Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

The Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 IS STM will be very exciting for the community. On the one hand people are used to the cheap EF 50mm 1.8 lenses but if Canon wants the same amount of money they will definitely sacrifice image quality. If Canon wants around $600 (like the Nikon Z 50mm 1.8 S last year) the image quality will be on par with the Sony 55mm 1.8 or Nikon Z 50mm but people will, again, complain.

Upvote 0
Well, if I could only get one, it would have to be the 85 f/2 macro. I would have said 50 but I already have the 35, I enjoy macro, and with IS on the 50 I don’t expect it will be as cheap as the EF 50 anyway.

Wonder why the 70-200 f/4 and the 85 f/2 don’t seem to be in the picture? Edit: Never mind - addressed in the article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
The 70–200mm is designed to exploit the short flange distance of the RF mount. Unfortunately that makes it physically incompatible with extenders.

That's doesn't make much sense since the extenders can be designed from scratch to have any recess distance necessary...

Anyway I haven't seen any evidence that the 70-200 'exploits' the short flange any more than any other lens. All the size benefits derive from its telescoping design.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
That's doesn't make much sense since the extenders can be designed from scratch to have any recess distance necessary...

They could, probably, at the expense of something else. Presumably image quality.

Anyway I haven't seen any evidence that the 70-200 'exploits' the short flange any more than any other lens. All the size benefits derive from its telescoping design.

1592486091918.png
(via LensRentals)

That large, SWC, aspherical rear element? Definitely exploits the properties of the RF mount. It's a very different design to its EF cousins.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Is there any rumors on the R6 price?
Depends on how they market it, with the IBIS dual card slots, fast frame rates, it should be around 2000$ or a bit more, if they continue to limit the dynamic range and video features, which wouldn't be surprising at all, to say the least.

Btw, the curved edge on the top right corner reminds me of an T7i/800D or similar.
frt_with_18-55mm_rti_822.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
It is a bit disappointing that the R5 will be released after the R6 given most of the press has been around the former. I don't see any pro level RF longer lenses 400, 600 at f2.8 to F4L, etc that would set the stage for an R1 (1D equivalent....I held off hoping we would hear something after the R5, but no new glass). It looks like more waiting....

Upvote 0
For me, there is one lens currently missing in the RF lens line up. And that is a EF 100mm F2.8L IS Macro lens equivalent. A lot of times it was part of some rumored future lens list, but the Canon RF 85mm f/2 Macro IS STM seams also not to be this equivalent because it is no Pro L lens.

But why would Canon come out with a second amateur macro lens after the RF 35mm Macro, if it has no pro macro lenses in its RF lineup?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It is a bit disappointing that the R5 will be released after the R6 given most of the press has been around the former. I don't see any pro level RF longer lenses 400, 600 at f2.8 to F4L, etc that would set the stage for an R1 (1D equivalent....I held off hoping we would hear something after the R5, but no new glass). It looks like more waiting....
For now, the agencies will use 1DX III bodies (with the existing lenses), they won't switch to mirrorless just yet.

They have just released their EF 400mm and 600mm version III lenses, so those are the lenses least likely to be coming first in the RF mount, even the 400/4 DO II is not that old, a 200/2, 300/2.8, 500/4 etc. are much more likely to come first, or maybe some other DO lenses that we don't know about yet. They will take their time but more lenses that are compatible with their RF teleconverters are expected to come for sure.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I have to count the lenses.. maybe it's the one beside the 70-200 2.8L? but it looks fat for an F4.

I think this is right .. seems to be no 50mm or70-200 F4.

https://www.canonnews.com/image-of-the-upcoming-canon-rf-products-coming-july-9th
View attachment 190859
The lens with the ? I think it would be the 85mm Macro.
Yes! I suppose you are right.

So where's the 50/1.8???
Ah, got it... they will continue to bully one specific CR member and offer no decent, cheap 50 mm lens - even in the RF lineup o_O:cry:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0