Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
I'm going $3,799 - $4,200 USD. The 5DsR came in higher than past 5D models, and accounting for inflation since the release of the 5D IV and considering some of the capacity listed here, I think that's pretty reasonable

I'm going with $4,500. This is assuming it has 8k30p / 6k45p / 4k60p, with raw. Video specs demand (and bring in) money like no other.... They really should make another version with dumbed down video for stills-only shooters becuase if its limited to 4k30p i would imagine this is a $3k (maybe bit more initial few months) camera.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'm going with $4,500. This is assuming it has 8k30p / 6k45p / 4k60p, with raw. Video specs demand (and bring in) money like no other.... They really should make another version with dumbed down video for stills-only shooters becuase if its limited to 4k30p i would imagine this is a $3k (maybe bit more initial few months) camera.
Once again, I am more than happy to take bets on that....

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
Once again, I am more than happy to take bets on that....

not willing to bet :) i hope its cheaper... and i think canon should because in one release and in a matter of months i really believe they can end sony's lead in FF mirrorless and halt interest in the s1h. The RF lenses and EF adapters will make alot more for them.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If it has the stills specs we read about earlier and the video will be hampered in some way like Ahsanford suggested (which is common and should be acceptable) I will buy it for my first new camera in 8 years and stay off the forum to avoid the video insanity cackling of the hens.
Nooo!!!! We need to hang on to all the semi-rational people we can.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
If it was software limited to have those specs, it'd be like $50 cheaper, perhaps. Once the R&D goes in to solving the data throughput and cooling issues, it doesnt matter if its 6k30, 4k120, etc...it costs the same.

Nikon Df came out without video and cost basically the same as the D800 that slightly proceeded it. If you want a camera made cheap because no effort was put into R&D for video, two already exist in the R lineup, the R and the RP, which directly recycle the 5dIV and 6dII

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
not willing to bet :) i hope its cheaper... and i think canon should because in one release and in a matter of months i really believe they can end sony's lead in FF mirrorless and halt interest in the s1h. The RF lenses and EF adapters will make alot more for them.
It will be in the $3500 range

Upvote 0

6K was never mentioned. there's no reason for it. 4K120p was metioned (but probably cropped)

8K may be RAW just for heat management even though h.465 is rather efficient at encoding (but not decoding). But I doubt it will have all the other spiffy features.

Canon will most likely leave a little gap so they can still do a 1 series RF camera next year. ie: don't expect DPAF with 8K (not that I think they can even do it right now IMO) or 4K120p either.

as far as price? I don't know. I have a feeling Canon wants to foot stomp the competition in a big way. Don't forget most of this stuff is in house developed (or in the case of DIGIC X paid for with the 1DX Mark III). Most of their assembly is automated now. A sensor is a sensor (unless it's stacked).

Canon can set the price at basically anything because it does eight freaking kay. But I think they are going to take aim at Sony, Panasonic and Nikon in a big way and go for the throat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
If it was software limited to have those specs, it'd be like $50 cheaper, perhaps. Once the R&D goes in to solving the data throughput and cooling issues, it doesnt matter if its 6k30, 4k120, etc...it costs the same.

Nikon Df came out without video and cost basically the same as the D800 that slightly proceeded it. If you want a camera made cheap because no effort was put into R&D for video, two already exist in the R lineup, the R and the RP, which directly recycle the 5dIV and 6dII

Was just saying for all those who generally moan about not needing video specs... (or odn't realize how expensive video capability costs)
Personally I want all the vidoe specs i can get at whatever (within reason) price is fine for me....

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
6K was never mentioned. there's no reason for it. 4K120p was metioned (but probably cropped)

Yes, 6k was not mentioned but why would the camera not have it? It wouldn't be overly difficult to implement imo (i'm not an expert on hardware design by any means though). But imagine its more a software code to window a bit.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
You want more heresy, while I’m at it? I couldn’t care less about two card slots. Starting with my Kodak DC120 (1 MP, CF card), the great majority of my digital cameras have had one card slot and that has never been a problem for me. But I also have just one engine in my car (which in ancient times was a problem from time to time).

Using the car analogy: who needs spare tires? *I’ve* never had a flat

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Burst rates: Buffer depth matters, not card transfer rate. CFExpress is necessary for video only.

Card transfer rate directly affects buffer depth because the camera’s constantly flushing the buffer to the card while you’re still shooting. It’s a FIFO, or a circular buffer, in computer science parlance. That’s how the 1Dx3 (and some older bodies in JPEG mode) can achieve ”infinite buffer depth”.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Honestly, more real estate on the back side would be nice, which means the grip could be bigger too. I am happy with the R grip, but find the rear side a little cramped.

I agree. The R is comfortable, but not as comfy for my big hands as even the 6D. I’m picking up the grip just for that reason.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Using the car analogy: who needs spare tires? *I’ve* never had a flat
You are aware, are you not, that many new cars today have no spare tires? My 2018 Prius, is one example of many.

(And are you aware that italics and bold and the like are available in the format bar so that you don’t have to use dorky asterisks for emphasis :)?)

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
You are aware, are you not, that many new cars today have no spare tires? My 2018 Prius, is one example of many.

(And are you aware that italics and bold and the like are available in the format bar so that you don’t have to use dorky asterisks for emphasis :)?)

Old habits die hard (And the WYSIWYG editor is hard to use with one hand in a city bus)

The analogy holds regardless. The weight trade off for a Prius is worth it. And my car has run flats as well—suits me just fine. There are lots of situations where run flats or no spare are a dealbreaker.

Same deal with cameras. I don’t sweat it if I run with a single card, personally. But I sure as heck would care if I shot weddings.

Upvote 0