Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Absolutely. Just like those who think Canon can’t engineer uncropped 4K in a 5DIV or 1080 120p in a mirrorless camera without overheating.

Canon can engineer what they want, but what they want centers around protecting profitability, product lines and dependability, mostly the former two motivations.

A few things about Canon you should understand. First off they won't ever release a feature that has not been put through the ringer a million times over and even after developing and more testing into the 99% perfect function of the feature they still would not release it to the public until that one feature works without pause or problem to anything else 100%. There are limits in todays tech that won't be around in tomorrows tech, there are limits one simply can not get around nomatter how much they try. When it comes to overheating, there may not be all that much humanly possible today in a small body they can do without the guarantee the feature won't harm other parts of the body. For example if they could engineer the sensor to not over heat but the amount of heat still causes a shorter life span on a single weather seal in the body then Canon will not do it! You would not believe the amount of people completely outside Canon Corp that are paid to test every single little thing in a body, then test that one thing to how it long term affects every other part or feature in the body, years and years go into their pro level stuff. This is why they are the top patent filer, it's because all the work that goes into every little detail to work 100%.

Second thing you should know is most of Canon's bodies don't make much profit for them. The 7d2, 5d4, 5ds/r, and 1d bodies are not profitable machines, sometimes they may just break even also. The reason is these are not here to make them rich at all. If you seen the cost of producing, testing, aligning and more testing each mirror mechanism in a 1dx alone you would say it's silly to even sell the camera to the public at any cost. Canons bread and butter are printers, then entry level SLR stuff. These are the products that pay the bills and pay for all the advancements and R&D into the five bodies i mentioned above. Canon has 6 entry level or mid level bodies on the market just to make their higher lines that much better in terms of working all the time. So when a body of a higher model line comes out without a feature you think should be in it, it is not them protecting their profit at all, it is them protecting you from a possible headache of it not working they way it should when you are in the field and your paycheck depends on it. This is what separates Canon from the other makers, Though Nikon does a decent amount of testing but Sony barely does anything much in comparison to Canon. This is why Nikon has the release dates not being met or problems with the first/second or more production lines, this is why Sony just jams in the latest features without any care of it working perfect, jam the features in the body and sell baby sell. To Canon HQ people in Japan it is there name, their honor, their life meaning that the Camera works as intended and they will never chance that being harmed. Luckily for them the millions of people buying silly entry level slr's today will be the future buyers of the higher line bodies tomorrow because by them those people will know Canon always works the way it should.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Something occurring to me now:

When will any of the major stills camera manufacturers (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic) make a full frame mirrorless with an ergonomic body? Who'll be the first? It feels for now like everyone is chasing a small form factor, which doesn't interest me at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon will charge you, everytime for accessories, like grips. They are well known for having a lot grips for almost for every camera model. Sony and Panasonic have kept the same size over the generations, so grips or cages are compatible from one to another model. This translates in less money on garbage. Because accessories become obsolete first. My C100 mk Ii shoots 1080p @ 35Mbps. This is a 4 year old technology. But they will sabotage us with insane bitrates, but less quality, in DSLR/mirrorrless crippled cameras. But supporting only UHS I @ over 400Mbps... I think is not possible.

Upvote 0
True. The rumor is that Canon will never release another camera. No more DSLR. No more mirrorless. No more crop. No more full frame. What we have now is what we will have forevermore. Canon wants to protect everything from anything new. :rolleyes: No more new lenses either.

Canon is doomed. Without eyeAF and a second card slot... this camera is also doomed. EyeAF has been on everyone's shopping wish list, it seems, for the last 8 months or so?

I didn't say doom. I may overreact because I was waiting for a long time to upgrade to FF mirrorless camera and have the money to pay for it. I hate seeing Sony getting new feature for $2000 price point but Canon users keep getting basic features for similiar price point. They already have the eyeAF from M50 but choose to omit it. Why??

The second card slot is for my professional paid works. Unfortunately it means I have to wait longer for FF mirrorless with one from Canon. I understand no camera is perfect from any manufacture but it's frustrating waiting on Canon to provide feature parity. I do love Canon ergonomic, menu, touch screen, 28-70 F2 lens. Adding dual card slot and eyeAF would be perfect camera for me. Just more waiting for me.

Sorry about the rant. Just tire of waiting

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I didn't say doom. I may overreact because I was waiting for a long time to upgrade to FF mirrorless camera and have the money to pay for it. I hate seeing Sony getting new feature for $2000 price point but Canon users keep getting basic features for similiar price point. They already have the eyeAF from M50 but choose to omit it. Why??

The second card slot is for my professional paid works. Unfortunately it means I have to wait longer for FF mirrorless with one from Canon. I understand no camera is perfect from any manufacture but it's frustrating waiting on Canon to provide feature parity. I do love Canon ergonomic, menu, touch screen, 28-70 F2 lens. Adding dual card slot and eyeAF would be perfect camera for me. Just more waiting for me.

Sorry about the rant. Just tire of waiting

Your quote got a little wonky (now that the website keeps posts you started and then abandoned I think we will see more and more of that), so I’m not sure whom you meant to respond to.
The only thing I find interesting about this camera is the 28-70 f/2. It almost feels like bait.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
In shooting mode vs iso setting chart B mode says iso400 fixed! Does this attached spec mean that when in bulb mode it can shoot only in iso 400? Thats too bad for astrophotography and star trails longer than 30 sec and never seen in any interchangable lens camera i supose.View attachment 180106

That's only for Auto-ISO, if you set ISO to 100 it will take pictures at 100 in bulb mode. If you set ISO to 'A', it will take pictures at 400.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
In shooting mode vs iso setting chart B mode says iso400 fixed! Does this attached spec mean that when in bulb mode it can shoot only in iso 400? Thats too bad for astrophotography and star trails longer than 30 sec and never seen in any interchangable lens camera i supose.View attachment 180106
You pasted in only part of the table. You left out the heading "Auto ISO". It makes sense that auto-ISO doesn't work on B mode as the camera does not know the length of the exposure. The full range of manual ISO settings is available for B mode.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Don, do you think Canon can afford (not financial-wise, but rather, reputation-wise) to do what you're describing...on a FF device?

