Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

lol. They will not catch Sony A7 II sales in 2018. Not with this one. Unless they offer it for USD 999,-
And 2019 will be tough on this thingie, because Nikon Z6 is better and Z7 even more so.
And Canon RF lenses neither smaller/lighter nor less expensive than Sony or Nikon.

We'll see, I think people will go for this simply because of the forward facing tilty touch screen, DPAF w/face-tracking, and 4K at 30fps. It's a vloggers dream and looks like it'll be a really decent stills camera too......as for lenses? who cares? Most already have lenses that'll work on it. Looks like you can even snap on a 10-18mm EF-S lens if necessary.

This camera will fly off the shelves IMO (especially if it comes in around 2000.00)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I am not saying other corporates are not greedy (in my books all corporates are greedy) but some at least listen to feedback. Canon's case absolutely no.

The same could absolutely be said about Sony folding its arms to folks who want a comfortable grip with ample finger spacing from the mount. And to do this with the A9 -- built for action and heavy lens use -- is just downright cheapskate.

index.php

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well, B Cam in a multi cam set up is different than B roll, which is a single camera for establishing shots, filler and such. I assume they meant the second.. But if you are looking at B Cam, then not likely.
Well, my argument was that "a photo-oriented camera must have FHD@120p" is baseless and dismissing a photo camera based on that is meaningless.
Taking multiple shots (regardless of being B-roll or taken by B-cam), can enhance story telling, at the expense of more preparation and editing time. But it does not need to be 120p to achieve that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
This does not allow you to set the focus to approximately what you want without looking through the lens or at the display. It is helpful when birding, for example, to set the lens to "about 25 meters" -- something I can do all the time when birding. The larger issue is that they're likely to be focus by wire lenses, which may preclude setting focus at "a little less than infinity" or "about that far from MFD" entirely by feel. Some (but not many) focus by wire lenses have physical stops at MFD/infinity which makes that a somewhat less of an issue.

One thing mirrorless will never do for birders is serve as a spotting scope without using any battery.

- A

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Sorry Don. EOS M (1st gen) did NOT capture the market. It was seriously underspecced and had to be firesold for 299 including kit lens. What saved Canon's ass were the EF-M lenses. Decent IQ, small size, very affordable price. RF lenses are exactly the opposite on the last 2 items. And EOS R looks underspecced as well, now that we see more of the caveats and fine print. So I don't think it work as well for Canon FF mirrorfree this time.

Looking forward to see what Pana brings to the table. Then we got 5 FF mirrorfree suppliers and about 10 different new/current bodies. I like. :)

Can you elaborate how this cam is underspecced? If it does everything on this speclist well, i dont see an issue with photo. Then, it also beats Sony and Panasonic on their own field, the video capabilities..

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
We can only assume certain aspects of the sensor at this point, unless one would assume this alleged spec list is “complete”. It may or may not have IBIS. It may or may not be back lit (i’m wondering with this utterly insane -6EV AF capability.... holy crap... again). Folks please stop making the knee jerk assumption that because something doesnt appear on this rumored/alleged spec list, that it wont be there. Again, it might be. Or, it might not be. Until Canon makes the full roster of specs official by their own hand, this all purely academic. Chill. Have fun. Fun is what this site all about. And the Craig and the crew do yomen’s work delivering it all. Stop and say “thank you” once in a while

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Truly disappointed!! Canon will never learn! FHD 120fps, IBIS and dual SD slots should be standard at least! Im very angry right now!!

Standard for what? You don't even know at this point where this camera is going to fall in their lineup. You don't know Canon's intentions with this release. This camera could be used to gain market share, or maintain market share. Seems to be the only full frame 4k camera with an articulating screen. That in itself is going to sell units. With the lenses announced I think Canon intends to release some serious R Mount cameras in the future.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Can you elaborate how this cam is underspecced? If it does everything on this speclist well, i dont see an issue with photo. Then, it also beats Sony and Panasonic on their own field, the video capabilities..

I can't speak for Fullstop, but to some, it's a pure spec-per-dollar value proposition. In that very limited view of things, a company either offers as much as the competition for the same price or it's a failure.

