Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Sep 12, 2014
I suspect you are right about the second body not being ready yet, but rather than cede the market completely to Nikon for the next 6 months, decided to release what was ready now. That is a good marketing decision. It hooks the early adopters now, and gives hope to those who want something more.
i guess also january-february an announcement of the successor of the 1dx or photokina 2019 (8. - 11. Mai 2019. ) an then 5dm4 replacment ...

what will be very intresting which mount these susccors will get .. EF or R

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Complaining about people complaining isn't any better than the original people complaining.

It's not unreasonable for people be upset when they have to pay more for fewer features. Especially for a ILC where for many people, switching to different systems means you're gonna take a bath. Canon has the largest budget and could, if they so choose, put out a camera that beats the competition. Of course, no one is immediately putting their gear up on Ebay today, they're going to wait for the announcement to see everything, but it's not unreasonable for them to be disappointed at the currently known information.

1. They don't have to pay more for fewer features. There are plenty of choices out there. They are free to choose them. Guarantee you this: Most of the haters that are serial haters, year after year, on this forum... they ain't buyin' nuthin' anyway. Not from nobody.
2. How do you know what Canon's budget is? How do you know what Canon can choose to do? Canon chooses what Canon believes will make Canon more money. That is why Canon is in business. If Canon could do it and still make the max profit, don't you think Canon would? Canon isn't a charity.
3. Nope, it isn't unreasonable for people to be disappointed when they don't get what they want. What is unreasonable is expecting a company that MUST make a profit to cater to individual wants vs the market as a whole.
4. It is unreasonable for people to be upset that Canon does not provide the exact camera they say they want that the other guy sells, yet they somehow won't go buy. Year after year after year.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Canon will charge you, everytime for accessories, like grips. They are well known for having a lot grips for almost for every camera model. Sony and Panasonic have kept the same size over the generations, so grips or cages are compatible from one to another model. This translates in less money on garbage. Because accessories become obsolete first. My C100 mk Ii shoots 1080p @ 35Mbps. This is a 4 year old technology. But they will sabotage us with insane bitrates, but less quality, in DSLR/mirrorrless crippled cameras. But supporting only UHS I @ over 400Mbps... I think is not possible.

Huh? Panasonic and Sony each have four or more different grips for models still on the market.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I would like to move to full frame, but I don't see any reason here not to wait until I have to replace my 7DII in two or three years.
You’ve obviously never used a mirrorless camera then.

I shoot 1D and 5D line cameras along side a Sony A7rii and much prefer the mirrorless features over the traditional DSLR - they feel ancient in comparison. I held off upgrading my A7rii to the A7riii in the hope Canon had something like this and its a great start and hope to see a high resolution version next.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Until we see a proof or commitment from Canon it is just another assumption. I see it bit differently and I'm still quite angry about RF lenses rumored for the new camera. If they released them for EF mount, they would still work on EOS R with adaptor but we all could enjoy them on our existing cameras. This way anyone who wants to use it also needs new body.

My assumption:

EF will continue for sure. It is unlikely for now that Canon will start doing big whites in RF mount but unless we are going to see new 50 or maybe even similar 28-70 (or 24-70 2.8 IS !!!) for EF in next year I don't see any proof of your assumption.

Another big question is how this affect cadence of releases. Up until now all L lenses were built in single factory which has limited throughput. If they will need to concentrate more on RF lenses to add more native glass for new mount, there will be less EF releases.

And what about future of DSLR? What we see in EOS R is 6D Mk III without mirror. I doubt there will be any 6D Mk III. If my assumption is right, FF DSLR line will shrink by one model. Will it follow with 5D? I assume not immediately but if Canon moves towards mirrorless we will see reduction of DSLR offering to few models for people who really want them - all others will go for mirrorless. Again that would point to less EF lens releases.

This is kind of my thinking on it too, but I wouldn't say I'm angry or have any strong feelings on it one way or the other. It makes me a little uneasy and curious as to what the treatment of the EF line will be going forward. Nothing is going to change immediately, but it does bring an element of uncertainty. It seems like Canon is indecisive and hedging their bets. Depending on how well-adopted their first offerings of the RF lenses are, they may fully commit to it going forward, which may mean gradually less commitment to EF. On the other hand, if buyers are hesitant to adopt the new lenses, they may pull back and retreat to EF, relegating RF to a failed experiment and a scant catalog.

