Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Mar 2, 2012
So, I currently have an A7III ... and I don’t trust the weather sealing, so...

May I ask what you’re basing your lack of trust on?

I used an a7rii for two years along side my 5D3 and 1Dx (for a smaller amount of time) in a wide range of climates and weather (very cold, snow and rain, hot and humid, etc). The latter are more robust, sure, but the former never stopped working. There were situations where I didn’t want to be out shooting anymore so all the cameras went away, of course :D

Upvote 0
May I ask what you’re basing your lack of trust on?

I used an a7rii for two years along side my 5D3 and 1Dx (for a smaller amount of time) in a wide range of climates and weather (very cold, snow and rain, hot and humid, etc). The latter are more robust, sure, but the former never stopped working. There were situations where I didn’t want to be out shooting anymore so all the cameras went away, of course :D

Completely anecdotal evidence, as well as YouTube.

I just don’t trust it for some of the conditions I’d like to use it in. For day hike stuff, I’m totally fine with it.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Completely anecdotal evidence, as well as YouTube.

I just don’t trust it for some of the conditions I’d like to use it in. For day hike stuff, I’m totally fine with it.
I’ve looked for evidence of the Sony cameras failing due to real world weather conditions, and have largely come up short. My theory is that if they had inadequate environmental resistance, some noteworthy percentage would fail and there would be some discussion/record of it.

I may have inadequate web searching skills, but have come up short (usually I get directed to the “hose test,” nothing regarding real world failures due to weather).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
As usual, the graphics master. Looks far better with Canon to me. :) Thanks for the terrific work!

Appreciated, but not my work this time -- CR guy posted it a story on the main page.

(Other than in my day job, I generally don't do dimensions. I make crude overlays to make a point.)

- A

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Is it too early to start talking about the next Canon FF mirrorless? :p We still thinking another 6 months before hearing anything about the 5D4/5DS equivalent R, or is there really a chance that this one was the higher echelon FF MILC offering? I'm so confused about what to do.:ROFLMAO:

Put it like this.... If someone stole all my camera gear and the insurance paid up, I would be over at my local camera store tomorrow and this is what I would get:

5D IV body
EF 16-35 F4.0
EF 24-70 F4.0
EF 70-200 F4.0 (the new one)
Tamron 150-600 G2

None of those lenses are available for the R, except the RF 24-70, which is F2.0 and considerably heavier that the EF F4.0 version...

EF is going to be around for a long long time, and so are mirrored cameras.... There is a market for them and they sell well.
RF will take several years to build up it's lens portfolio, and it should also be around for a long time.

This is not a situation where Canon has to decide to sell one or the other. They will sell both because both means more revenue that just picking one.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Is it too early to start talking about the next Canon FF mirrorless? :p We still thinking another 6 months before hearing anything about the 5D4/5DS equivalent R, or is there really a chance that this one was the higher echelon FF MILC offering? I'm so confused about what to do.:ROFLMAO:
I watched the intro videos with Rudy Winston and he mentioned that this was the 'mid range' model. That implies there will be one lower specced and one higher specced than this one.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I watched the intro videos with Rudy Winston and he mentioned that this was the 'mid range' model. That implies there will be one lower specced and one higher specced than this one.
I watched the video before work this morning, but I must've missed that point. I'll have to watch it again.

Upvote 0
Sorry, no.

1) Vitally, the grip is both deeper and further from the mount than the Sony. It's not as comfy as a 5D I'm sure, but the EOS R should only have a fraction of the cramped finger problem that the A7 line has.

2) The grip is taller. No more dangling pinky nonsense for many of us.

We can hem and haw about specs, but on the basic form side of things, Canon has done a solid job as always. I think Canon got the basic shape / grip much better on the first try than Sony did in three.

I want a chunky grip mirrorless someday, but for a smaller body, this was thoughtfully done.

- A

View attachment 180181
then it is subjective to the photographer's hand then.

