Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Thanks for the explanation, started on M6 thinking in the near future would see the 1080p 120fps to go for it, but too many years of waiting and now this when others can do it, depressing...time to look for other options.

Well, on the other hand, I am no expert on such stuff. I just use some common sense of what I know about product iterations and Canon's willingness to lead the inovation in certain segment. Their Cinema EOS line shows, that they can do better. But - as for stills cameras, their last innovations seem to be DPAF and on-chip ADC. We will see, what EOS-R sensor is all about. Might be as well new generation with promissing future potential.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
There's nothing wrong with going to Sony, if you want their camera on balance. If on the other hand you've just mentally made Canon hoops to jump through, and they've instead gone in a different direction, that's very much a you , not them, problem.

I think The new Nikon and this Eos R, and likely whatever Panasonic are about to put out really muddy the water considerably for new starters. For people with brand-specific glass, each big player just stopped 3/4 of it's haemorrhaging to Sony. Sony remain highly specced but with flaws, at an attractive entry point. That's always going to bring new people in. And while competition exists, it's great for the consumer as it lowers price and drives innovation. None of this is a bad thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Correct. EOS R
EV -6 at f1.2 (from spec sheet)
EV -5 at f1.4 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)

Again, I wait for Neuro (to correct me, not you!), but an f/1.2 lens is not a stop brighter than an f/1.4 lens.:geek:

So it's more like:

EV -6 at f1.2 (from spec sheet)​
EV -5.5ish at f1.4 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)​
EV -4.5ish at f2.0 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)​
EV -3.5ish at f2.8 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)​

And yes, all of those are great figures, esp. if it's at any AF point. That's far far better than my 5D3.

But Fullstop is on to something with AF low light sensitivity > metering low light sensitivity. That means in really low light we need to be shooting in M to get the most of the AF. Wonder how that would work if I left it in Av: AF would lock but... then what? Would it not take a shot, would it horribly pooch the metering, etc.?

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No IBIS and only 5 frames per second in servo... Big pass for me.
Hi,
IMHO, IBIS doesn't always work well in all lens especially the longer focal length lens.... that's why Sony longer focal length lens also have optical image stabilizer in them. Also, if your camera IBIS stuck or fail, all your lens loss image stabilization.

Have a nice day.

PS: Still waiting for 7D3, but will it become 7DR3 (sound like something in star wars :p )???

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
You are excited so no one else should have any opinion against it? that's what the typical fan boy thinks. "It's not always all about you." Hope that apples to you as well ;)

Please show where I've said no-one should have an opinion against it? If you can't differentiate between being pointlessly negative, and cautious speculation / qualified reservations then you're precisely who I'm talking about. For the record, I capped off with a point that if people think Sony offers the best for them, to go get it. I'm system agnostic - I very much enjoy Canon and am looking forward to this being properly announced and reviewed, is all.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Why go mirrorless?
Smaller size - Yes the camera appears to be smaller
FPS - 5FPS on AI Servo - Not good
Silent Shutter - I assume it has this
IBIS - No
Eye Focus - No but it has the normal Canon face focus
Not compelling

Why stick with Canon -
The large EF lens collection that you have. The adapter needs to work like a dream.
The assumption that Canon can produce a camera at least on par with Sony - This one isn't
Usability - surely good to use - if not that would be terribly disappointing. Am I correct no toggle key? I personally don't like touch screen Autofocus.

Would I buy a Canon mirrorless camera - yes definitely I would
Will I buy this one - no I think I won't unless detailed reviews tell me something great about the camera that the specs don't show.
They'll have to follow up within the next 6 months with a better camera

Am I disappointed - yes - were my expectation high - well slightly but I wasn't looking for something that's not within Canon's reach (or at least I thought it wasn't).
They've been making digital cameras for years now. Mirrorless shouldn't be that big a leap for them given their M series experience.
I've huge respect for Canon DSLR's and the Lens range.
Maybe they just can't keep up with Sony on mirrorless.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I agree the EF mount will not die at least within another decade easily. But my guess is that Canon will not release any more new EF lenses beyond 2021 they will concentrate on the RF lenses.

Concentrate surely, abandon no.

World Cup / Olympics will always see the f/2.8 zoom trinity see regular updates, and I'm guessing we are a solid 3-5 years away from a decent mirrorless 1-series level AF performer being possible (sorry A9, you were only half baked). And even then that camp of photographer will be spectacularly stubborn to say goodbye to the mirror.

EF will keep getting new glass. I expect Canon to stress that at launch of EOS R.

- A

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
There's nothing wrong with going to Sony, if you want their camera on balance. If on the other hand you've just mentally made Canon hoops to jump through, and they've instead gone in a different direction, that's very much a you , not them, problem.

I think The new Nikon and this Eos R, and likely whatever Panasonic are about to put out really muddy the water considerably for new starters. For people with brand-specific glass, each big player just stopped 3/4 of it's haemorrhaging to Sony. Sony remain highly specced but with flaws, at an attractive entry point. That's always going to bring new people in. And while competition exists, it's great for the consumer as it lowers price and drives innovation. None of this is a bad thing.

