Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Why would they put a DOF button on a mirrorless camera? I'm not convinced this is actual photo.

No one said it had to be a DOF button.

If real, I'm guessing is a programmable/assignable button (switch to silent running, switch to servo, etc, snap to center AF -- who knows?).

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I was just reading an article over there that said Sigma is on the fence over making lenses for the RF mount.Which makes me sad because I don’t have $2-3k per pop to spend on Canon made native glass :(

If only Canon thought of a solution for that. One that worked perfectly, had less expensive native lenses, gave access to dozens of great lenses that didn't have third party AF problems...

1581527223719.png

Cheaper RF lenses will come -- but until then, EF is your oyster.

- A

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Can somebody tell me what use is that Depth of Field preview button in the R5 (or any EVIL camera)? Especially when R and RP don't have one.
Again, the EOS R does not stop down the lens before it actually takes the photo.

So the reason the EOS R doesn't have one is not because it's not needed. You can still assign DOF preview to another button. But it likely doesn't have one because nobody really uses DOF preview anymore.

As was also mentioned, you can traditionally program that button to do all sorts of other things too, so it's very much a nice addition to the camera.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
As was also mentioned, you can traditionally program that button to do all sorts of other things too, so it's very much a nice addition to the camera.

Agreed completely, I absolutely love that button and miss it when I'm using an EOS R. I have mine set up to switch focus modes while it's held down, I always have my camera in Servo focus, and when I need one-shot I just hold down the DOF button and it will switch to one-shot while it's held down for a few images, but will let me immediately be back in Servo the second action starts back up.

My 1DX2 has two of these buttons, and I have the secondary DOF button set to playback, so that when I'm shooting with a 400mm f/2.8 or etc I can hit the playback button with my right hand on the grip and my left hand still holding up the lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Just my two cents but here's my prediction of the specs that we saw earlier.

• 8K @ 30fps Crop 1 to 1 pixel readout about a 1.17x crop factor 45MP downsized to 33MP.
  • 4K @ 120fps If 8K 30 is possible, 4K120 is the same bandwidth of data. If it's also a 1 to 1 readout from the camera. ~2+ crop factor. From a processor perspective, crop factor should match 8K30's crop factor.
  • 4K @ 60fps No Crop Full Sensor Down Sample from 45MP to 8MP

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Agreed completely, I absolutely love that button and miss it when I'm using an EOS R. I have mine set up to switch focus modes while it's held down, I always have my camera in Servo focus, and when I need one-shot I just hold down the DOF button and it will switch to one-shot while it's held down for a few images, but will let me immediately be back in Servo the second action starts back up.

My 1DX2 has two of these buttons, and I have the secondary DOF button set to playback, so that when I'm shooting with a 400mm f/2.8 or etc I can hit the playback button with my right hand on the grip and my left hand still holding up the lens.
Yeah I have always been jealous that the 1D usually gets two of these buttons up front. Canon sure is stingy with the buttons. That's the one thing I really wish they would take from Sony... Give us free-form, totally customizable buttons we can assign to anything. The best we have ever gotten out of Canon are some buttons like this that have a legacy use, but they graciously give us a few other options. Some buttons, like this one, get a lot of choices, but I still hate how restrictive they are with the number of buttons and options for use with them.

The way Sony does this almost makes up for their horrible menus because you can just assign a button to that menu option you can never find.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Seems from the photo we are not getting the traditional thumbwheel of all canon's dslrs. Can't get used to eos R back wheel. It's in such a weird place and angle

Pray tell, how did you come to this conclusion? Is there another photo you'd like to share with the class?

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0