Generally, things like:
  • Compatibility with things not listed on the spec sheet :rolleyes:
  • Color
  • Focusing -- not points or modes, but overall ability to get the job done
  • Build quality
  • Reliability
  • Weather sealing
Tend to be overlooked with the window-shoppers and folks who want a Frankenstein camera with each company's best tech all in one body.

That said, there are places were Canon absolutely offers less for the same price or offers the same functionality for much more price. This is because a market leader with a great quality track record can play those games with people and they'll still pay.

- A

Upvote 0
If the camera has a single card slot I will not buy it. I have been burned before due to my computer could not read a card on a job I did. I now always shoot dual cards. Looks like I will be leaving Canon to Sony. I waited too long for this Camera. I bought the Fuji XT2 system to hold me over. I am going to sell all my Canon lenses. The work I do now requires me to shoot silent and for a camera to shoot well in low light. My Canon 5D Mark lll’s are paper weights due to their large shutter counts. Looks like the Sony A9 is the Mirrorless king and best manufacturer. Canon will blow it big time if this new camera is less than the quality of the Sony. Their future hinges on their new Mirrorless products. They lost a ton of market share to Sony because of their executives did not listen to what the pros needed. Their egos blew it for them. To me they have the mentality of what Kodak did. They did not foresee the future in camera bodies.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I currently use the Olympus EM1-2 and mainly shoot with only 2 Oly lenses: 12-100mm f4 (24-200 f8 EQuivalent) and 300mm f4 (600mm f8 EQ). I want to buy into a new FF system so that I can get a larger sensor and a good portrait lens with large bokeh (larger than I can get with the Oly 45mm f1.2 (90mm f2.4 EQ) ) at a reasonable size (not a huge & heavy brick). Access to other great lenses to expand my collection in FF instead of M43 is a plus.

Currently the best choice for me for this is the Sony A7R3 with the Sony FE 85mm f1.8 lens. It's light weight, lightning fast AF and I'm happy with the large bokeh. But I shoot half of my pictures in portrait mode at waist level with the LCD screen pulled out in portrait mode - the Sony A7 series can NOT do this. So I'm waiting for a FF camera that can.

The new Canon R lens can! This is really important to me (but I rarely see anyone else care about it). However, if it is true that the Canon R does not have eye AF and does not have IBIS then I can NOT consider buying it. I rely on eye AF as well as IBIS (coupled with lens OS) which on the E-M1 2 with both of these lenses is truly incredible! I won't lose that ability and will wait until a FF system comes out with it to make me happy.

So, I will wait to see what the 3rd player (Panasonic) has with their introduction of FF soon. If it has the fully articulating screen, eye AF and IBIS then I will see what else it has. Maybe it will be the right choice with no other deal breakers. FWIW I really want a big beautiful EVF, and would love to have a 105mm f1.8 lens at a moderate weight. Other FF lenses would be great, but nothing will match the 300mm f4 (600 f8 EQ) lens with the IBIS & OS at a weight & price I can affort - it's truly amazing). I would also like to have more easy to use dials (for aperture, shutter speed & exposure compensation) and a simpler & more intelligent menu system (both the Oly and Sony menu systems are very poorly written). And if you really want to solve the issue of how to focus, then put a sensor in the EVF to track the user eye so that they can look at the image and push a button to indicate what to focus on and track it while I recompose the image and then take the picture.

So I'll be a 2 brand shooter when something better comes out. But, sadly, it won't be the Canon R system with this camera. I really wish it could have been. OK, Panasonic, maybe you'll read this and consider it.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Truly disappointed!! Canon will never learn! FHD 120fps, IBIS and dual SD slots should be standard at least! Im very angry right now!!

Sure, dual card with same specs would be nice but there is no Canon camera that has that today.
IBIS was always a leap for Canon and the video specs are beyond sufficient for everything but very slow motion use (overrated imo)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes impressive, no IBIS though? Is that Canon being stubborn about lens IS as the best?