What flaws did you find with A9, A7r3 and A73?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
True, the question is whether they will keep M at all. Maybe we'll se an RF-S option sooner or later?

Hmm. Interesting idea. The future mirrorless state of M vs. R is not compatible the way you can put EF lenses directly on EF-S bodies. :unsure:

I think too many Ms are now in circulation with the M50 being such a hit. Very hard to walk that back with a change to 'RF-S'. And those RF lenses we're seeing (other than the macro) are not small and would be quite unweieldy unless the M line gets chunky/grippy like an XXD / or 7D, and Canon may want to keep that platform tiny.

So I see M sticking around for some time. (Perhaps an RF-S mount version of a mirrorless 7D3 equivalent someday?)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It is not impossible - actually it would make a lot of sense - that future EOS Cinema will have RF mount to enable the use of this new lens lineup. In addition it would make the adaptation of PL mound quite a bit easier..

And to lose the built-in ND filter rings?

RF for Cine?

I'm not a video guy (as in at all), but how would the manually focusing cine world like (potentially) all FBW lenses that can't be declicked?

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sony was probably like "They never gonna beat those 693 AF poin...
Oh!?"

Claims on AF points in mirrorless are like when Nikon claimed ISO 3+ million on the D5. We'll never select all these AF points. Potentially, some 'fidelity of AF' related algorithms (Eye AF, I'm looking at you, also potentially automated-in-camera auto focus stacking algorithm down the road) this could matter, but it's possible Eye AF is decoupled from discrete AF point selection already.

I fully expect Sony to make an even more idiotic claims with the a7 IV bodies in response -- 500,000 AF point cameras are coming. Sony will not be out-spec-sheeted -- this is their #1 entrenched platform strength. :rolleyes:

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Concentrate surely, abandon no.

World Cup / Olympics will always see the f/2.8 zoom trinity see regular updates, and I'm guessing we are a solid 3-5 years away from a decent mirrorless 1-series level AF performer being possible (sorry A9, you were only half baked). And even then that camp of photographer will be spectacularly stubborn to say goodbye to the mirror.

EF will keep getting new glass. I expect Canon to stress that at launch of EOS R.

- A

Sure Canon will stress they are committed to EF eco system at the EOS R launch for sure as far as stubborn there will be always at least 3 categories of people in every industry

1) Early adopters they just jump over to the latest and greatest of the technology does not think about possible flaws.
2) Wait to see how that works and get on-boarded once they know it is good enough or at least the down sides do not severely hamper them
3) The grumpy ones, the old tech is very good, I am familiar with it, the new tech is just a joke, in this case I like the DSLR... blah... blah... blah... who needs a kick in the butt to switch over

No matter what at this point it is clear at least to me MILC is the future and DSLR and EF mount will be decimated but not any time soon. I am talking may be 2 decades from now.

Just curious what are the flaws you found with a9? Have you used one? I have one and I like it everyway better than 5D4. The only thing limits me on the Sony eco system is the long tele lenses but my EF 600 f/4L IS USM works well with Sigma MC-11 granted I use the 600mm on my 5D4 more than a9 at this point.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
What flaws did you find with A9, A7r3 and A73?

I use a 7rIII. Flaws include, but are not limited to:
*It’s too short by about 1/2”
*The controls, while immeasurably better than the previous generation, are laggy (trying to quickly dial a different aperture/shutterspeed/ISO is frustrating compared to the experience with canon cameras
*Struggles to track focus out of plane, and in low light

I disagree with the previous comment about battery life. I can easily shoot all day with maybe 1.25 batteries (I use the grip)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Again, I wait for Neuro (to correct me, not you!), but an f/1.2 lens is not a stop brighter than an f/1.4 lens.:geek:

So it's more like:

EV -6 at f1.2 (from spec sheet)​
EV -5.5ish at f1.4 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)​
EV -4.5ish at f2.0 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)​
EV -3.5ish at f2.8 (extrapolated - same brightness on sensor)​

And yes, all of those are great figures, esp. if it's at any AF point. That's far far better than my 5D3.

But Fullstop is on to something with AF low light sensitivity > metering low light sensitivity. That means in really low light we need to be shooting in M to get the most of the AF. Wonder how that would work if I left it in Av: AF would lock but... then what? Would it not take a shot, would it horribly pooch the metering, etc.?

- A

Yikes, no intention to "correct", rather supporting with some data - happy for Neuro to chime in.
I rounded the .5 stop down (vs. -ish) to support "at least as good as 5DIV in the center".

Regarding metering
EOS R: -3 to 20
EOS 5D IV: 0 to 20
Both at ISO 100 equivalent, neither defines an F-stop (the EV definition refers to f1.0).
So yes, manual is needed for best results at very low light - still, a lot less than the 5DIV.

