Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Apr 23, 2018
Except, this is not what people who have used EF on the EOS R with an adapter actually say. They've said that it works like a native mount lens. And really, there's absolutely no technical reason that it can't when Canon is designing the body and adapter specifically so that they can be completely compatible.

ef lenses are compatible and work well. but not equal to RF lenses, eg any functionality dependent on that 12 pin communication interface/bandwidth or built-into lens gyrosensor drive for "enhanced IS", and new AF drives (eg thin-type nano usm/Linear EM drives) for more advanced AF functionality etc.

RF lenses are designed for performance and functionality beyond EF lenses' legacy limitations. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
i would have found a more compact body with EOS R specs without all video recording stuff and at a consequently lower price exciting. plus f/1.8 primes lenses and f/4 zooms that are smaller, lighter, decent IQ and significantly less expensive. i understand that some drool over fast glass and are willi g to pay for it and lug it around. i am not.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ef lenses are compatible and work well. but not equal to RF lenses, eg any functionality dependent on that 12 pin communication interface/bandwidth or built-into lens gyrosensor drive for "enhanced IS", and new AF drives (eg thin-type nano usm/Linear EM drives) for more advanced AF functionality etc.

RF lenses are designed for performance and functionality beyond EF lenses' legacy limitations. :)

Sure, it's totally fair to say that RF brings some new stuff that EF never had, and won't ever have. But if an EF lens on an EOS R works as well as an EF lens on a DSLR EOS, then one should not criticize the RF mount or EF to RF at is adapter's technical ability, because if Canon had made their first mirrorless an EF, it wouldn't have that new stuff either. In other words, the EF lenses will work as well as the lenses were designed to work.

I would be really surprised if the lens itself provided core functionality that I thought was must-have, mostly because I didn't fall in love with Sony glass, even the high end GM lenses. But we'll see, and obviously, a lot of it is also what Canon decides to make. If they make more interesting stuff like the 28-70/2, that would sure help nudge me to spending money -- not necessarily because I want RF features, but because I want the optics, and that's the only way I can get them.

And I guess, finally, the verdict is not in yet as to whether native RF lenses are in any way superior to EF lenses in the basic tasks, for example, autofocus speed -- or if the new stuff those extra pins offer is simply for new features. If it's the latter, then the question becomes, a simple question of for lens X is it worth switching? At least for the perceivable future, my DSLRs aren't going anywhere, so the EF lenses can work on both systems (if I buy an EOS R, but who am I kidding, if I don't buy this one, it's only because I'm holding out for the next, "more pro" model), so are the RF benefits, one of which would be no adapter, be worth that.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
i agree with most of your thoughts on this. "adapter angst" was never an issue for me. i would (and will not) sell my EF glass. but i will be very careful before i buy new glass. those 12-pins on the RF mount and RF lenses are there for a reason.

even on the "somewhat pedestrian" EOS R, RF lenses already have functional advantages (aside from optical considerations) - eg "enhanced IS" based on gyro-sensor(s) in RF lenses (not in EF lenses) that enable "enhanced IS" functionaily (5 stops). possible AF performance advantages not really tested yet. maybe they will only become visible/ tangible/significant with future, higher-end, faster fps "pro" R bodies.

i will be very careful about buying new EF glass until things become clearer. Canon is doing themselves a disservice by not publishing a clear RF lens roadmap. so we dont know what RF lenses to expect over the next 2 years or so. and in that timeframe i will neither buy RF glass (not interested in the initial 4 lenses exceot 24-105) nor EF lenses. i will also hold off buying EOS R, although its stills shooting specs are pretty much in line with my needs/use cases. until i see, whether there will also be a smaller body available and/or a higher-end one that is worth the price fifference to me. abd jntil i see whether Canon intends to also make moderately fast, smaller, less expensive non-L RF lenses that i am after, or not.

so, no clear communication on future plans for R cameras and RF lenses is ... stupid, Canon! ;-)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Once again all we learn from all the discussions is how diverse photography is and how impossible it is to satisfy everyone's perceived needs! Meanwhile we've all got amazing gear even if it's in the lower price bracket.:) In other words I have no excuse for not producing amazing photos ... unless it's incompetence.:(

Since I sold the 6D with the intention of buying the 6D2 but didn't I have to admit that the R should fit the bill for a 2nd body. But, then I'd probably be ogling that 50 1.2 or the F2 zoom.

