Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

Dj 7th

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 22, 2019
I'm not sure if I personally would put that extreme expectation on them for this... I'm coming from a 5D Mkiii and have always been happy with the lenses and then just jumping to the mirrorless would world for the first time with an RP and handful of rF lenses, I've already felt like I've been blown away and spoiled with the features of it compared to my old 5Dmkiii... I know over the years Sony and other companies have done amazing jobs, but I never was able to make the jump so missed out on understanding these expectations... but seeing the quality of photographs from my RP and RF lenses currrently... i'm already so satisfied and can't wait to get a R5 an even if the R5 isnt the BEST Mirrorless camera at the end of this wave, id still be damned happy with the RF lenses I've been using... and I'm looking forward to seeing what Sony will answer with, and even it's better than the R5... I know I'm choosing the R5 because of Canon glass

I agree with you. As I said in a different post, I kept falling in love more and more with the EOS R everyday. I know the lenses are a part of the reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
I'm ruling it void, with all the context issues and grammar.
By the way, I like your SWWYH signature. (Start With What You Have)

It's making me think about whether I really need to upgrade or is it something I just want to do. I love the specs of the R5 so far for photography, but I know I can still do so much more with the 7D mkii that I have. (Actually, I just picked up a second 7Dmkii with low count, one owner for $500 as backup/spare, "insurance policy for breakdown", etc.!) This extra time before shipping will give me a little more time to make sure if I really should upgrade now or not.

Thanks for the reminder...

Upvote 0
I agree with you. As I said in a different post, I kept falling in love more and more with the EOS R everyday. I know the lenses are a part of the reasons.

I had the luxury and the curse of living in a cave from camera advances for 8 years with my 5D mkiii and lenses, that when now if you throw me any kind of mirrorless camera with an EVF I'd be like... what is this sorcery... so yea.. I'm just easily impressed and glad you're enjoying the R, I rented it to test the RF lenses I bought and had such a great time with it that I debated if I really needed the R5 at all... but i'm sitting from a good chunk of Insurance money from the theft of my old camera stuff that I told myself I should just be patient and use this random chance to splurge on a camera... and obviously it'll be tthe R5... but i had to get an RP because sitting on the RF lenses I bought before getting the R5 was torture with not having a body to use them.. so I decided to get the RP as a future compact full frame secondary camera when the R5 releases and the RP has definitely delivered

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
That would not be possible for an RF lens as it would increase the register distance.
There were one or two EF lenses that had a drop in filter slot designed in to the bayonet. That could still be done on the RF lenses. But a clip on adapter like the telextenders would not work for the reason you listed.

I think it was the really wide lenses that had the filter mount - and the stuff with non-flat front elements.

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see what level of shipping inventory Canon has when they roll out these new bodies and lenses. Given how anemic global camera sales are right now, it seems like they should have lots of spare manufacturing ability. Of course, some of that capacity might not be useful for these new sku's and it's possible that there are still a lot of individual parts that they might have trouble sourcing. It's also posible that they will limit availability for marketing purposes. Nothing drives sales interest like perceived scarcity. It will also be interesting to see how broad and deep the market actually is for a ~$4000 camera. Should be an exciting fall in CanonLand. I'll have to stock up on the popcorn.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
'The EOS R5 won’t begin shipping until September'

Does that mean the R5 beats the 1DX as the longest development to availability camera?
It takes at least 2 years so we don't know the time line of development. Did you think development somehow just started when a camera is announced? They have patents for mirrorless going back 10 years. The announcement lead time is timed by salespeople to keep interest up, while letting factories (which must practice social distancing) and buyers who must scour the markets for components have time to build inventory. The number of R5 cameras needed for initial inventory will far surpass the 1DX Mark III.

Upvote 0
An RF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM is possible, but an EF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM is not?
They take it in baby steps. I was really disappointed by the AF of the EF 50 1.8 STM compared to STM kit zooms of similar price. So slow and noisy! RnD probably gets requirements from product mgmt not to improve too much over the previous product, even if that is 20yrs old....

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
£4,000 instead if the hoped-for £3,500 made me hesitate about pre-ordering. September delivery could be the final straw - that is close to the end of my main photography season (especially with no Sept/Oct trip planned this year, and the possibility of bird hides still being closed) so perhaps I will wait until early new year. :-(

Upvote 0
I'd love an RF 35 Mark II, internally focusing, non-macro. I love my RF 35, just the noise is annoying. I feel like in 2020, no lens should be making the BUZZZ bUZZZ BUZZZ AF sound.

I was hoping the R6 would be in the RP shell... I really don't want the size of the camera to get too big! but from that photo, the way the products are arranged.. it's hard to tell how big these new products are.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
hey so for those on the hunt for CFexpress cards, there is a really good deal on amazon.ca right now for 256gb for $447 CDN. its about 30% regular price

https://www.amazon.ca/SONY-Cfexpress-Tough-Memory-Card/
With the Sony recall and Amazon's ability to pull the recalled cards in a reliable manner, I wouldn't even consider getting one from them. If you can't start using it before September, your return period will be long past.

https://www.diyphotography.net/sony-is-recalling-some-of-its-sd-cards-due-to-damaged-and-lost-data/

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Well that's pants lol. You'd have thought there would be one for the RF lenses. Go figure. :sneaky:
How would you install a adapter for a RF lens? It would change the distance to the sensor plane so you would not be able to focus. I suppose one could be designed with lenses inside to correct for that, but making it work for every current and future RF lens is probably not something you'd want to pat for.

Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
It is a bit disappointing that the R5 will be released after the R6 given most of the press has been around the former. I don't see any pro level RF longer lenses 400, 600 at f2.8 to F4L, etc that would set the stage for an R1 (1D equivalent....I held off hoping we would hear something after the R5, but no new glass). It looks like more waiting....
If you are in the market for the EOS R1, the wait might be within the next two years. In addition, you probably would be looking at purchasing new RF glass. Have you considered the EOS-1D X Mark III? It is a fantastic camera that you can purchase today, and you can use your existing EF "L" lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I highly doubt that will get a black Friday markdown so early
For folks like me, the B&H deal where they rebate sales tax is a good deal. Getting a discount but paying 10% sales tax usually evens out. I doubt that there will be any stock at Christmas, thats been the case before. Those that wait will have to face that possibility.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

What is this difference on the front of the bodies of the R5 and the R6. Is this the input for the remote shutter release that is on the R5 front and misses out on the R6?
R5_R6_shutterrelease.png
As I can't see such input on the front of the R, Rp, where do the R, Rp have their shutter release input? On the side of the body?
I think the front input is fine especially in conjunction with a l-bracket.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0