Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

May 11, 2017
This may very well be the "Flagship" EOS R.

What makes anyone think that Canon has the ability to build a better mirrorless than this in the near future? As far as we know it has their best sensor, best EVF, best touch Tilty/Flippy, best processor, card slot, DPAF etc. Like it or not, this is state of the art Canon mirrorless. What else do they have which they didn't include? A second card slot? It's Canon we're talking about so I wouldn't expect anything better than this for a while.
Well, you are right. No new sensor no new camera. So a big question is how close they are to a new sensor. If Canon does put something out at a higher price point, it will have a new sensor in it, and maybe a pair of Digics. The Tilty/Flippy world likely be the same, and there might or might not be upgrades to the EVF, the touchscreen interface, and DPAF. There might also be a larger body. Timing? Depends on where they are on the sensor.

Upvote 0

ScottO

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2014
Make no mistake the RF 50 F1.2 and 28-70 F2 are statement pieces reflecting what is to come. If you listen to cannon it's pretty clear this is just an opening salvo. With the EOS R I see the camera will do 80 to 90% of what most still photographers want or at least need. Would I have liked two cards slots sure IBIS would've been welcome but neither is a dealbreaker. If I listen to some I would have to wonder how I ever manage to take meaningful images with a match needle SLR and a 500 or 600MM manual focus Lens with no image stabilization and low ASA film.

As for me I'm excited about the future of the RF Mount. I'm on my suppliers pre-preorder list for a kit, a second body, both of the advanced adapters the 28- 70 F2. Can't wait to be able to use neutral density filters with my 11- 24. Complain about what it doesn't have if you like that's fine with me however I will be out making the most of what I have and knowing there is much to come.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Olympus has at least two lenses now with lens IS - the 12-100mm and the 300mm PRO. The Olympus IBIS plus IS blows away every other image stabilization that I have used including Sony both for video and stills. Multi-second hand held exposures are possible.
Both relatively short lenses though - and interesting, isn't it, that even with IBIS in their cameras, Olympus have realised that in-lens IS is worth having after all.

Upvote 0
Make no mistake the RF 50 F1.2 and 28-70 F2 are statement pieces reflecting what is to come. If you listen to cannon it's pretty clear this is just an opening salvo. With the EOS R I see the camera will do 80 to 90% of what most still photographers want or at least need. Would I have liked two cards slots sure IBIS would've been welcome but neither is a dealbreaker. If I listen to some I would have to wonder how I ever manage to take meaningful images with a match needle SLR and a 500 or 600MM manual focus Lens with no image stabilization and low ASA film.

As for me I'm excited about the future of the RF Mount. I'm on my suppliers pre-preorder list for a kit, a second body, both of the advanced adapters the 28- 70 F2. Can't wait to be able to use neutral density filters with my 11- 24. Complain about what it doesn't have if you like that's fine with me however I will be out making the most of what I have and knowing there is much to come.

I totally agree.

For the last several years I haven't even been interested in any of the FF Mirrorless Cameras on the market up until this EOS-R Camera. The flip screen and nice grip caught my eye. I have several vintage lenses and have been waiting for a long time for Canon to come out with a FF high end type of camera with IBIS so I have a Canon body for all my vintage lenses......Reckon I'll keep waiting and keep using my current non stabilized cameras to use my vintage glass on.

I seriously may of bought this camera if it had a good IBIS system built in just to shoot my vintage glass on. Canon likely will sell one less EOS-R camera for not putting IBIS in it for me ;)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I just rephrased it into a poll question, because I wonder:
Would you pay over 4000$ for an EOS R-X with a slightly bigger 20MP body with dual card slots (maybe a new battery), 4k (UHD) 60p 1.5x crop, 1080p 120fps with about 10fps in stills with AF-C and mechanical stutter?
Would you pay 3000$ for an EOS Rs with the exact same body and everyhing (no dual cards) 60 megapixels(like a M50 sensor expanded to FF), but worse video?

And EOS R with 50+ megapixels is exactly what I'm looking for and I would pay 5DSR money for that (€3100 currently). I want a wider view for my MP-E 65mm compared to the EOS M it's currently on and a high framerate view with exposure simulation. Big wasps and hornets are slightly too big for the APS-C frame, but would fit on a full frame sensor, but I don't want to loose resolution when shooting smaller things like jumping spiders and cropping in post. So your theoretical Rs is the camera of my dreams, currently :)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
And EOS R with 50+ megapixels is exactly what I'm looking for and I would pay 5DSR money for that (€3100 currently). I want a wider view for my MP-E 65mm compared to the EOS M it's currently on and a high framerate view with exposure simulation. Big wasps and hornets are slightly too big for the APS-C frame, but would fit on a full frame sensor, but I don't want to loose resolution when shooting smaller things like jumping spiders and cropping in post. So your theoretical Rs is the camera of my dreams, currently :)

At least two of these RF lenses are made for very high resolution, that's a given.

Yes, all just a theory, but I think a 5DsR Mark II will come first in 2019 (looking at the timeline it is very much due to replacement), and this with the same sensor will come some time after that, but it won't be the second EOS R model because it is more of a speciality, rather something from other two variants or both (higher or/and lower level), so maybe still not coming in the near future.

By the way, Canon could make the EOS M system way, way more useful with a high quality, fully functional focal reducer (Speed Booster) EF-M to EF adapter, that gives you that wider field of view and adding in an extra stop of light while keeping all the functions, etc.
But that would instantly make the full-frame a bit less attractive, so they only do it if they feel like reviving the EOS M system. So it's a neat thing to have as a playable card.

What they've done instead is patented an EF-mount video camera with a built-in switchable focal reducer, I think this will be for video to get a wider, closer to FF field of view with a Super 35mm sensor. I just wonder if they ever going to release it, and how much it will cost.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I asked Mr. Carnathan if the R included shutter speed range adjustment for setting highest and lowest speeds in Av with auto iso, and it does ineed have it! I’m so relieved :D

He thought there was a function to remove the Modes I don’t use, but he couldn’t find it now, so not entirely sure it can be done or not, yet..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I asked Mr. Carnathan if the R included shutter speed range adjustment for setting highest and lowest speeds in Av with auto iso, and it does ineed have it! I’m so relieved :D

He thought there was a function to remove the Modes I don’t use, but he couldn’t find it now, so not entirely sure it can be done or not, yet..

But does it have an option to do this relative to focal length and to set independently for each lens?

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I've just checked the 6dii manual and according to it the servo-AF continuous shooting speed is 4fps (Page 307, Servo AF for Moving Subjects), One Shot AF is 6.5 FPS, both are lower than EOS R's spec respectively.
Not sure if anyone has already commented on this, but that is true only if you are talking about the 6DII in live view. The 6DII in normal DSLR shooting gets 6.5 fps with servo-AF continuous shooting. See the 6DII manual at p112 and p156.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I've wanted to get into focus stacking, but it looks quite tedious and error-prone, and I'd rather spend my time taking photos, rather than spending hours post-processing.
If you want to automate focus stacking you may want to look at CamRanger as it has a focus stacking feature. It also supports the R. Stacking is not that hard as the apps do a fairly good job and even PS (which I use) has rarely given me anything other than the most minor of cleanups.

Upvote 0