Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
LOL. This is precisely what I was thinking. Here I am, managing to get tack sharp images using a single point on the eye of a running toddler with the much "loved" 6DII. I must be a photography savant or something. /s

You too???

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In shooting mode vs iso setting chart B mode says iso400 fixed! Does this attached spec mean that when in bulb mode it can shoot only in iso 400? Thats too bad for astrophotography and star trails longer than 30 sec and never seen in any interchangable lens camera i supose.View attachment 180106
Hi,
I think someone answer this question already... Canon Rumor copy and paste summary miss an important piece of information. If you look at the pdf file, this table is for Auto ISO mode. Since the camera don't know the exposure time (B mode), it'll not be able to determine the required ISO, so a fixed ISO 400 is used.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I currently use the Olympus EM1-2 and mainly shoot with only 2 Oly lenses: 12-100mm f4 (24-200 f8 EQuivalent) and 300mm f4 (600mm f8 EQ). Oly 45mm f1.2 (90mm f2.4 EQ) )

f/8 equivalent? Your sensor size has zero effect on you len's f stop. An f/4 lens is an f/4 lens no matter the sensor size.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Exactly my thoughts!!
Slow at shooting in servo mode, one SD slot, really ugly! Im not buying that Canon again is holding back... at the end I will start to believe that Sony is paying Canon to hold back! Im pretty sure that Canon has all the technology to make an amazing camera and for the last 3-4 years its not doing it!! That's enough Im tired to wait for Canon to make up..!

Good Lord. I'm starting to think Sony employed trolls come here on their lunch breaks. :sick:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I do not see if this camera can be with the previous series of lenses, R lenses, FL lenses, FD lenses, and FDn lenses with 22mm adapter. Will this camera functional in manual mode with vintage lenses?

Most likely yes. In terms of mount geometry adapters are possible for many types of legacy lenses.
Whether EOS R will take images then will depend on whether or not there will be "electronic requirements/safeguards" telling the camera that "a [proper] lens is attached" and on adapter makers ability to meet or spoof any such requirements if they exist.

But in all likelihood, yes. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
They will simply dominate the MILC market.

remains to be seen. :)

I really like how the FF MILC situation is changing now.
* Canon and Nikon both went "slim mount" with well-chosen mount parameters as basis for a full range of future cameras and lenses.
* Sony with less ideal mount, but very well-featured 4th gen cameras. More competition may finally force them to also offer attractively priced lenses instead of high-priced Zeiss and GMonsters only.
* Pana launch will also be interesting - seeing the end for quarter-sensor sized gear, they may also have seen the light and come up with good mount parameters and hopefully (!) not only video-centric cameras.

And while I am personally not interested in "Pseudo-MF" gear, I warmly welcome the soon to come Fuji GFX R if it is really as rumored around USD 3.900 to 4.500, because that will put a nice lid on excessive oligopolist FF pricing. :)

Good times ahead for great, compact and affordable FF gear. 100% mirrorfree. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon is not necessarily innovative and technology leading. Instead, they are known to be opportunistic, reliable and well-managed.

They will simply dominate the MILC market.

Yup, Canon will. However, let's not overlook Canon's innovations. I'll never understand why some people say Canon is not innovative. It isn't true. There is plenty of new tech coming out of Canon. Not the same tech as another company? Nope. Different tech. But that does not mean Canon isn't innovative.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
Complaining about people complaining isn't any better than the original people complaining.

It's not unreasonable for people be upset when they have to pay more for fewer features. Especially for a ILC where for many people, switching to different systems means you're gonna take a bath. Canon has the largest budget and could, if they so choose, put out a camera that beats the competition. Of course, no one is immediately putting their gear up on Ebay today, they're going to wait for the announcement to see everything, but it's not unreasonable for them to be disappointed at the currently known information.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Yup, Canon will. However, let's not overlook Canon's innovations. I'll never understand why some people say Canon is not innovative. It isn't true. There is plenty of new tech coming out of Canon. Not the same tech as another company? Nope. Different tech. But that does not mean Canon isn't innovative.

From the specs, the R is a solid camera but not really extraordinary. Unless it's a new sensor with a huge DR and high ISO. If it shows a huge DR improvement against 5D4, I'll think of switching to it from my 5D4 despite the lack of the second card slot. But I doubt the sensor will be better than 5D4's one.

But the new RF lenses really shine. That's where the innovation is. Nikon's initial Z lens selection looks noticeably pale compared to Canon's RF.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Focus peaking. That is, highlighting the focus plane (area of greatest contrast) in the viewfinder image. An OVF can't do that (and Canon DSLRs don't have focus peaking in the live view either).
I have focus peaking on 5D2. I'd say that for stills, it is overrated. Maybe because this particular implementation is bad. Or maybe because it's actually contrast peaking.

Upvote 0
Most likely yes. In terms of mount geometry adapters are possible for many types of legacy lenses.
Whether EOS R will take images then will depend on whether or not there will be "electronic requirements/safeguards" telling the camera that "a [proper] lens is attached" and on adapter makers ability to meet or spoof any such requirements if they exist.

But in all likelihood, yes. :)

I assume it should, I am currently using Contax/Zeiss and Leica R glass on my 5DR without problem, the thin mount should allow for even more choice in vintage glass. It would be a very bad move from Canon to limit the "natural capacity" of MILCs to adapt vintage lenses, and surely a good reason for lots of people (including myself) not to buy the camera. Strangely it's my EOS 1v that doesn't want to work with adapted lenses.

OTOH, if the omitted a focus peaking function, that's a bit of a bummer.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Canon stated a few times that they are not fan of IBIS because of alignment and reliability problems.

Sure ... the fact that IBIS would allow customers to choose the Sigma Art lenses with higher resolution and much lower price tags, and still have IS, has of course nothing to do with it at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0