lucky and the 5DV and 1DXIII will be mirrorless designs with EF mount to hold us over as the RF line matures, but I doubt it. I predict only pro-grade RF mount moving forward.

Now that they have this new mount and the L glasses for the RF mount, I do not believe they will make any MILC with EF mount. But my guess is that Canon will come up with the next version of 1DX which will be a DSLR and may be the next version of 5D as DSLR as well while they build the arsenal of RF lenses. This will also ensure when their high end MILC comes out there are plenty of RF glass that pros can make use of. That might be in another 5 years down the line. I wonder if Canon will come up with the new version of 5DsR and if they are will that be an MILC? Personally I prefer that as a MILC. If it is an MILC and coming out in next year or 2 that might not have impressive 4k video as well meaning 4k without crop, good codec, focus magnification, c log, focus peaking, zebras, etc....

Upvote 0
Looks like a nice little shooter. Lenses are better than I anticipated but I'd say the camera is right on the mark as long as it hits a 6D level price. Canon may price a little higher than that at launch to capture pent up demand but hopefully they go low to drive adoption of the new mount. The R plus that 28-70 F2 is going to be an awesome low light event rig for those that need. It's Canon so I think we can assume the video specs will underwhelm but actual performance will be perfectly fine for the minority who actually shoot video. If its 4K30P I think we can assume that means it reads an 8MP / 1:1 crop similar to the 5D4. Hopefully the read speeds/rolling shutter aren't too bad so it can be used handheld/gimbaled. You can't please everybody but seems like a good first outing for Canon. I'd park one in my garage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0