Jack

Upvote 0
Sure, it's totally fair to say that RF brings some new stuff that EF never had, and won't ever have. But if an EF lens on an EOS R works as well as an EF lens on a DSLR EOS, then one should not criticize the RF mount or EF to RF at is adapter's technical ability, because if Canon had made their first mirrorless an EF, it wouldn't have that new stuff either. In other words, the EF lenses will work as well as the lenses were designed to work.

I would be really surprised if the lens itself provided core functionality that I thought was must-have, mostly because I didn't fall in love with Sony glass, even the high end GM lenses. But we'll see, and obviously, a lot of it is also what Canon decides to make. If they make more interesting stuff like the 28-70/2, that would sure help nudge me to spending money -- not necessarily because I want RF features, but because I want the optics, and that's the only way I can get them.

And I guess, finally, the verdict is not in yet as to whether native RF lenses are in any way superior to EF lenses in the basic tasks, for example, autofocus speed -- or if the new stuff those extra pins offer is simply for new features. If it's the latter, then the question becomes, a simple question of for lens X is it worth switching? At least for the perceivable future, my DSLRs aren't going anywhere, so the EF lenses can work on both systems (if I buy an EOS R, but who am I kidding, if I don't buy this one, it's only because I'm holding out for the next, "more pro" model), so are the RF benefits, one of which would be no adapter, be worth that.

I personally don't think you're gonna have to wait too long for a pro version R Camera, something that'll likely rival or exceed an A9 .....perhaps there will be one released before next Easter (my prediction).
The 28-70 f2 and 50 f1.2 are beasts and IMO very pro lenses. Canon introducing these two lenses now is telling me to get ready for a higher end Pro FF R Camera. For a RF Lens pro kit they are showing us with these 2 beast lenses that they are serious.
I'm expecting to be released along with their pro R Camera a couple more high quality and VERY expensive RF lenses, probably like a longer range zoom and perhaps a wild and crazy 85mm f/1.2.......they might even toss in an ultra wide angle too.
I highly doubt it, but, it's possible that this Flagship pro EOS-R Camera about ready now to hit the market around Christmas or even sooner.
I think Canon is upping their game and is about to bust a major move in the mirrorless market! This EOS-R and the 4 RF lenses are a good sign they are serious.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I it's possible that this Flagship pro EOS-R Camera about ready now to hit the market around Christmas or even sooner.
I doubt we will see it before Xmas, because that might stop a lot of 'early adopters' from snapping up the first EOS-R. A more typical modus operandi would be to let Xmas sales come and go, and then announce it, along with a bunch of new lenses. Feb / March 2019?

Upvote 0
I doubt we will see it before Xmas, because that might stop a lot of 'early adopters' from snapping up the first EOS-R. A more typical modus operandi would be to let Xmas sales come and go, and then announce it, along with a bunch of new lenses. Feb / March 2019?

Probably so, but ya never know.....I think the flagship pro will be in another class of its own though and be much more expensive than this first model, thus targeting a completely different group/class of spenders.
They could bring it out right before Christmas and also have a Christmas sale on the EOS-R and rake in a bunch of bucks to finish out the 4th quarter of 2018 with some good numbers....

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Perhaps this has already been mentioned, but just saw on a CameraLabs video that the R's shutter curtains close when the camera is turned off so that when you change lenses, the sensor is NOT exposed, thus minimizing the risk of dust (or something else) falling on the sensor during lens changes. I know for most of the "techies" this is probably very boring, but it is feature that will be very welcome to everybody using the camara who has ever had increased dust issues with mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Perhaps this has already been mentioned, but just saw on a CameraLabs video that the R's shutter curtains close when the camera is turned off so that when you change lenses, the sensor is NOT exposed, thus minimizing the risk of dust (or something else) falling on the sensor during lens changes. I know for most of the "techies" this is probably very boring, but it is feature that will be very welcome to everybody using the camara who has ever had increased dust issues with mirrorless.

It's little details like this that makes Canon #1 and their cameras still strong and taking pictures even when they are ten or twenty yrs old.