I am looking at it from system maturity of native lenses and other accessories. I am sure EF lens will not function as well as RF lenses.

Upvote 0
You call it a crippled 5D4 sans mirror. Others might call it a 5D4 with completely silent shooting, a tilty-flippy, the ability to use manual focus glass through the viewfinder at a rumored price of $2k.

For the umpteenth time, we know EF lenses will work well. See how mirrorless with DPAF + adaptor does (this is just one example -- this forum is full of folks who have happily adapted their EF glass on to EOS M):

- A

1- you don't know how it will perform because you never used it.

2- I have an eos m5 and sure you can get it to focus fast with a wide aperture and a huge focus point, but it still tracks like crap and you'll continually have a hard time with fine focus, specially with the laggy touch screen and no joystick. Might work ok if you have tiny fingers.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
1- you don't know how it will perform because you never used it.

2- I have an eos m5 and sure you can get it to focus fast with a wide aperture and a huge focus point, but it still tracks like crap and you'll continually have a hard time with fine focus, specially with the laggy touch screen and no joystick. Might work ok if you have tiny fingers.

We know that EF performs well with an adapter, because there have now been several reviewers who have seen it in action and say that it works like native lens.

Second, AF speed and AF tracking are two totally different things. Historically, Canon DPAF has been great at the former, and compared to some other cameras, Canon bodies are criticized for being relatively poor at the latter. As a nature photographer who doesn't care about making videos, keeping focus on a subject to get more shots is something I'll do by keeping the camera pointed at the subject; therefore AF speed is infinitely more important to me than subject tracking. But it just goes to show you that you can't have it all in one camera, at least not today. By the time you can have everything you want today in a single camera body, there will be new stuff that will be, infuriatingly, not in the body that you really want to buy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
then it is subjective to the photographer's hand then.

I am looking at it from system maturity of native lenses and other accessories. I am sure EF lens will not function as well as RF lenses.
Except, this is not what people who have used EF on the EOS R with an adapter actually say. They've said that it works like a native mount lens. And really, there's absolutely no technical reason that it can't when Canon is designing the body and adapter specifically so that they can be completely compatible. Also, EF lenses work really well on M series cameras, with an adapter.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Tony & Chelsea Northrup - did anyone view the feedback they got from their early "review" of the EOS R? Talk about fanboys of Sony and also Nikon as being their main audience; and angered - it's astounding how they were chastised. I have this theory that the North American population have abandoned traditional religion but need to express their religious fervour, be it politics or in this case Camera loyalty!;)

It's just a camera and it's just slightly ahead/behind the others and I have "faith" that Canon is not doomed. I may just move on this camera but I'll wait to see what the next couple mirrorless offerings are.

I also value speed of focus and have gotten used to 1 series features, some of which are now showing up in the R. While the ergonomics might be a frustration, it'll only be an initial one, I think. My only real concern with the 1DX is weight much more than size and a good grip is a must on a smaller camera but Canon knows that.

Jack

Upvote 0
We know that EF performs well with an adapter, because there have now been several reviewers who have seen it in action and say that it works like native lens.

Second, AF speed and AF tracking are two totally different things. Historically, Canon DPAF has been great at the former, and compared to some other cameras, Canon bodies are criticized for being relatively poor at the latter. As a nature photographer who doesn't care about making videos, keeping focus on a subject to get more shots is something I'll do by keeping the camera pointed at the subject; therefore AF speed is infinitely more important to me than subject tracking. But it just goes to show you that you can't have it all in one camera, at least not today. By the time you can have everything you want today in a single camera body, there will be new stuff that will be, infuriatingly, not in the body that you really want to buy.

I have an eos m and no matter how well I keep pointing the camera at the subject, if it moves at slow to moderate speeds than I know only one or two shots in a burst will have the focus where it's supposed to. It's practically useless for birds in flight unless you want to use a single point at center frame and very deep DOF. I'm sure someone is much better at it than me, but even entry level rebel bodies do better.

Upvote 0