Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Focus by wire is absolutely fine. IF it is implemented really right: 100% responsive, precise/smooth operation. I don't see a reason why it could not also be combined with a [mechanical] "hard stop" at both MFD and infinity. Then it would be truly perfect.

If all new aircraft are FBW, why should 21st century lenses not be? I fully welcome FBW. Actually, I would not even manual focussing capability at all.

FBW just has a bit of a bad rap because of so many (earlier) cr*ppy implementations - eg in compact cameras - with all sorts of lag, "play", coarse, unprecise, wobbly, underpowered operation.

The HondaJet disagrees.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I'm really thrilled to see that the camera closes the shutter when you remove the lens. It's completely mystifying to me why no one else does this. The biggest concern I have using mirrorless is having that big, expensive, easily damaged sensor hanging out in the open when I change lenses. Canon seems to have figured out the solution to this that should have been second nature to all manufacturers all along. Once again Canon seems to be the only manufacturer who understands what making a camera durable under real world conditions means.

And hopefully it's designed in a way that it does not drain the battery just to hold the shutter closed. Perhaps there's a locking mechanism that engages that holds it shut without the use of battery power. If they had the foresight to make the shutter close when you remove a lens, hopefully they had the foresight to make it so that the camera isn't sitting there draining the battery any time a lens is removed. But then again, who just leaves a camera sitting around for long periods without a lens on it anyway?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I'm really thrilled to see that the camera closes the shutter when you remove the lens. It's completely mystifying to me why no one else does this. The biggest concern I have using mirrorless is having that big, expensive, easily damaged sensor hanging out in the open when I change lenses. Canon seems to have figured out the solution to this that should have been second nature to all manufacturers all along. Once again Canon seems to be the only manufacturer who understands what making a camera durable under real world conditions means.
It’s probably because shutters are delicate and less prone to damage when open.

Something which will damage the sensor, which is covered in glass, would probably do so through a closed shutter. This might keep dust off during lens changes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Fair enough. You're right with regard to actual damage to a sensor. Just having the shutter there isn't much protection. I guess ultimately I'm more concerned about dust and dirt, which this solution should go a long way in protecting from.

And honestly, if you're allowing any object to come close to your camera's shiny parts when the lens is removed, whether it's a mirror, shutter, or sensor, you get what you get. Dust and dirt protection is the biggest thing everyone needs to be worried about, and this should help a lot.

Upvote 0
£2,349.00 UK price plus £11,999 for the 400/2.8 III. £199 for the basic adapter is a rip-off price. It will be be bundled free with some deals. No point in buying if you have a 5DIV, and we don't know how fast the AF is yet.

The basic "Mount Adapter EF-EOS R" is $99, it's the Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R that is $199.99:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0628186309/three-ef-to-rf-adapters-available-for-eos-r

I find it a bit odd that Canon put the control ring at the front of the new RF lenses, as it means that it will be in a totally different position to adapted EF glass using the Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R, which produces an awkward cognitive dissonance if you use both EF and RF lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The basic "Mount Adapter EF-EOS R" is $99, it's the Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R that is $199.99:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0628186309/three-ef-to-rf-adapters-available-for-eos-r

I find it a bit odd that Canon put the control ring at the front of the new RF lenses, as it means that it will be in a totally different position to adapted EF glass using the Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R, which produces an awkward cognitive dissonance if you use both EF and RF lenses.
You are right, but £99 is a rip-off. It is already being bundled here.

Upvote 0