Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Apr 25, 2011
I've been carrying Leatherman's for 30 or more years now also, the last thing I'd ever use it for is to pull a cork out of a wine bottle.....it's my work tool not my wine tasting tool ! LOL ;)
If I were carrying a Leatherman, I would likely not use its cork screw either. I have a Victorinox for that (and I do use it to open wine bottles on vacations).

B-roll for vlogs?
For weddings, I think.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
(...) now Canon all going that way I do not have any hope
the old focus distance scale will come back.

It looks like there is no need for it anymore, since the
distance is projected inside the EVF or on the back LCD.

This will likely be more precise than engraved on the lens barrel.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
You and I share a similar fear with the EF mount fading away. I own 16-35 v3, 35 1.4v2 , 100 macro, 85 1.4, 300 2.8 v2, 600 f4 v2, 1dxmkii, 1 dc, c200 and a few cinema lenses and a ton of cf and Cfast. They are releasing new ef lenses and it makes me wonder if they will keep two eco systems

According to B&H, Canon sells some 68 EF lenses. RF will soon have four.

As far as ecosystems go, one is a newly formed village and the other is a bustling metropolis.

Discussion of EF going away is comically premature. Canon can't even begin to have that conversation for 10 years.

- A

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
It looks like there is no need for it anymore, since the
distance is projected inside the EVF or on the back LCD.

This will likely be more precise than engraved on the lens barrel.

The distance scale projected in the display is good but accuracy part I would say we will have to wait and see because it is a piece of software translating the position of focusing group elements? to a distance scale. Nonetheless it can be improved over time even if it is not accurate initially.

Upvote 0
Unusable, insane bitrates with recording limits. Maybe motion jpeg, again
If the recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec. (or 7 min. 29 sec. for a HD High Frame Rate Movie), the movie shooting will stop automatically.
4K (UHD) 35 min on 128Gb card with 480 Mbps
Oh, Canon! We know you can... but you won't, only for a kidney.

Upvote 0
B-roll for vlogs? I'm not really into video processing and I don't care much about video features. I realise it's for slowing 4x down? That is, many people so desperately want 4x slowdown instead of just 2x that they won't buy an otherwise suitable camera?
Again same question here. For B-roll, you need multi-camera setup, and doing so, you need cameras with time code in and out, which is something that most of photography oriented cameras are not capable of. Furthermore, editing is time consuming because of precises insertion the scenes between takes. Therefore, it is definitely not for a one-person-show vloggers and not for everyday photographers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Let's break down these current dealbreakers, shall we?

* IBIS - well, we don't have a full spec sheet yet, let's wait for the announce proper. Yes, it would be nice. With good IS is it a deal breaker? sure, if you're trying to make a professional film. Otherwise, it'll be great for vlogging, B-Roll, youtube content etc - of which there is a gigantic market. And for the professional cinematographer, the cinema range.

* 120FPS - W H O C A R E S. Seriously. Buy a GoPro. Use your celphone. Slow motion is gargantuanly overused, and there's still 60FPS which will suit most purposes. Yes, Canon have ignored the parkour / skateboarding crowd with this camera. I'm sure they're very sad.

* Intervalometer / Spectrometer / Blood pressure monitor / other tiny thing - Yes, these don't exist.

This site is full of people desperate to find every scrap of information on something that isn't out yet, so they can tell you all about how it's bad. A couple of unarguable facts:
1. Canon have a far better understanding of their market, audience and their prioritised needs that you or I do.
2. No camera can ever suit every shooter.

If you're going to criticise something that doesn't even exist yet, you also don't have a full picture of the facts. Some of us are excited for this - I think Canon have nailed a market point to be a lot of people's second camera, and a tool that's not only going to stop a lot of Sony jumpers (not all of them, and that's everyone's individual perogative) and appeal to a lot of newer shooters in their 20s. Bottom line: It's not always all about you.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
No IBIS, no Eye AF, no 1080/120, no native 24-70 lens.
Goodbye Canon, hello Sony!
I've waited for way too long just for this announcement to decide whether I should make the switch. Canon have definitely made up my mind for me.

Good for you. Bye- bye. I'm sure you will enjoy complainting about Sony color, ergonomics, expensive lenses, poor exposure metering and all their other shortcomings on the Sony forums. But you will have IBIS and eye-AF!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Well, the Z6 has IBIS (i can live without as i did before, i don't care much) and 12FPS with AF (AE locked but that is less of a problem).

And top speed is only available with compressed RAW or JPG. Just like with EOS R, there is fine print on burst, apparently.

