Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

D

Deleted member 378875

I might be finally jumping ship as well. But I've waited a long time at this point and will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for independent reviews.. and the full release so we can know the official 100% spec list.

I think its waiting until the "real" Canon mirrorless comes out because this sure aint it.

This is clearly not a serious competitor to either the Sony A7III or the A7RIII.

Its a step in the right direction but a bitter disappointment for many of us.

In order to be persuaded to move to a new mount and invest in whole new set of lenses, I would want to see firm evidence of a proper competitor to Sony first.

In particular

a) A camera which is truly aesthetically attractive and balanced when using a 20-700 f2.8 or similar - something like the 5D would be ideal. The EOS R doesn't hold a candle to the 5D in my view on this count.

b) Eye focus and IBIS

c) A high resolution option. Personally I don't often want high resolution but there are times when it is utterly wonderful.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Let's break down these current dealbreakers, shall we?

* IBIS - well, we don't have a full spec sheet yet, let's wait for the announce proper. Yes, it would be nice. With good IS is it a deal breaker? sure, if you're trying to make a professional film. Otherwise, it'll be great for vlogging, B-Roll, youtube content etc - of which there is a gigantic market. And for the professional cinematographer, the cinema range.

* 120FPS - W H O C A R E S. Seriously. Buy a GoPro. Use your celphone. Slow motion is gargantuanly overused, and there's still 60FPS which will suit most purposes. Yes, Canon have ignored the parkour / skateboarding crowd with this camera. I'm sure they're very sad.

* Intervalometer / Spectrometer / Blood pressure monitor / other tiny thing - Yes, these don't exist.

This site is full of people desperate to find every scrap of information on something that isn't out yet, so they can tell you all about how it's bad. A couple of unarguable facts:
1. Canon have a far better understanding of their market, audience and their prioritised needs that you or I do.
2. No camera can ever suit every shooter.

If you're going to criticise something that doesn't even exist yet, you also don't have a full picture of the facts. Some of us are excited for this - I think Canon have nailed a market point to be a lot of people's second camera, and a tool that's not only going to stop a lot of Sony jumpers (not all of them, and that's everyone's individual perogative) and appeal to a lot of newer shooters in their 20s. Bottom line: It's not always all about you.

look at that ... my jonny is the only person keeping time ... all the other soldiers are marching out of step

sometimes it's worth heeding the views of others

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
From the specs, the R is a solid camera but not really extraordinary. Unless it's a new sensor with a huge DR and high ISO. If it shows a huge DR improvement against 5D4, I'll think of switching to it from my 5D4 despite the lack of the second card slot. But I doubt the sensor will be better than 5D4's one.

But the new RF lenses really shine. That's where the innovation is. Nikon's initial Z lens selection looks noticeably pale compared to Canon's RF.
I just need it to be a minor upgrade in DR and noise from 5DIV with a reasonable price and I'll upgrade. I realized the importance of DR when I started taking protest photos (outside, mid day, bright sky, bright cement) with my 80d (13.1 stops DR at ISO 100) and I couldn't get any photos that where the sky wasn't 100% blown out, or the non bright stuff wasn't a black silhouette. Raising the shadows in software brought up too much noise.

If I can get something 14 stops DR, with a decently low amount of noise, I should be able to shoot anything, even in bright sunlight, and have my shots look how I want them to look. But this is why people like better specs. Better specs help you get better shots if you know what you're doing. I'm still getting plenty of likes on social media for my protest shots, so maybe people that aren't photographers don't care that much about DR issues, but I care and I know I could do better with better gear.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
No focus peaking?? A modern mirrorless with no focus peaking? That can't be right.... No ibis and only one card slot I can live with. But not missing focus peaking. Well lets see when it is official....

Let's stop with the Chinese whispers games. Rumors that are already unreliable get miscommunicated and turned into even more unreliable new rumors, which then turn into "facts", and then everybody gets offended.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No focus peaking?? A modern mirrorless with no focus peaking? That can't be right.... No ibis and only one card slot I can live with. But not missing focus peaking. Well lets see when it is official....

Agreed, that would be bad. I guess we'll know more with the first review in a few days.

The camera looks decent, though IMHO the retail price will be the final judge. Without IBIS, with a moderate resolution viewfinder (compared to Nikon), average FPS, one card slot (at least UHS-II if I got it right), it looks more like a pimped mirrorless 6D2. If they price it around 2000$ it's OK (at 1900$ they would have a psychological edge), at 2500-3000$, then the Nikon or Sony cousins might looks more appealing. I've been waiting as well for the Canon FF MILC and must admit I am only mildly enthusiastic. For me now the Nikon proposal looks a bit more attractive (glass compatibility aside).

