Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The way Sony does this almost makes up for their horrible menus because you can just assign a button to that menu option you can never find.

Sony's unprecedented flexibility comes at the cost of maddening complexity.

...which is probably why Canon never gave it to us.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
4K @ 120fps If 8K 30 is possible, 4K120 is the same bandwidth of data. From a processor perspective, crop factor should match 8K30's crop factor.
No it shouldn't. The 4K should also be a 1:1 readout in the high FPS mode, giving it a crop factor above 2. For full sensor 4K 120p they would either read out AND downsample the full 8K frame (not happening) or bring back the nasty line skipping (who would prefer that?)

Upvote 0
No it shouldn't. The 4K should also be a 1:1 readout in the high FPS mode, giving it a crop factor above 2. For full sensor 4K 120p they would either read out AND downsample the full 8K frame (not happening) or bring back the nasty line skipping (who would prefer that?)
My bad, you're right. I was more focused on the fact that 4K120 is the same bandwidth as 8K30. Assuming 1 to 1 readout, 4K 120 could have a crop that's more extreme than the EOS R.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Sony's unprecedented flexibility comes at the cost of maddening complexity.

...which is probably why Canon never gave it to us.

- A
Canon can leave the menus the way they are, but please just expand the options when you go in to assign a custom function to a button, that's all I want. I dunno why it's so hard. Hell, even just provide all of the options under all of the buttons. But when you go in under one button and it gives you a whole slew of options, then you go in under another button and for some arbitrary reason it only gives you about half the options you could assign the other button to, it drives me up a wall. Is there some reason for it to be like this that I don't understand??

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I see the same wheel around the mode button we see on the R. Maybe they also have the thumbwheel (that gives us 3 wheels which I dont find very likely)

Ah, you are supposing what the back will be from what is it in view from the one pic we have.

I hear you. I think another tell is that the camera didn't get notably wider/taller (see page 3) and I expec the tilty-flippy to still be there.

That's a bummer.

- A

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
for some arbitrary reason it only gives you about half the options you could assign the other button to, it drives me up a wall. Is there some reason for it to be like this that I don't understand??
It's called the cripple hammer and some dudes at Canon love swinging that thing ;)

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Can't wait until something comes out official - I am a Nikon Z7 shooter that is ready to jump to Canon and the R5 / RF system (if rumors are close to being true)!
What? Jump to Canon? You do know there is a company called "Sony" right? ;) Nobody jumps to Canon. ;)

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Perhaps they shrunk the size of the viewfinder proximity sensor?

My *only* hope with this, if they changed it, is that they return to having user replaceable eyecups so that I can use the ThinkTank Hydrophobia weather covers I own. This is a big deal since every other photojournalist I know and work with also uses these covers and you just can't get the same rain seal without fitting a rigid special-designed eyepiece through a rubber gasket. The EOS R's design just doesn't work with that, or at the very least would need you to unscrew the rubber piece and screw in the weathercover piece every time you wanted to swap them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
If only Canon thought of a solution for that. One that worked perfectly, had less expensive native lenses, gave access to dozens of great lenses that didn't have third party AF problems...

Cheaper RF lenses will come -- but until then, EF is your oyster.

- A

Personally if the R5 or the R6 (depending on price) are going to show the right image quality in video, I will go for one of these two bodies and I will keep for the moment my WHOLE pack of EF lenses. I trust Canon did they job well and an (R body + Adaptor) will work well with all EF lenses. A mirrorless body is a must in video, maybe welcome in photo, but in video a must to be able to manage the focus continuously.

I have bought all these lenses over time in order to be able to enjoy them once also in video and not only in photography.
I am now just interest (maybe kind of excited ...) to see the first footages these bodies are producing in videos.

A real wide angle video with my 16-35 mm f4, would be a moment of joy:
Close to the face of the person with a desert or a flat landscape behind !
Than a very close image to the eyes of the actor... with the 135mm !
Add some Ennio Morricone music on top!

Italian western style is back !

I am going to take such a pleasure and a fun ...
Just for the fun...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Can somebody tell me what use is that Depth of Field preview button in the R5 (or any EVIL camera)? Especially when R and RP don't have one.

To preview… the depth of field?

Like has been already said. Plus the fact that it’s customizable in all Canon enthusiast-and-up bodies…

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

leviathan18

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2019
I did the translation

"Canon seems to have understood that these EOS R and EOS RP were not really technologically advanced. As a result, they pull a development announcement from their hat that is fun to read. The EOS R5, which is expected to arrive later this year, will be the first "serious" package of the RF mount. The little that Canon has agreed to share is enough to make you salivate.

In the first row, there is the video, 8K! A world-first in the world of consumer cameras. An unprecedented ability that would allow Canon to recover the video crown, lost during the transition to 4K for the benefit of Panasonic and other Sony. Canon does not announce any frame rate, compression (codec), etc. You will have to wait for the launch announcement to get more information.

The other great news is the arrival of the mechanical stabilization of the sensor, a novelty for Canon. This lack of stabilization is partly responsible for the low ratings we have given to EOS R and EOS RP.
According to some information leaks, mechanical stabilization alone would save up to five stops. Together with the optical and electronic stabilizations included in certain lenses, this mechanical stabilization could allow you to gain up to eight stops.

Then, Canon announces an impressive burst of 20 frames per second in electronic shutter, as with the Sony A9, and a burst of 12 frames per second in mechanical shutter, such as Canon and Nikon sports cameras (1DX Mark II or D5).
we expect leading performance with tracking algorithms. Let us also hope that the buffer is generous so that the "sports" potential is not restricted.

Finally, the EOS R5 will have two memory card slots, which will change from the first limited models to a card, sometimes even in the battery compartment, such as the EOS RP."

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0