Cheers,
MP

Source
https://www.canon.com.cy/cameras/eos-5d-mark-iv/specifications/

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Agree, Canon and Nikon needed their own native offering for their own users. I'm [edit -->] not convinced Canon was hemorrhaging at all -- their market share hasn't even blinked.

But I think a lot of long-time Canon folks were waiting on the sidelines and this announcement will trigger immense market activity. However, some of that market activity will be in Sony's direction. Many many many folks will get in on this EOS R, but some internet enthusiasts or pros who really wanted a core 'it's there or it's not' feature that didn't materialize may actually jump to Sony now that the call has been made.

But in no uncertain terms, Sony's about to take two knuckle sandwiches to the face in the market -- regardless of spec advantages or a new super spiffy A7 IV they are fast-tracking. Isengard is unleashed: huge, huge numbers of photographers from Canon and Nikon are about to jump into the FF mirorrless market and clobber Sony's market share. Their days of being the only (non-Leica-priced) show in town are over.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
The same ones everyone else does - not a fan of the color array, battery life is crap, and I prefer Canon glass. Overheating, lower build quality etc etc etc.

There's plenty to recommend them - they have great specs and are affordable.

Not everyone else, please try not to generalize the entire world

color I have no problem with my a9 and a7r3
Battery life the a9, a7r3 and a73 may even beat the upcoming Canon. Sounds for sure from the specs. Sounds like you slept probably 18 months ago and still dreaming. Wake up world has changed add have new exciting technologies ;)
Overheating When was the last time you heard the a9, a7r3 and a73 over heated? While I do not shoot 4k regularly I have shot videos up to 29 minutes on both a9 and a7r3 never had over heating issue
Build quality, yes their weather sealing in not on par with CaNikon but otherwise not that bad
Prefer Canon glass that is your personal preferance that does not mean Sony lenses are bad. Infact I prefer using a7r3, a9 and GM 100-400 combo because i get better sharp picture out of sony combo over 5D4 EF 100-400 v2 combo almost every single time.

all in all your complaints sound like a Canon fan boy and nothign more than that.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Not everyone else, please try not to generalize the entire world

This seems needlessly aggressive, and taken in bad faith. But for clarity, when I say "everyone else" I mean "people who have reviewed or worked with the cameras and found things they didn't like." Again, no one camera system works for everyone.

color I have no problem with my a9 and a7r3
Battery life the a9, a7r3 and a73 may even beat the upcoming Canon. Sounds for sure from the specs. Sounds like you slept probably 18 months ago and still dreaming. Wake up world has changed add have new exciting technologies ;)
Overheating When was the last time you heard the a9, a7r3 and a73 over heated? While I do not shoot 4k regularly I have shot videos up to 29 minutes on both a9 and a7r3 never had over heating issue
Build quality, yes their weather sealing in not on par with CaNikon but otherwise not that bad
Prefer Canon glass that is your personal preferance that does not mean Sony lenses are bad. Infact I prefer using a7r3, a9 and GM 100-400 combo because i get better sharp picture out of sony combo over 5D4 EF 100-400 v2 combo almost every single time.

all in all your complaints sound like a Canon fan boy and nothign more than that.

And there we are. When it's all done, you've called me "fanboy" multiple times, seem incredibly, pointlessly negative and aggressive about Canon and yet you yourself are heavily invested in the Sony ecosystem, and pre-defensive at any (valid) criticism. I think we're done here.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Why go mirrorless?
Smaller size - Yes the camera appears to be smaller
FPS - 5FPS on AI Servo - Not good
Silent Shutter - I assume it has this
IBIS - No
Eye Focus - No but it has the normal Canon face focus
Not compelling

Love how the mirrorless value proposition is defined by such a narrow set of musts -- many of which weren't even considerations until Sony started offering them. :rolleyes:

So I've got a few more reasons to go mirrorless, and Canon (and Nikon) will nail these:

Ability to shoot without mirror slap = yes​
Ability to get a histo in the VF = surely​
Ability to show stopped down DOF in the VF = surely​
Ability to amplify light in the VF in dark rooms = not listed on the sheet, but surely this is possible​
Ability to manually focus in the VF in the era of focusing screens dying off = sure​
Ability to adapt other lenses = surely, but not immediately at launch (need 3rd party to help)​
Ability to use the glass I already own = surely​

For those reasons, the idea that EOS R or Z6/Z7 is a fail b/c of some vital feature or two being missing is nuts. These cameras will work well, sell well, and flourish (provided there's not a day one quality disaster on their hands, adaptors work as intended, etc.).

Remember, this first gen isn't aimed at accomplishing parity with Sony, stealing immense market share or allowing Canon/Nikon folks to be 'proud of their company like they used to'. Their goal is to sell their own people something that looks / feels familiar, unlocks the opportunity to pitch the mirror and get smaller, etc. I think both will largely succeed at that goal.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0