On a side note the new denomination is a bit puzzling, "R" without numbering doesn't tell much what category they are aiming at. I assume the following models will add letters then (RS - high res/studio, RX speed/sport, and maybe REL Rebel/el cheapo ;)). What I wonder is what category will they aim at with the next camera ? More features / more pro or will they go for a an even cheaper sub-6D version ?

Upvote 0
A few things about Canon you should understand. First off they won't ever release a feature that has not been put through the ringer a million times over and even after developing and more testing into the 99% perfect function of the feature they still would not release it to the public until that one feature works without pause or problem to anything else 100%. There are limits in todays tech that won't be around in tomorrows tech, there are limits one simply can not get around nomatter how much they try. When it comes to overheating, there may not be all that much humanly possible today in a small body they can do without the guarantee the feature won't harm other parts of the body. For example if they could engineer the sensor to not over heat but the amount of heat still causes a shorter life span on a single weather seal in the body then Canon will not do it! You would not believe the amount of people completely outside Canon Corp that are paid to test every single little thing in a body, then test that one thing to how it long term affects every other part or feature in the body, years and years go into their pro level stuff. This is why they are the top patent filer, it's because all the work that goes into every little detail to work 100%.

Second thing you should know is most of Canon's bodies don't make much profit for them. The 7d2, 5d4, 5ds/r, and 1d bodies are not profitable machines, sometimes they may just break even also. The reason is these are not here to make them rich at all. If you seen the cost of producing, testing, aligning and more testing each mirror mechanism in a 1dx alone you would say it's silly to even sell the camera to the public at any cost. Canons bread and butter are printers, then entry level SLR stuff. These are the products that pay the bills and pay for all the advancements and R&D into the five bodies i mentioned above. Canon has 6 entry level or mid level bodies on the market just to make their higher lines that much better in terms of working all the time. So when a body of a higher model line comes out without a feature you think should be in it, it is not them protecting their profit at all, it is them protecting you from a possible headache of it not working they way it should when you are in the field and your paycheck depends on it. This is what separates Canon from the other makers, Though Nikon does a decent amount of testing but Sony barely does anything much in comparison to Canon. This is why Nikon has the release dates not being met or problems with the first/second or more production lines, this is why Sony just jams in the latest features without any care of it working perfect, jam the features in the body and sell baby sell. To Canon HQ people in Japan it is there name, their honor, their life meaning that the Camera works as intended and they will never chance that being harmed. Luckily for them the millions of people buying silly entry level slr's today will be the future buyers of the higher line bodies tomorrow because by them those people will know Canon always works the way it should.

So true. I like how people dont know this fact about Canon. My og 7d worked right out of the box on the date they released it out in the public. Heck i havent even updated the fw, and for still(what i use it for) it never gave me a problem.

People talk about pro stuff all the time. Can you get your sony gear serviced when it fails? I drive 20min to Irvine to get my camera cleaned by Canon every 2 years. If something breaks I trust they will have my back with the parts to fix it. This is big when spending my hard earned cash on something. Hearing Sony cant do this tells me they dont care about their products. Why should they, when we live in a society where almost everything is disposable?

With that said ill wait for the more "pro" version to come out and see if it meets the needs of shooting moving objects. I am sure this EOS R will, but I would like a higher burst rate with full autofocus. IBUS doesn't really matter, and video doesn't really matter to me. I am not vlogging or shooting much video, but would like to go full frame...eventually.

Upvote 0
Agreed, that would be bad. I guess we'll know more with the first review in a few days.

The camera looks decent, though IMHO the retail price will be the final judge. Without IBIS, with a moderate resolution viewfinder (compared to Nikon), average FPS, one card slot (at least UHS-II if I got it right), it looks more like a pimped mirrorless 6D2. If they price it around 2000$ it's OK (at 1900$ they would have a psychological edge), at 2500-3000$, then the Nikon or Sony cousins might looks more appealing. I've been waiting as well for the Canon FF MILC and must admit I am only mildly enthusiastic. For me now the Nikon proposal looks a bit more attractive (glass compatibility aside).

On a side note the new denomination is a bit puzzling, "R" without numbering doesn't tell much what category they are aiming at. I assume the following models will add letters then (RS - high res/studio, RX speed/sport, and maybe REL Rebel/el cheapo ;)). What I wonder is what category will they aim at with the next camera ? More features / more pro or will they go for a an even cheaper sub-6D version ?

For me I hope for your RX version. Its more along the lines that i shoot. This version is probably targeted at 6D type users.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I can't speak for Fullstop, but to some, it's a pure spec-per-dollar value proposition. In that very limited view of things, a company either offers as much as the competition for the same price or it's a failure.