Keep in mind that we haven't the same level of spec specificity with Nikon as with Canon. No major PDF or manual has surfaced on either Nikon camera.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The focusing points sounds amazing, which isn't surprising as I'm using the good old 5dii.

However, just a tiny bit disappointed as there is no confirmation of either Eye-Af or IBIS.

Can't wait for the price and it's dynamic range.

What, you can afford an $87.4M keeper but you can't afford a recent camera?!

Some global brand you turned out to be. ;) #ynwa

- A

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Neuro is our AF expert and I'd imagine he'd have something to say about Fullstop's comment. :rolleyes:

I believe EOS R's AF system will function very well in low light, but Canon appears to have pulled a marketing fast one here -- but just a bit. I've seen sensitivity claims made with everything from f/1.4 to f/2.8 lenses, but here they have indeed made the claim based on a f/1.2 lens.

But I don't believe the statement:

EV -6 to 18 (f/1.2, at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100, One-Shot AF)​

Means that the AF sensitivity wheels come off the bus if you are not shooting an f/1.2 lens. I believe it gradually steps down with lens speed. Again, I await Neuro's take on this.

But in full fairness to Fullstop, it would appear that even if the focusing works in a dark cave as advertised, we're shooting in M if we do. His metering catch is a good one.

- A

Correct. EOS R
EV -6 at f1.2 (from spec sheet)
EV -5 at f1.4 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)
EV -4 at f2.0 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)
EV -3 at f2.8 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)
It looks like this applies to all AF points

5DIV (from manual)
EV -3 at f/2.8 (center AF point only)
EV -4 (f-stop not specified, likely applies to all AF points)

Either way, it is at least as sensitive as the 5DIV AF in the center. This is really really good.
Canon is showing of a 100-400 with 2x extender (= f11 max aperture). Based on that we can assume that the EOS R AF will focus at f11.
If this AF is even half decent at tracking, we have a winner.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Where do we see NO ibis? It's not a full list yet. we just dunno.

Dunno, but that's a reeeeeeeally deep spec list. IBIS would have made that, surely, or it would have shown up secondarily as a condition of battery life or limits of AF function (or something, I'm just riffing here).

They might have snuck in a second card if it was identical -- no need to itemize the specs again for a redundant item. But they specifically listed the weight as:
"Approx. 1.46 lbs. / 660g (including battery, SD memory card [<--as in singular]; without body cap)"

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
According to B&H, Canon sells some 68 EF lenses. RF will soon have four.

As far as ecosystems go, one is a newly formed village and the other is a bustling metropolis.

Discussion of EF going away is comically premature. Canon can't even begin to have that conversation for 10 years.

- A

I agree the EF mount will not die at least within another decade easily. But my guess is that Canon will not release any more new EF lenses beyond 2021 they will concentrate on the RF lenses. I do think the next DSLRs will be 7D3 and 1Dx3 and 5D5. 90D and 5DsR2 are less probable possibilities. I prefer MILC as replacement for 90D and 5DsR though. In the meantime Canon will build the arsenal of lenses and be ready for pros to take advantage of when the higher end bodies comes out. I would be happy if they replace all the bodies with MILC in the next iteration but I am sure they will not because of the lack of lenses.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
But isnt the pdf with the full details or it can be more?

Looks pretty full to me, but the lack of Eye AF (more a mode than something you spec list or quantify, possibly?) and Flash Sync speed (a rock solid 2nd tier spec you'd expect to see on something this granular) implies that we still have a little more to learn about EOS R.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My guess is they are going to shock you with a US $2200 price, but we'll know soon enough. ☺️

And if this is indeed their entry level FF camera with a low price, it will speak volumes about Canon''s interest in moving it's user base to mirrorless (and the the RF mount).

I agree there is an incentive to get folks into the system right now with a discount:
  • It would keep people loyal. It's hard to flip to a competitor if you just sunk major money into a Canon system

• Most people will buy a few RF lenses right out of the gate, which could have higher margins than the body itself. A 6D2 or 5D4, in comparison, doesn't guarantee lens sales as folks may own FF glass already. So a mature FF body portfolio has to be much more rigid on holding price (can't rely nearly as much on lens pullthrough) to be profitable.

• They believe they have a highly functioning product, and once people use it they'll be delighted and want more
But -- and this is a huge but -- it's very hard to raise price after you offer something affordable like this. This spec-per-dollar value proposition will be the expectation going forward. So there is absolutely long term financial risk in just giving people what they want (i.e. a $2k FF mirrorless rig).

I'm intrigued on pricing here. My guess is well north of $2k.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0