But the talking heads and complainers over-look this VERY important feature because all they can think of is 4k and dual card slots.....

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Probably so, but ya never know.....I think the flagship pro will be in another class of its own though and be much more expensive than this first model, thus targeting a completely different group/class of spenders.
They could bring it out right before Christmas and also have a Christmas sale on the EOS-R and rake in a bunch of bucks to finish out the 4th quarter of 2018 with some good numbers....
Ain't no sales on the EOS R this side of Xmas brother!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I personally don't think you're gonna have to wait too long for a pro version R Camera, something that'll likely rival or exceed an A9 .....perhaps there will be one released before next Easter (my prediction).
The 28-70 f2 and 50 f1.2 are beasts and IMO very pro lenses. Canon introducing these two lenses now is telling me to get ready for a higher end Pro FF R Camera. For a RF Lens pro kit they are showing us with these 2 beast lenses that they are serious.
I'm expecting to be released along with their pro R Camera a couple more high quality and VERY expensive RF lenses, probably like a longer range zoom and perhaps a wild and crazy 85mm f/1.2.......they might even toss in an ultra wide angle too.
I highly doubt it, but, it's possible that this Flagship pro EOS-R Camera about ready now to hit the market around Christmas or even sooner.
I think Canon is upping their game and is about to bust a major move in the mirrorless market! This EOS-R and the 4 RF lenses are a good sign they are serious.
I think it really doesn't happen that quickly, their main focus at this moment is still EF, four lenses is really not that much to promote a new flagship model and they are still coming out with new super telephotos (especially destined for Pro bodies with EF-mount).

We may see a higher-end R model with the updated version of the 1DX II sensor, it could be close to A9 money, and it might get two card slots, but it won't be the ultimate flagship, matching Sony on paper is generally an unrealistic expectation. I actually expect a cheaper model more for now and one made for high-resolution as well because of those lenses you've mentioned.

So I think the next generation of cameras (sensors) will kickstart with the 1DX Mark III just like we saw with the II in about 2020, possibly with a hybrid viewfinder, but after that the RF mirrorless will start to be in the spotlight more and more as there are more lenses that are available.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I just rephrased it into a poll question, because I wonder:
Would you pay over 4000$ for an EOS R-X with a slightly bigger 20MP body with dual card slots (maybe a new battery), 4k (UHD) 60p 1.5x crop, 1080p 120fps with about 10fps in stills with AF-C and mechanical stutter?
Would you pay 3000$ for an EOS Rs with the exact same body and everyhing (no dual cards) 60 megapixels(like a M50 sensor expanded to FF), but worse video?

Upvote 0
Ain't no sales on the EOS R this side of Xmas brother!

Yes, Christmas is a bit soon, but I am optomistic and feel we won't have to wait until September 2019 to see Canon move more on this R Series. I'm guessing by next Easter we will see some new RF lenses and probably a higher end R camera.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
It's little details like this that makes Canon #1 and their cameras still strong and taking pictures even when they are ten or twenty yrs old.

But the talking heads and complainers over-look this VERY important feature because all they can think of is 4k and dual card slots.....
Well, all some of them think of is Sony good, Canon DOA.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This may very well be the "Flagship" EOS R.

What makes anyone think that Canon has the ability to build a better mirrorless than this in the near future? As far as we know it has their best sensor, best EVF, best touch Tilty/Flippy, best processor, card slot, DPAF etc. Like it or not, this is state of the art Canon mirrorless. What else do they have which they didn't include? A second card slot? It's Canon we're talking about so I wouldn't expect anything better than this for a while.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

What makes anyone think that Canon has the ability to build a better mirrorless than this in the near future? As far as we know it has their best sensor, best EVF, best touch Tilty/Flippy, best processor, card slot, DPAF etc. Like it or not, this is state of the art Canon mirrorless. What else do they have which they didn't include? A second card slot? It's Canon we're talking about so I wouldn't expect anything better than this for a while.

So, you work for Sony and came here to troll? :LOL:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yep. Just like the first EOS M was the flagship APS-C MILC. You remember the fisrt M, right? A top-selling camera in the largest global market for MILCs, after its launch Sony deprioritized APS-C MILCs. The EOS R will probably be like that.

Upvote 0