Obviously. Stubbornness must be the reason. Just stubbornness. Canon knows IBIS is best, but Canon resents it and has gone into stubborn mode. o_O

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I really don't know what to think about this camera. On the one hand, I really dislike the body design - if it's supposed to be a mirrorless version of a 5D Mark IV, it just doesn't reflect the beauty of one. It looks more like a prosumer body to me - in fact the closest comparison is that it looks like the Canon EOS 650; the first EF-mount camera that Canon released in 1987 - so perhaps Canon was going in that direction, and body style will evolve over time as we get into the pro bodies. To me making a mirrorless equivelent of a DSLR pro body was one thing that Nikon really got right with the Z, but this camera, at least in the images I've seen, just doesn't look like it is at the same level/caliber.

I'm also not sure who this camera is aimed for. It's got one memory slot - an SD card slot at that - so just like with Nikon Z, I am sure that "pro shooters" - especially wedding photographers will come out saying that this camera will not suit their requirements. SD is far more failure prone vs XQD, so that may introduce issues as well. The camera appears to be more aimed at video shooters, yet we do not know if it will crop the video or have rolling shutter issues like the 5D Mark IV.

For photographers, the camera is missing the dial wheel - something that I've grown to love on Canon bodies. It's also slow - as slow as 5fps with servo AF. At the same time, the AF point coverage sounds incredible. And the lenses also look incredible - especially that 50mm f1.2. But, the fact that this camera uses an adapter, as opposed to EF mount (as discussed on these forums) is quite disappointing. I'm still hoping that Canon does decide to release a version of this camera that natively accepts EF, but it may be impossible.

I would say that going to a new mount after 31 years is quite a big move, and if its the case, I certainly hope that Canon provides necessary details about the adapter performance, and reasons as to why it was necessary to go "RF" in the first place and what are the advantages.

Ultimately, I think this camera's success really depends on price. To me, it has to be under $2K given what it has and what it doesn't. Over $2K, and suddenly I'm not sure who this camera is for. On the other hand, if Canon nails it with video, providing uncropped 4K video with C-log, they may have a winner.

Perhaps one last thing I would add: I feel that with this camera, Canon is still very much holding back in mirrorless, and holding on to DSLRs. This just doesn't feel like a genuine attempt to getting into the mirrorless field. But then again, I may be completely off-base with this - ESPECIALLY when I consider the Canon EOS 650 - that too was not a pro body, or a pro camera. So perhaps what we have here is a genuine rebirth of the 650 in mirrorless format, and we will see the pro bodies to come in the future?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I was so excited about this camera until I got to 5 FPS with AF/AE and the small buffer. You have got to be kidding! The Sony A7 III shoots 10 FPS with AF/AE. So does the A7R III. What is Canon thinking? You might as well put a warning label on the camera that says: "Caution: Do not use for action, sports or wildlife photography."

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018

the video cr*p we have to see first all fine print. DP-AF in 4k?= crop in 4k? Codec, etc. ? no FHD/120 fps. I am not interested in video, but even on that front it looks underspecced.

for stills:
- severly underspecced for shooting moving subjects. fps+Servo AF only 5 fps = no go.
- no IBIS - others have it all
- no Eye AF
- measly single UHS-I SD slot
- 2 out of 4 RF lenses are "extreme niche exotics" - not matched to underspecced body
etc.

Fail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Too much noise? I have the 5DsR. I can take a properly exposed shot at 1600 ISO and print it at 24x36 without any noise showing. And it is SHARP. Did you shoot at 100 ISO and try to recover 5 stops of shadow? If so, your Sony might be better.
Isn't the real problem that all those spec-sheet warriors have stopped printing pictures. You can print really large i
It seems that the following is the

Spec-sheet warrior picture work flow:
1. Take a picture [without understanding the exposure triangle] in RAW+max resolution
2. Open in LR, click the auto-exposure button [that adjust the picture by 2+ stops], export to jpeg.
3. Zoom to 1:1 in a dark corner -> If there is any visible noise, then complain on [forum of your choice]
4. Upload the full-res picture to the internet -> If the resulting image is soft [due to poor down-sampling and/or lack of sharpening], then then complain on [forum of your choice] about the camera.
Spec-sheet warrior video work flow:
A. Take a video [in an arbitrary location + using AF] in 4K and at max framerate
B. Open in blender, click auto everything, export to native resolution
C. Play back on a HD monitor/laptop. If it looks "soft" complain about rolling shutter on [forum of your choice]
D. Upload to youtube, check if there is the 1080p option -> brag about your new 4K video.

:p

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0