It seems like a Mexican stand-off of sorts: they'll be watching the market to see whether to go full RF or stick to EF; I'll be watching the rollout of RF to decide whether to stick to my EF glass and bodies or if I need to start transitioning over to RF eventually. I still think the R seems like a great camera, but really, it's still Canon's move. I'm not sold on RF yet.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Sure ... the fact that IBIS would allow customers to choose the Sigma Art lenses with higher resolution and much lower price tags, and still have IS, has of course nothing to do with it at all.

No Canon body has IBIS. Canon is not in the business of making money for Sigma. Canon has never prevented Sigma from making lenses that mount and function on Canon bodies. Sigma lives with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Things I want to know before pronouncing this camera DOA. ***FOR ME***

1. Is this the rumored "lower end" model. It better be. In fact it HAS to be. There's one slot. QED.
2a. If not, what happened to the all the promises from canon this year about bolstering specs to stay in or even ahead of, lol, the mirrorless spec race?
2b. If the answer to #1 is yes, then skip 2b. If the answer is No, where is 4k60 which arrived to market share thieves 4 years ago?
2c. Subsampling. Is this 8 bit 4:2:0? I bet it is. See 2a.
3. Not that I care if the answer to 1 is "No," but out of sheer morbid curiosity, what will this camera output via HDMI? Shudder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
1. Is this the rumored "lower end" model. It better be. In fact it HAS to be. There's one slot. QED.
2a. If not, what happened to the all the promises from canon this year about bolstering specs to stay in or even ahead of, lol, the mirrorless spec race?
2b. If the answer to #1 is yes, then skip 2b. If the answer is No, where is 4k60 which arrived to market share thieves 4 years ago?
2c. Sub-sampling. Is this 8 bit 4:2:0? I bet it is. See 2a.
3. Not that I care if the answer to 1 is "No," but out of sheer morbid curiosity, what will this camera output via HDMI? Shudder.

Do you know of any other full-frame mirrorless camera with Canon colours, Dual-Pixel AF, swivel LCD and a whole heap of glass behind it, all fully supported?

I don't, and the C200 is being loved as well, despite being 8-bit 4:2:0 internally.

So I think they should be quite alright for the time being, no matter what kind of bashing they get on forums (even after they release the price, which will be more than people would like)

Upvote 0
Yes impressive, no IBIS though? Is that Canon being stubborn about lens IS as the best?
No IBIS is sad, but if those lens selections are true, I won't care.
Yes I was looking to see if IBIS was implentmented maybe it will be on the second camera that Canon is planning to release.

Upvote 0
of course, you didn't really mean FF but probably super 35, like your c200. In that case, then yes, minus the swivel screen the 1dxii has canon color science, dpaf and a heap of glass. (swivel is bottom priority list for me). Let's be clear. I'm talking about video. Not stills.

the c200 is being loved by no one in a production house without an intermediate codec that's 10 bit 4:2:2. Even 8 bit 4:2:2 would have been the minimum, like is in the 1dxii. Which though bloated AF is great when transcoded.

Again, if you read my post, if this is a lower end model IF in fact there will be two models, I have no issue. If it's the higher end model, it's poorly conceived ***on paper***.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you don't want to know its price before making a judgement, why not pronounce immediately?

Price is in the middle but closer to the bottom of MY priority list for slot in my bag I'm looking to fill. If the specs are right, that is. For me it's about finding the right tool for the particular kinds of jobs I'm looking to use mirrorless for, where size/specs are the most important factors. I can of course understand that these are not everyone's criteria

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Things I want to know before pronouncing this camera DOA.

2c. Sub-sampling. Is this 8 bit 4:2:0? I bet it is. See 2a.

Since it apparently would be only your fourth post on this forum (after registering today), we all wait with baited breath for your pronouncement. Canon is following through on a commitment to FF ML; they didn’t promise to put out the world’s be-all and end-all by the end of the year.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
fanbois will defend it, saying "5D IV-class sensor and better video" without mentioning the "functionality nerfing" all-around.

This time I agree; they nerfed the mirror and OVF right out of the thing!

it really seems Canon had planned to launch 2 cameras, just like Nikon (Z6/Z7) but could not finish the higher-specced body in time.

Based on what, and in time for what?

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Most likely yes. In terms of mount geometry adapters are possible for many types of legacy lenses.
Whether EOS R will take images then will depend on whether or not there will be "electronic requirements/safeguards" telling the camera that "a [proper] lens is attached" and on adapter makers ability to meet or spoof any such requirements if they exist.

But in all likelihood, yes. :)

I use FD lenses on my M5, you just have to turn on the setting "release shutter without lens attached" and it by passes the fail safes. I also use them on my C500, so pretty...

Upvote 0