Here is the Canon EOS R announcement live

They needed to release a super wide lens RF lens with that 4K 1.6 crop.
You can't vlog with a 24mm lens, or a 3lb lens (28-70). The 24-105 also has a min. focusing distance of 17.71 inches...
Yes, you can adapt to an ef-s lens (no 60P) 10-18 which is much lower quality or use an other existing wider lens that will introduce noise when focusing. Unfortunately, this likely won't work for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm really thrilled to see that the camera closes the shutter when you remove the lens. It's completely mystifying to me why no one else does this. The biggest concern I have using mirrorless is having that big, expensive, easily damaged sensor hanging out in the open when I change lenses. Canon seems to have figured out the solution to this that should have been second nature to all manufacturers all along. Once again Canon seems to be the only manufacturer who understands what making a camera durable under real world conditions means.

And hopefully it's designed in a way that it does not drain the battery just to hold the shutter closed. Perhaps there's a locking mechanism that engages that holds it shut without the use of battery power. If they had the foresight to make the shutter close when you remove a lens, hopefully they had the foresight to make it so that the camera isn't sitting there draining the battery any time a lens is removed. But then again, who just leaves a camera sitting around for long periods without a lens on it anyway?

i presume it draws power to keep shutter open, for me that would be the logical thing to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
There could be practical limitations in how these pixels are grouped together for more reliable (less noisy) phase detection.
Agreed. I assume software establishes line pairs (albeit with a single column of pixels) in specific locations rather than having some amorphous blob.

It’s likely that some locations work better than others, and additionally having discrete predetermined locations is computationally lighter than some dynamic implementation.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Erm... how can the same sensor have more phase AF pixels when it uses DPAF?
It’s the same sensor with a different software implementation for selectable locations.

I was going to say... Isn't every pixel on a DP sensor essentially its own phase detect AF point? I mean that's kind of the whole point of the technology, right?

The area of the sensor that can be used for AF is roughly 80%x80% in the 5D4 generation DPAF. Whether the rest of the sensor physically has "normal pixels" or if it's only a software limitation to prevent potentially poor AF behavior near the edges I don't know, but the end result is the same. In the R, like in the M50, the area that is usable has increased to 88%x100%. So it is fair to say that there are more AF pixels (effectively if not otherwise).

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Has anyone noticed if DPRAW files are exactly double the file size of non DPRAW files? I guess you'd have to take the exact same photo twice to know for sure since RAW file sizes do fluctuate.

I can't imagine that there's some periphery around the edge of the 5D4 sensor that physically does not have dual pixels compared to the middle of the sensor. Seems like it would be much harder to manufacture a sensor like this compared to one that just has uniform pixels throughout.

Also, in relation to that bokeh shift feature on the 5D4, I don't think you could do that without some weird artifacts around the edges of the photo if the sensor did not have dual pixels all the way through.

Not having 100% focus coverage is probably just a software and processor thing. Besides, if the subject you're focusing on is really that far to the edge of the frame, maybe you should just consider recomposing your photo. :sneaky:

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Has anyone noticed if DPRAW files are exactly double the file size of non DPRAW files? I guess you'd have to take the exact same photo twice to know for sure since RAW file sizes do fluctuate.
<snip>

Yeah, after I posted it occurred to me too that DPRAW certainly implies that the whole sensor is dual pixel.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Can someone tell me where the bottleneck is that gives us 5fps in servo mode? They claim “worlds fastest autofocus” and there is no mirror which is suppose to give us more FPS. So what’s the deal and how do they fix it in the Pro model?

The claim is fastest to lock, not fastest throughput. With fps, the bottleneck can be the mirror, shutter, AF system, or CPU/buffer to move the data. Yes, the mirror is removed, but the other bottlenecks may remain.

The (sort of) SLR equivalent of this camera, the 5D4, has 7 fps as an SLR and only 4.3 fps (I believe) with Liveview -- which is how the EOS R also focuses. So in that light, 5 fps isn't terrible. My guess is that DPAF + tracking (i.e. Servo) is too large a computational lift for high framerates in this class of camera, and that will improve over time.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
May be when the R series gets to the level of 1D, it will be larger, thus able to have 3 processors with one dedicated for AF and increase frame rate.
Beings the Olympic games are in Tokyo 2020 it may appear before that, so 18 months time.

The 1DX2 already can shoot 16 fps in Liveview with AF working ...but not under Servo AF. I've been looking around for a published actual top speed with Liveview burst shooting doing the tracking work and I can't find it at either TDP or Canon proper. (Anyone know?)

Total bushleague thumbnail calculation based on EOS R specs:
  • EOS R
    • 30 MP x 8 fps = 240 MP/sec possible in Liveview + AF (but no Servo AF)
    • 30 x 5 = 150 possible in Liveview with Servo AF
    • ---> Servo AF under Liveview saps 37.5% of the throughput.
  • 1DX2
    • 16 MP x 20 fps = 320 MP/sec possible in Liveview + AF (but no Servo AF)
    • 37.5% less throughput would be 200 MP / sec
    • 200 MP/sec by 16 MP = 12.5 fps
Now this math is a bit off as a 1DX2 only has 20 MP of a Liveview read to fight through with DPAF, whereas the EOS R has 30, and I have no idea how that scales (or if it's even appropriate to compare).

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
You know, for all of the ways that this camera seems a little lackluster... No dual card slots, not the fastest fps, at least they're giving us essentially the best full frame sensor they've got. Yes, it would've been wonderful for it to be an all-new sensor with even better specs than anything else they've released.

But, at this price point, they could have just thrown the 6D II sensor in there and called it a day. And then I would be really conflicted, because that would set up the choice between having better image quality in the 5D4, or the mirrorless technology in the EOS R.

As far as ultimate image quality goes, this camera doesn't seem like it will force us to compromise compared to a 5D4, and that's really nice.

Upvote 0
The 1DX2 already can shoot 16 fps in Liveview with AF working ...but not under Servo AF. I've been looking around for a published actual top speed with Liveview burst shooting doing the tracking work and I can't find it at either TDP or Canon proper. (Anyone know?)

Hi just checked the manual, and it says continuous shooting during live view will lock AF and exposure, so on that basis live view can not track but can do 16 frames per second, might have to wait until digic 8,9, or 10 for that to happen :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0