Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

I noticed the video bitrate is identical to the 5d mark IV:

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-5d-mark-iv/specifications/

Does that mean the 1.7x crop factor will be there for 4k video?
the crop factor has nothing to do with the bitrate. the R is using h.264 codec, so anything is possible. ALL-I is extremely bitrate intensive, but also very good. it could be considered very non-consumer. Only the G5 supports ALL-I 4K in ILC's right now.

Upvote 0
That is a lot of AF points. I hope they will allow for the screen to be used for AF selection in addition to a button of some sort. The screen or the strip to right of the viewfinder can be used to move AF points horizontally, diagonally and vertically in certain increments (ie 1/8 of the way in each direction). The button can be used for selection of each individual AF point.
If this is accurate, I wonder why Eye Detection is omitted since the cheaper M50 includes it?!
I've held off buying a 5D IV in anticipation of the FF mirrorless release. I hope Canon hits a HR with this.

Upvote 0
One question for my fellow CanonFriends: the specs sheet claims:

With Servo AF: Max. approx. 5.0 fps (shooting speed priority)

and

Low-speed continuous shooting (Tracking priority) Max. approx. 3.0 fps

I'm no expert in sport photography and tracking settings, so I would like to know how reliable is the tracking in "shooting speed priority" compared to the "tracking priority" in other Canon models.

Upvote 0
We can only assume certain aspects of the sensor at this point, unless one would assume this alleged spec list is “complete”. It may or may not have IBIS. It may or may not be back lit (i’m wondering with this utterly insane -6EV AF capability.... holy crap... again). Folks please stop making the knee jerk assumption that because something doesnt appear on this rumored/alleged spec list, that it wont be there. Again, it might be. Or, it might not be. Until Canon makes the full roster of specs official by their own hand, this all purely academic. Chill. Have fun. Fun is what this site all about. And the Craig and the crew do yomen’s work delivering it all. Stop and say “thank you” once in a while

This is official sr.

Upvote 0
Absolutely. Just like those who think Canon can’t engineer uncropped 4K in a 5DIV or 1080 120p in a mirrorless camera without overheating.

Canon can engineer what they want, but what they want centers around protecting profitability, product lines and dependability, mostly the former two motivations.
that's what I hate from canon, overprotecting their profitability.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I’m bored with forum trolls complaining about everything trivial and ignoring the fact that a camera is just a lens holder with an interface for our minds as photographers.

I agree with you by and large but a camera isn't just a lens holder, it's a media holder too. Film or digital sensor, it's up to the camera, not the lens, to manage the image capturing.

Upvote 0
IBIS would be a feature Canon would want buyers to know about. The fact that the spec sheet fails to mention IBIS is a strong tell from which we can conclude that the R lacks IBIS.

It most likely does lack IBIS, however remember it's not an official Canon press-release, it's a leaked document of an unknown origin.

Upvote 0
Sorry if I'm late to the party on this; does it have focus peaking?

Do any of the "M" cameras have focus peaking?

That was actually top three on my list; I use manual focus a lot.

It seems that the R doesn't have focus peaking (like the 5D Mark IV, as far as I know).

I can use focus peaking on my M6 (like M5, M50 etc.), on the contrary.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012

and

I'm no expert in sport photography and tracking settings, so I would like to know how reliable is the tracking in "shooting speed priority" compared to the "tracking priority" in other Canon models.

I understand that contrast detect AF is more accurate, but slower than the faster phase detect AF. This could explain the fps differences.

Upvote 0

and

It makes a difference on my 7dii. If I use speed priority I get a lot more oof shots; it's a big enough problem that, for me, I leave AI Servo 2nd in focus priority. In many situations I don't find that the camera is any slower, so 3fps for the mirrorless sounds s-l-o-w. I guess that's what the rumored 600 isn't the new mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
It makes a difference on my 7dii. If I use speed priority I get a lot more oof shots; it's a big enough problem that, for me, I leave AI Servo 2nd in focus priority. In many situations I don't find that the camera is any slower, so 3fps for the mirrorless sounds s-l-o-w. I guess that's what the rumored 600 isn't the new mount.
Yes, but in the case of the 7DII, the camera is using the same technology to autofocus. The camera gives you two options for when the shutter actuates and as you note, speed priority gives you a higher proportion of OOF images.
I understand that the EOS R has two AF mechanisms (contrast detect and phase detect) and different ways to use those. I assume (but could be wrong) that this gives the different fps rates.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Don, do you think Canon can afford (not financial-wise, but rather, reputation-wise) to do what you're describing...on a FF device?
I think so....

The EOS R seems like a decent camera.... it will sell well, but there will be future iterations of it with improvements.... What I expect to see in a year is a high end mirrorless camera from Canon, and that’s where I expect to see the two UHS-2 card slots, the bigger buffers, faster frame rates, and better video.... in other words, a mirrorless 5D, with a price to match....

The EOS R is the Rebel of the lineup....

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
the crop factor has nothing to do with the bitrate. the R is using h.264 codec, so anything is possible. ALL-I is extremely bitrate intensive, but also very good. it could be considered very non-consumer. Only the G5 supports ALL-I 4K in ILC's right now.

"the crop factor has nothing to do with the bitrate." Uhm... The number of bits in a frame that have to be processed by h.264 or any other codec is going to have an impact on processing time, thus definitely impacting bandwidth.

Upvote 0