It didn't stop them with EOS M, right? The first M was a concept car (look how small we can make this!) that lacked a VF or integral grip and had AF that took until the following Tuesday to lock. Somehow their reputation survived. They iterated a few times, and as virtually everyone on this forum predicated/wished for/complained about, they gave EOS M both DPAF and a viewfinder and it became competitive in the marketplace.

I'm not saying they'll take as long to get to a competitive place with EOS R, but they do not need to hit a home run with their first FF offering. The AF / EVF / handling needs to be solid, EF lenses need to adapt well and they can build from that.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I understand that contrast detect AF is more accurate, but slower than the faster phase detect AF. This could explain the fps differences.

Canon pegs the 5D4 as 7 fps, but only 4.3 fps in Liveview with 'tracking AF' (presume they mean Servo). No idea if one shot (with burst? :unsure:) or outright turning the AF off speeds up the throughput.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Something occurring to me now:

When will any of the major stills camera manufacturers (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic) make a full frame mirrorless with an ergonomic body? Who'll be the first? It feels for now like everyone is chasing a small form factor, which doesn't interest me at all.

A 5D-sized body -- perhaps not one to the letter but with that signature chunky grip -- is a certainty before too long.
1) Human hands aren't getting any smaller.​
2) FF lenses are surely not getting any smaller/lighter. You need curved sensors to really take a whack out of the optical design and get the weight down, and that's not happening in a major system soon.​
3) Some FF folks *only* shoot fast zooms and even faster primes.​
4) We presume the 5D grip is so desirable b/c it hasn't dramatically changed over the course of a number of bodies over the years.​

So I think it's natural for Canon (eventually) to offer a chunky body to better wield bigger lenses.

- A

Upvote 0
You pasted in only part of the table. You left out the heading "Auto ISO". It makes sense that auto-ISO doesn't work on B mode as the camera does not know the length of the exposure. The full range of manual ISO settings is available for B mode.
Oh ok. Then its fine. Table does not mention anything like this part is for range of auto iso settings thus it appeared to me as if its settings of iso choice available during manual shooting.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Canon pegs the 5D4 as 7 fps, but only 4.3 fps in Liveview with 'tracking AF' (presume they mean Servo). No idea if one shot (with burst? :unsure:) or outright turning the AF off speeds up the throughput.

- A
Is that right? I always thought the reduced fps was when you use the smiley AF thing (face detect?) in live view. This is when you turn on live view, tap at someone (or let it autodetect), and it keeps focus locked on them even as they walk towards or away from you. As opposed to AI servo (versus one-shot) where AF is continuous but not "tracking". I think that for most bird in flight photographers, continuous dumb focus is the tool of choice, rather than tracking focus.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Is that right? I always thought the reduced fps was when you use the smiley AF thing (face detect?) in live view. This is when you turn on live view, tap at someone (or let it autodetect), and it keeps focus locked on them even as they walk towards or away from you. As opposed to AI servo (versus one-shot) where AF is continuous but not "tracking". I think that for most bird in flight photographers, continuous dumb focus is the tool of choice, rather than tracking focus.

I was looking for corroboration or more detail on that 4.3 claim but I couldn't find anything at TDP. Seeing as that data coming from a Canon site, I'm inclined to take it at face value.

- A

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
The EOS R is the Rebel of the lineup....

no, too big, heavy and expensive. just wait until we see the price tag. launch price will be between 6D II and 5 D 4.

fanbois will defend it, saying "5D IV-class sensor and better video" without mentioning the "functionality nerfing" all-around. ;-)

it really seems Canon had planned to launch 2 cameras, just like Nikon (Z6/Z7) but could not finish the higher-specced body in time.

now they have a rather odd launch situation for an entirely new system including two hi-end RF lenses but only a very pedestrian low-end camera body. :)

but - at least they went for "slim mount" and got RF mount parameters really right!

better bodies will sure follow. it is up to us whether we nevertheless buy this 1st gen EOS R or wait some more years until they are fully competitive by generation 4... as with EOS M bodies. or don't wait any longer and spend our money elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
but they do not need to hit a home run with their first FF offering.

but if they were truly "innovative imaging industry leader Canon", they should have.

they got RF mount really right. why not do a *thunderclap launch* with two cameras and show everybody who's boss?!

1. a clear Z6 / A7 III killer as "low end" and
2. a clear A9 killer at high end - coupled with the 4 lenses, two "useful, decent and affordable" and two hi-end "drool tools" ;-)

would have made so much more sense. but no, it is "beancounter Canon" and Maximus Nerfus is their middle name. :p

they may well have overdone the nerfing, leaving sony and Nikon with more breathing space than intended. and if EOS R price is out of whack too, we may see another fire sale. lol :)

Upvote 0
Now, we have specification released from the factory.

I do not see if this camera can be with the previous series of lenses, R lenses, FL lenses, FD lenses, and FDn lenses with 22mm adapter. Will this camera functional in manual mode with vintage lenses?
I am not surprised Canon continually disregard 44mm flange focal length lenses for Canon R camera. Then I am sure third-party will make one very soon.

Upvote 0