Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
it probably is. I mean here's full frame for 1300 bucks. it'll probably sell for under $1000 before it's gone. what's left is EOS-M

Even though we now have a x0D-priced FF body, full-frame lenses are expensive enough to make an FF system out of the reach of many.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If you want an affordable, capable APS-C video camera, I suggest the GH5, but you will need someone behind the camera. If you want a great vlogging camera, the EOS R is probably the best right now... if the RP follows suit, it will sell boat loads!
Except the Panasonic isn't even APS-C. It's a micro 4/3

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
And on the hells of that, would you really rather spend $1600 for a micro 4/3 sensor with a relatively poor lens family vs. $1300 for a full frame sensor that will perform much better in low light and upper ISOs with a vastly superior lens family and Canon color science? Yeah that's a really easy choice for me when it comes to regular 24fps needs, especially with things like VLogging

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Even though we now have a x0D-priced FF body, full-frame lenses are expensive enough to make an FF system out of the reach of many.
The plain EF are not too expensive. Most of the L series, of course, are. Hmmmm... the EF 50mm f/1.8 II is on closeout at Adorama right this second. $129

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
And on the hells of that, would you really rather spend $1600 for a micro 4/3 sensor with a relatively poor lens family vs. $1300 for a full frame sensor that will perform much better in low light and upper ISOs with a vastly superior lens family and Canon color science? Yeah that's a really easy choice for me when it comes to regular 24fps needs, especially with things like VLogging
No need to bring any sort of rational thought into all this. ;)

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
What I like: price, weight. I'm also positive on how it would feel in my hand.
What I don't like: name! RIP?! I like it says R on the body.
Viewfinder: I prefered none!(or a larger one)
The slope on top; I like a straight line there.
Rotating LCD: I prefer tilting instead!
What I want to learn about it: image quality

If that RF100-400 is reseanably priced, I may buy the combination.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
any ideas why x-sync? (flash sync?) seems to be lower on the new R cameras? found 1/250th on the 80D often wasn't quick enough for faster moving objects.

Shutter curtains only have to travel about 14.5mm to transit a Canon APS-C sensor. They must travel 24mm to transit a FF sensor. If they are moving at the same speed, it will take 1.6X longer. Four milliseconds (1/250) multiplied by 1.6 is 6.4ms (1/160).

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
What I want to learn about it: image quality

If that RF100-400 is reseanably priced, I may buy the combination.
IQ is going to be fascinating, but really it should be no more than marginally different from the 6Dii - ie very good but not perfect (eg at low ISO).

On the RF 100-400 - I couldn't agree more, and it's near the top of my wish-list, but I'm assuming it is an L lens, and so 'reasonably priced' (by normal standards) seems unlikely.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I'm very impressed with Canon's aggressive pricing on the RP. But the EOS R lineup needs some serious work put in towards increasing the tracking-priority fps. The RP is shown as having 4fps with tracking-priority, and the R has 3fps (strange that the higher-end model would have less). I don't expect Canon to match Sony's continuous tracking AF fps right out of the gate, but I'd like to have a servo AF fps on a mirrorless camera that can match the burst mode on my 6D II.

Maybe the lackluster tracking fps is related to the DPAF architecture of Canon's sensors, but I'm hoping it's just a software issue that can be fixed via firmware with a significant DIGIC processor optimization.
The 3fps of the R is with focus priority where the shutter will not fire without focus confirmation. I'd like to know how accurate that is. I could live with 3 FPS if focus is accurate.

Upvote 0
plus it still is not necessarily affordable? still around 2k no?

The GH5 is a video tool. Internal 4k 60fps and internal 4k 30fps with 10 bit video. If you're a hybrid shooter, the GH5 is not for you. Plus the IBIS plus OIS and 60 fps 4k = silky smooth b-roll and hand held dolly shots with a little practice. The crop factor sucks, but there's purpose built lenses to help deal with it, my go to is the 12-35 2.8.

For hybrid shooters, the Z6 and A7III is the way to go. But now the RP is worth looking at, especially for those like myself who shoot with a M43 for video and Canon for stills. The RP might be the perfect camera for running on a gimbal, given the AF.

With that said, my GH5 won't be gathering dust after my next upgrade, there's still a few situations where that 4K60p will be the right tool for the job, just like my 5D Mark III still gets used on a video job every once and a while for that close to 1gbps 14 bit video.

Upvote 0
I've found that a great alternative to LOG picture profile is to just shoot Neutral Picture Style, turn the contrast down even further, and then set the Auto Lighting Optimizer to a medium-high or high setting. WOW do the 4K files have crazy dynamic range! The editing is a bit wonky, but then again so is editing LOG footage. If those three settings are too over-the-top, you can tweak them to taste.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Looks like Canon put a bunch of the cheaper bits into this thing and came out with a well-featured and very competitively priced body which will appeal to a lot of buyers. Battery life is a bit on the sucky side tho.

..for a micro 4/3 sensor with a relatively poor lens family..

there really isn't much missing from the MFT lens options other than a few specialty lenses. What would you say is poor about it?

a full frame sensor that will perform much better in low light and upper ISOs

no doubt we'll be seeing comparisons soon and you may be surprised. :)

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Same here, I will have to hear it from Canon to believe it.
I stopped shooting 24fps 3 years ago and entirely switched to 30fps. I simply decided to stop convincing myself, that 24fps is what makes my video cinematic, whatever they have in mind using that word. Without 30fps, I will have to pass. With it, the weight and the 422 HDMI, the cost is less enough to ignore. I would take, put and hang it everywhere and anywhere. I would finally jump into this mirrorless buzzword and buzzworld of theirs.
According to Adorama, it has 30fps. I am buying this. To me, this is their best move ever since I have known Canon.

Key Features

• Lightest, Smallest Full-frame EOS Camera
  • RF Mount Compatible with RF Lenses and EF/EF-S Lenses (Reuires Optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS R)
  • High Image Quality with 26.2 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF for Fast and Accurate Auto Focus
  • Built-in EVF with 2.36 Million Dots, Tough & Drag AF.
  • Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD.
  • USB Charge Compatible
  • Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Technology
  • Sensor Size: Full Frame Camera
  • Max Video Quality: 4K 30fps
  • Viewfinder: Built-In Viewfinder
  • Wifi: Wi-Fi: Yes
  • Special Features: Bluetooth
  • Configuration: Body Only
  • See less..

Upvote 0