Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

it probably is. I mean here's full frame for 1300 bucks. it'll probably sell for under $1000 before it's gone. what's left is EOS-M

For you $1300 might not seem like a lot, but for most people, it does matter... Think about the number of DSLR in the current Canon APS-C lineup... 7D, 80D, 77D, T7i, T7, SL2 (and I don't know the lowest model number). People do care about cost and if Canon can sell enough APS_C R-mount cameras, they will.

There may be other reasons too which we do not know. While the M series is currently the Mirrorless APS-C, Canon may decide in the future to release an APS-C R camera... RF-S???

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
For you $1300 might not seem like a lot, but for most people, it does matter... Think about the number of DSLR in the current Canon APS-C lineup... 7D, 80D, 77D, T7i, T7, SL2 (and I don't know the lowest model number). People do care about cost and if Canon can sell enough APS_C R-mount cameras, they will.

There may be other reasons too which we do not know. While the M series is currently the Mirrorless APS-C, Canon may decide in the future to release an APS-C R camera... RF-S???

I see many people using the cheapest Canon DSLR's, like 4000D on the streets. In low income countries, even $500 is a lot of money to spend on a camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
if they used the LP-E6 they couldnt call it the lightest full frame camera.

which I would imagine is big on their marketting of this.
A good example in both ways: For some not knowledgable in the field an argument to buy, for others the extra 40g or so are by far not worth the cost in battery life..., for me neither.

A statement for whom that camera is tailored...

Upvote 0
I'm very impressed with Canon's aggressive pricing on the RP. But the EOS R lineup needs some serious work put in towards increasing the tracking-priority fps. The RP is shown as having 4fps with tracking-priority, and the R has 3fps (strange that the higher-end model would have less). I don't expect Canon to match Sony's continuous tracking AF fps right out of the gate, but I'd like to have a servo AF fps on a mirrorless camera that can match the burst mode on my 6D II.

Maybe the lackluster tracking fps is related to the DPAF architecture of Canon's sensors, but I'm hoping it's just a software issue that can be fixed via firmware with a significant DIGIC processor optimization.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Am i missing something? Other than being ff . This has old 6d sensor, no 4k 30fps, 4k still crops, no 1080p 120fps, small battery, i get that it is price competitive but is this even comparable to xt3 or a7m3?
Considering the Fuji is a crop sensor camera ($1,399) and the Sony a7 Mark III is right at $2k (I just now checked B&H)... did you really have to ask? Good Lord! There is a huge number of us users that are really only worried about stills anyway. At the last model boot camp I shot less than 300 photos on my 5D Mark III. My two extra batteries never had to be used. Takes 3 seconds to swap a battery. This camera's weight is comparable to the Olympus OM-D E-5 Mark II ($899 M4/3) ... and is full frame. Huge value for the $. The 6D II sensor is a fine sensor. Sensor doesn't change the quality of the lighting, composition, or subject matter... which means far more than the brand and model one chooses to measurebate against. If one can't well light and compose stills, it is doubtful the video would be any better... no matter the frame rate or 1080p or 4k.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Considering the Fuji is a crop sensor camera ($1,399) and the Sony a7 Mark III is right at $2k (I just now checked B&H)... did you really have to ask? Good Lord! There is a huge number of us users that are really only worried about stills anyway. At the last model boot camp I shot less than 300 photos on my 5D Mark III. My two extra batteries never had to be used. Takes 3 seconds to swap a battery. This camera's weight is comparable to the Olympus OM-D E-5 Mark II... and is full frame. Huge value for the $. The 6D II sensor is a fine sensor. Sensor doesn't change the quality of the lighting, composition, or subject matter... which means far more than the brand and model one chooses to measurebate against.
Well guess I’m less exited as im not heavily invested in canon lens and do 90 percent video shooting. Was seriously debating this for flip screen but other spec just seem too underwhelming for me

Upvote 0
Am i missing something? Other than being ff . This has old 6d sensor, no 4k 30fps, 4k still crops, no 1080p 120fps, small battery, i get that it is price competitive but is this even comparable to xt3 or a7m3?

If you want an affordable, capable APS-C video camera, I suggest the GH5, but you will need someone behind the camera. If you want a great vlogging camera, the EOS R is probably the best right now... if the RP follows suit, it will sell boat loads!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well guess I’m less exited as im not heavily invested in canon lens and do 90 percent video shooting. Was seriously debating this for flip screen but other spec just seem too underwhelming for me
Well, you ain't gonna get what you want from Canon for $1,299. Can you get it from Sony for $1,299? I don't know. With a magnesium body and weather sealing? I think a Sony comes with a drain hole, not weather sealing. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm very impressed with Canon's aggressive pricing on the RP. But the EOS R lineup needs some serious work put in towards increasing the tracking-priority fps. The RP is shown as having 4fps with tracking-priority, and the R has 3fps (strange that the higher-end model would have less). I don't expect Canon to match Sony's continuous tracking AF fps right out of the gate, but I'd like to have a servo AF fps on a mirrorless camera that can match the burst mode on my 6D II.

Maybe the lackluster tracking fps is related to the DPAF architecture of Canon's sensors, but I'm hoping it's just a software issue that can be fixed via firmware with a significant DIGIC processor optimization.

This probably can only be resolved by dual digic 8 processors or digic 9. The R has lower fps, because it has more pixels. It is the cost of DPAF.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'm not going to even attempt to catch up and address individual posts on "Well Sony A73 for video...." stuff... Canon video is simply... BETTER. Period. When you compare the EOS R to the A73, with the exception of having to use a wider lens for the crop, the video from the EOS R is simply BETTER. Measurably, better.
as just one example from a Sony fan vs a Canon fan. Both cameras are in the $2000 range, and I'm willing to bet that in a REAL WORLD test, the video quality from the RP will also be better than the A73.

Upvote 0
This probably can only be resolved by dual digic 8 processors or digic 9. The R has lower fps, because it has more pixels. It is the cost of DPAF.

The 5div with a digic 6+ does 5 fps in live view with about the same number of pixels as the R. The 6Dii with a digic 7 does 4fps in live view with the same number of pixels as the RP. The R and RP should be able to be faster than their mirrored counterparts but it seems Canon is saving spec room for higher end cameras.

Upvote 0