Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

Thats the nature of a development announcement: Some teasing without showing it all ...
I understand that. My point was that today is the first time it's been explicitly stated that it WILL BE a dev announcement and no more (though, fair enough, with the rumored release not until July, you could put those pieces together).

Upvote 0
Respectfully disagree. I do appreciate your writeup, though.

Human hands didn't get smaller with the removal of the mirror. So while it's absolutely easier to carry a body -- broken down without a lens on it -- it is less enjoyable, less comfortable, less real estate for controls and dedicated buttons when actually using it.

So shrinking down every FF body because everyone it doing it is the behavior of lemmings. It implies a lack of insight on Canon's part to see that folks are headed to Sony for a dozen reasons other than size.

If Canon will have 4 or 5 lines of RF mount bodies, they would be foolish to not consider the unique ergonomic needs of each target user base.
There is no one body footprint to unite them all, and Canon playing that there might be surely seems like a cost containment / shared inventory move. And I honestly hope I'm wrong about that.

- A

I agree. I used to shoot with a 1D mark ii, and when I suddenly found myself with a RP in my hands, it gave me a strange and not too pleasant feeling.
I love the fact that the RP is small and light in the bag, on the shoulder or clipped at the waist, but when it's in my hands, my fingers feel crowded and just wrap around that thing instead of naturally finding the buttons. The body is so light that the lens makes is roll to the front.
Would I prefer a bigger camera? Quite a dilemma!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
No one said it had to be a DOF button.

If real, I'm guessing is a programmable/assignable button (switch to silent running, switch to servo, etc, snap to center AF -- who knows?).

- A

Imagine Front Button Focus. You'd still have your thumb free for other things.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Tony is a fine person, but he stopped being a fan of Canon a long time ago. He's all in for Sony now.

Tony shoots most of his video on Canon. Stills with Sony. So if the video stuff were true about the R5, you'd think he'd be salivating.

He pretty much said what I said: Canon coming out with this camera could theoretically be true, but it wouldn't be in character. Would be like Bernie Sanders suddenly revealing he was a 32 year old mother of three who was president of her college's young Republicans. Not in so many words.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The L series RF primes basically destroy the L series EF primes, so . . . yeah.

i just got that lens and the 70-200rf.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
He pretty much said what I said: Canon coming out with this camera could theoretically be true, but it wouldn't be in character. Would be like Bernie Sanders suddenly revealing he was a 32 year old mother of three who was president of her college's young Republicans. Not in so many words.

That's exactly why everyone is losing their s--- over the R5.

Canon is (if these specs are correct) walking away from small iterative improvements and finally swinging for the fences.

Forget the camera itself. Canon as an imaging company may be finally prepared to spec war it out with Sony, which is nothing but a win for us.

- A

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
"In character"? WTH with this roleplaying? Canon is a business, not a political showman.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
That's exactly why everyone is losing their s--- over the R5.

Canon is (if these specs are correct) walking away from small iterative improvements and finally swinging for the fences.

Forget the camera itself. Canon as an imaging company may be finally prepared to spec war it out with Sony, which is nothing but a win for us.

- A

The tone of their financial report suggested they were fed up with being regarded as laggards and they were going to be very aggressive. Canon does not say a lot and gives even less away on their road map, so when they come out with statements like they did it is like a Trappist monk saying 'that isn't good': you damned well listen. They know what gets customers salivating and the are aware that in the modern world of trial-by-social-media, image (no pun intended) is everything.
They may not be worried by the size of Sony's presence but they are probably concerned by the rate of growth and that is what they need to tackle.

Above, it was mentioned that Sony have the aluued-to A7Siii to come out. So maybe they are being sneaky with the - by giving long-lead announcements on the 8K it may reduce the impact of Sony's announcements whatever it is. A real spoiler, even if the Sony is released first.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Above, it was mentioned that Sony have the aluued-to A7Siii to come out. So maybe they are being sneaky with the - by giving long-lead announcements on the 8K it may reduce the impact of Sony's announcements whatever it is. A real spoiler, even if the Sony is released first.

Or worse, they launch it but say it's '8K ready via a firmware update to be named later' and still ask you for $3499 for it now.

- A

• Haha
Upvote 0