Generally, things like:
  • Compatibility with things not listed on the spec sheet :rolleyes:
  • Color
  • Focusing -- not points or modes, but overall ability to get the job done
  • Build quality
  • Reliability
  • Weather sealing
Tend to be overlooked with the window-shoppers and folks who want a Frankenstein camera with each company's best tech all in one body.

That said, there are places were Canon absolutely offers less for the same price or offers the same functionality for much more price. This is because a market leader with a great quality track record can play those games with people and they'll still pay.

- A

I would put ease of handling on the list of intangibles as well. The 5DIV touchscreen interface is a joy to use. As far as specs are concerned what often gets lost is how important the differences in the numbers really are, in terms of actual picture taking.

Upvote 0
I'm just not buying any fatalistic takes on EF. EF is not going anywhere! Canon is just launching this new mount and will take a decade to get it where it needs to be to stand alone from EF. Over that time, Canon will continue to refresh EF glass.

- A

Until we see a proof or commitment from Canon it is just another assumption. I see it bit differently and I'm still quite angry about RF lenses rumored for the new camera. If they released them for EF mount, they would still work on EOS R with adaptor but we all could enjoy them on our existing cameras. This way anyone who wants to use it also needs new body.

My assumption:

EF will continue for sure. It is unlikely for now that Canon will start doing big whites in RF mount but unless we are going to see new 50 or maybe even similar 28-70 (or 24-70 2.8 IS !!!) for EF in next year I don't see any proof of your assumption.

Another big question is how this affect cadence of releases. Up until now all L lenses were built in single factory which has limited throughput. If they will need to concentrate more on RF lenses to add more native glass for new mount, there will be less EF releases.

And what about future of DSLR? What we see in EOS R is 6D Mk III without mirror. I doubt there will be any 6D Mk III. If my assumption is right, FF DSLR line will shrink by one model. Will it follow with 5D? I assume not immediately but if Canon moves towards mirrorless we will see reduction of DSLR offering to few models for people who really want them - all others will go for mirrorless. Again that would point to less EF lens releases.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
The new mout is reason enough to buy this camera. If Canon can produce strong retrofocus EF lenses to thier current high standard, I can only imagine how amazing the new lenses will be. A true symmetrical wide angle lens on a mirrorless body meaning almose zero distortion sounds heavenly.

I’m totally sold on this camera and my only concern is no mention of the EVF resolution. As long as this is up there with the best (Sony A7riii) this will be an amazing camera that will only get better.......... about time Canon!

Upvote 0
I guess at some point we'll see DSLRs overtaken by MILCs, it seems only natural, the same way rangefinder cameras where dominating the market until Nikon proved otherwise with the F. With younger generations more used to LCDs than to optical instruments, DSLRs already look like dinosaurs to the youngsters, even if they still have some advantages......for now. But It will take time and Canon won't let go that market until they really start losing money on it. It might be however that the announced V3 big whites are the last EF generation; I would not be surprised if the next ones in 5-10 years are R mount.

I think the announcement of a modern 50mm f1.2 R and the 28-70 f2 R says a lot about Canon's commitment to the new mount, they are truly pro oriented and don't have any EF equivalent. If they would consider FF MILCs as a second choice they would have released a decent 50mm f1.4 R and updated the 50mm f1.2 EF. The R is not the mirorless camera to fit that market yet, but IMO, those 2 lenses alone tell a lot about the direction Canon is going.

Upvote 0
but if they were truly "innovative imaging industry leader Canon", they should have.

they got RF mount really right. why not do a *thunderclap launch* with two cameras and show everybody who's boss?!

1. a clear Z6 / A7 III killer as "low end" and
2. a clear A9 killer at high end - coupled with the 4 lenses, two "useful, decent and affordable" and two hi-end "drool tools" ;-)

would have made so much more sense. but no, it is "beancounter Canon" and Maximus Nerfus is their middle name. :p

they may well have overdone the nerfing, leaving sony and Nikon with more breathing space than intended. and if EOS R price is out of whack too, we may see another fire sale. lol :)
I suspect you are right about the second body not being ready yet, but rather than cede the market completely to Nikon for the next 6 months, decided to release what was ready now. That is a good marketing decision. It hooks the early adopters now, and gives hope to those who want something more.

Upvote 0
Focus peaking and eye tracking I believe is included in the Digic 8 processor which is probably in this camera and in the M-50 which has those features.
Implementing the same feature in a camera with more pixels to process still takes more processor power. Canon has to prioritize the processor cycles to what they consider to be the most important functions, or add another processor (and higher cost).

Upvote 0
Focus peaking and eye tracking I believe is included in the Digic 8 processor which is probably in this camera and in the M-50 which has those features.

I believe you are probably right, we'll see in a couple days....

in the meanwhile many will continue to complain as usual over Canon not releasing the perfect camera over all others for 2000.00
(friggin ridiculous!).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0