Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Camera with the ergo of a 5D, body size of an iPhone, sensor of a PhaseOne IQ4, processor of national security data mining operation, narrow lens mount which natively takes EF lenses, video capabilities of a Red Helium, and built-in gigLTE for near-real-time AI-based autofocus.

Oh and a flip out screen.

It does make me wonder what some of these complainers are shooting with now.....obviously a camera that isn't good enough because it lacks many features.
It must suck waiting forever for a camera to be made that's good enough to take a satisfactory picture or video......

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It does make me wonder what some of these complainers are shooting with now.....obviously a camera that isn't good enough because it lacks many features.
It must suck waiting forever for a camera to be made that's good enough to take a satisfactory picture or video......
Love your journal and videos, Durf!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
And don't get me wrong, I like buying stuff. I buy all sorts of things I don't need. But I don't have an agenda, so to speak. There is no such thing as a camera which is "perfect for me," they're all just value propositions wrapped in entertainment with a little income on the side.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What's the AF ev for the 5dmk4, -3 with a 2.8 lens?

This is -6 with a 1.2, so is that actually better or is it about the same in practice?
What's the AF ev for the 5dmk4, -3 with a 2.8 lens?

This is -6 with a 1.2, so is that actually better or is it about the same in practice?

~~~~
Your question is meaningless. You need to look up what EV means. See the chart here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

EV can be meaningly mentioned in ref to how dark you still attain auto focusing or metering, or with ref to available shutter/fstop combo coverage without using B. Every camera uses the same exposure combo for any given EV. In fact old meters simply read out an EV# that you'd transfer to a scale to see your full range of exposure combos that will work - regardless of camera. EV is therfore not a characteristic of a camera. it is a simple single number for the measure of light power available at the scene, irrespective of equipment.

If camera X will focus at EV-6, & camera Y at EV-3 then X will focus in 3 stops less light and is better. You just compare EV numbers, the lower has a stronger low light capability period. There is always confusion over this, as with GN (guide number) in flash.

Upvote 0
I would put ease of handling on the list of intangibles as well. The 5DIV touchscreen interface is a joy to use. As far as specs are concerned what often gets lost is how important the differences in the numbers really are, in terms of actual picture taking.

It looks like the Canon R is introducing a new UX.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Has anyone noticed that the “Canon PDF” looks like a fake or dumbed-down version? Every mirrorless they makes with an EVF, which is admittedly only two, lists the number of dots. Both the M50 and M5 PDF specs list 2.36 mil dots. How is it that they wouldn’t list them here for the new camera?

I was wondering if the pdf wasn't just a draft. It may not be the final version of full specifications, as a few other details are missing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I thought it might be interesting to inject a different viewpoint. Being an amateur photographer who is not particularly wealthy, I find it interesting to read others' commentaries on various photographic gear. For me, time is running out. I would like to update my camera body one more time. Reading forums such as this are educational and informative from a technical standpoint and do add to my knowledge base concerning camera operational capabilities. However, I probably need to focus my attention on more basic topics. My concern at the moment is not with these mirrorless cameras, which from reading everyone's comments, sound like they need further research and development. At the moment, I own a Canon 80D as well as a few good Canon lenses, and my wish is for the next iteration of this Canon DSLR camera line, i.e. a "90D"? I think it is about all that I can honestly afford. In a nutshell, not everyone can afford to "keep up with the Joneses" in the world of photography. Good luck to all of you who apparently can.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
By the way, interesting how the squarish OLED light-on-dark top display suddenly became trendy. I mean, Leica has it, Phase One has it, Fuji has it, Nikon has it, and now Canon has it.

More contrasty, perhaps less need to hunt around for the illumination button in the dark?
How would EF be crippled and less useful than native?

Other way around, gang. EF won't be crippled, but RF may outperform EF w.r.t. to focus speed, handling with manual focusing / peaking, etc.

I see EF working on EOS R as well as EF works on a recent SLR with DPAF in LiveView.

But it's possible the new lenses do better on the new mount than EF does in Liveview on SLRs today.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
~~~~
Your question is meaningless. You need to look up what EV means. See the chart here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

EV can be meaningly mentioned in ref to how dark you still attain auto focusing or metering, or with ref to available shutter/fstop combo coverage without using B. Every camera uses the same exposure combo for any given EV. In fact old meters simply read out an EV# that you'd transfer to a scale to see your full range of exposure combos that will work - regardless of camera. EV is therfore not a characteristic of a camera. it is a simple single number for the measure of light power available at the scene, irrespective of equipment.

If camera X will focus at EV-6, & camera Y at EV-3 then X will focus in 3 stops less light and is better. You just compare EV numbers, the lower has a stronger low light capability period. There is always confusion over this, as with GN (guide number) in flash.

Hey BC
Are you correct? I agree that with the same lenses "If camera X will focus at EV-6, & camera Y at EV-3 then X will focus in 3 stops less light and is better". But if camera X is fitted with an f/1.2 lens, it will focus at lower light (measured as EV) than camera Z fitted with an f/2.8 lens simply because more light is getting to the AF system.

Upvote 0
You can't get F2 on a zoom without some big glass, is just physics. You want full frame and big F, you get big glass, that is life.
This drama was already solved when people noticed that high end glass on Sony is big ...
Simply put, the camera is smaller, lighter, and you don't have to use all time the big guns.

I think there is another reason for mirrorless: More variability for lens element placement due to the lacking mirror region. Maybe this is the only reason for the existence of a large f/2 28-70 which were ultra large if you had to do strong retrofocus for a SLR. Both targeting the same IQ level to be comparable.

And I am with you in your last line: I enjoy my M50 just with the 70-200 f/4 but if I want just a small camera with a medium bright lens I use the EF-M 22 which makes it a good current version of these 35mm compact cameras with ... 35mm lenses!

Upvote 0
PDF looks fake to me, Canon always mentions DIGIC processor detail in spec sheet and this info is missing here. Have you even seen canon is mentioning word "Canon Original" for RAW and C-RAW in their spec sheet...?? its fake
it could of been a rough translation! Or Canon trolling the internet with bogus specs :eek:

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Okay, how so? f/2 is f/2 so please tell me what you mean? I'd like to learn this. ;)
"f/2" means "the aperture is half the focal length".

If everything important in front of the camera is the same (light, distance to different objects in the scene) and the same object is in focus, it's the absolute size (and shape) of the entrance pupil that determines DoF and bokeh effects of the resulting picture. The rays of light that come from the points on the scene toward your sensor do not know the focal length of your lens; all they "know" is that once they pass the entrance pupil, they are in and are forming the image.

If, in addition, the angle of view is the same, it's the absolute size (and shape) of the entrance pupil that determines the intensity of the light hitting the sensor (if there is no light loss between the entrance pupil and the sensor).

Upvote 0