Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

*That's the entire catch, right?

What happens if 12 bit RAW or a very stripped down AE/AF mode is required to hit 20 fps?

What happens if 8K video lacks DPAF or lacks every conceivable codec you usually use?

There will be strings attached. How big/bad/nasty they are we shall see.

- A

I doubt they will do another missing DPAF from 8k like they did with M50/RP.
But there certainly will be strings attached.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm going $3,799 - $4,200 USD. The 5DsR came in higher than past 5D models, and accounting for inflation since the release of the 5D IV and considering some of the capacity listed here, I think that's pretty reasonable
How about how the R came in so much lower? There are two sides to this pricing guessing game. I do not imagine it getting into the >$3999 region. $3299 is my guess as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
my money is on '$too much for me to afford' but I am still very interested to see the official announcement. This thing is looking like a beast. Ignoring the mirror Vs No mirror pros/cons, it looks like the best all round camera ever released. Just a few weeks after canon gave us the best pro sports camera ever released and the best aps-c DSLR ever released. All credit to them for deciding to own the market again. Given the current market conditions for ILCs that is a mammoth move

Upvote 0
*That's the entire catch, right?

What happens if 12 bit RAW or a very stripped down AE/AF mode is required to hit 20 fps?

What happens if 8K video lacks DPAF or lacks every conceivable codec you usually use?

There will be strings attached. How big/bad/nasty they are we shall see.

- A
Oh I'll bet on those - I am betting definitely 12 bit raw to hit 20fps (the a7RIV drops down to 12 bit I think just to hit 10 fps), and no AF at 8K (I don't think the 1DX has AF at 5.5k).

edit - the a7IV doesn't yet exist, I meant the a7RIV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
You’re not wrong, but I love the grip on the R. It feels great in my hand and very balanced. Of course, I’m coming from a 6D not a 5D, so not exactly the same as your experience. But, I still love the feel.

Well, if you had the 28-70 or the 85 you would see that eergonomics of the R body could be improved.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
How about how the R came in so much lower? There are two sides to this pricing guessing game. I do not imagine it getting into the >$3999 region. $3299 is my guess as well.

Speculating, but:

Single card.​
Mandatory kool-aid drinking of their new control set.​
Must love touch screens.​
Not a ruggedized pro build​
Felt like a concept car and not 'the next model year' of the car you currently drive and love​

I think they whacked the price because a 5D4-like price on those specs in late 2018 would have been ridiculed vs. the value an A7III was delivering at that time. Perhaps it was also a deliberate unit-mover price by Canon in a gambit to sell more $2K+ RF lenses to eager early adopters.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Reading all the rumors, I keep wondering if we will see a 5D mark V DSLR or a high MP mirrorless this year or in the case of the 5D5 (at all).

Is RF L glass that much of an improvement over EF L glass?

100% we will see a 5D5. Event/wedding folks won't just give up their mirrors and control set because Canon said so. We'll see cheaper SLR lines purged/retired/moved exclusively to mirrorless long before the 5-series is put to bed.

- A

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I doubt they will do another missing DPAF from 8k like they did with M50/RP.
But there certainly will be strings attached.
There won't be any AF in 8K, there won't be AF in the 20 FPS mode and there will be a >2 crop for 120p 4K. If that's not the case, they withheld features from the 1DX and I can't imagine that.

Upvote 0
For all we know, the 8k is only available in full auto mode. You never know with Canon :ROFLMAO:
The 8k will only be available if you bought the RF Holy Trinity L lenses and registered them. There is also an electric fence and venomous ants with lasers on their head in front of the second card slot. If you buy the RF Holy Trinity L lenses, the fence and the ants can be removed.

• Haha
Upvote 0
100% we will see a 5D5. Event/wedding folks won't just give up their mirrors and control set because Canon said so. We'll see cheaper SLR lines purged/retired/moved exclusively to mirrorless long before the 5-series is put to bed.

- A

I happily ditched my 5D4 for the two R's and they work spectacularly for weddings/events.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Well, if you had the 28-70 or the 85 you would see that eergonomics of the R body could be improved.

I think everything up to a 70-200 2.8 should be comfortable to use on this body for long days of handheld shooting. Anything bigger, that's on you -- take breaks, get a monopod, consider a beefier RF 1-series someday, etc.

- A

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
There won't be any AF in 8K, there won't be AF in the 20 FPS mode and there will be a >2 crop for 120p 4K. If that's not the case, they withheld features from the 1DX and I can't imagine that.
Yeah, Im having a hard time believing they released the R + RP without crop-less 4k and DPAF in the RP, and <1 year later, we're getting DPAF in 8k and 4k120 with no crop.

Upvote 0