Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Who expected this?
And smaller and slimmer are two different things: While the latter relates to the absence of mirror box compared to 5DIV, the width&height would be nice to keep (nicely phrased by another poster saying that our hands did not get smaller with the entrance in the mirrorless world)
That's silly! I understand that hand size hasn't changed, but I've used Canon 700D and 80D which are significantly smaller than a 5D and never felt the camera was too small for my hands. Similarly, I've handled and tried the Canon R for quite a while at a photo expo a few months ago and never felt the camera was too small.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

leviathan18

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2019
Enhanced EOS R system
Developed next-generation full-size mirrorless camera "EOS R5" and RF lens

Canon has cultivated many years of in-house development of cameras, such as CMOS sensors, video engines, and optics.
By combining technology, we are developing the next-generation full-size mirrorless camera "EOS R5" of the "EOS R System".
We are also developing nine models of RF lenses with the aim of launching them in 2020. Attractive camera,
We will enhance the EOS R system by adding lenses to the lineup.
The EOS R system has a large mount diameter and short back that increase the degree of freedom in lens design.
It has the features of high-speed communication system between the focus and lens and camera.
It is an imaging system that realizes improvement.
The next-generation full-size mirrorless camera currently under development takes advantage of the features of the EOS R system,
We aim to expand the range of image expression by realizing even higher-speed continuous shooting and 8K video shooting.
In addition, communication functions, operability and reliability can be further improved, and workflow can be streamlined. these
The function realizes the basic concept of the EOS series, "rapid speed, comfort and high image quality" at a high level.
The EOS R5, the first of the next generation full-size mirrorless cameras of the EOS R System,
Newly developed CMOS sensor, up to approx. 20 fps with electronic shutter, best with mechanical shutter
Aiming for a continuous shooting performance of about 12 frames / sec., It also supports high-speed moving subjects such as sports.
In addition, by being able to shoot 8K video, high-resolution still images can be cut out and 4K video with higher image quality can be created.
Can be processed, expanding the range of video expression. In addition, Canon's first in-body image stabilization mechanism
By adopting a method of cooperatively controlling both the in-lens image stabilization mechanism of the RF lens,
We aim for even higher performance image stabilization. In addition, we cope with dual slot newly,
It will have an automatic image transfer function from the camera to the cloud platform "image.canon".
In addition, it can be mounted on RF lens "RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM" and the same model
We are developing “Extender RF1.4 ×” and “Extender RF2 ×”. These three models
We have developed a total of nine models of RF lenses, including a total of nine, and aim to launch them in 2020.
<Reference>
A world of cameras and photographic images to be held at Pacifico Yokohama from February 27 to March 1, 2020
"EOS R5" and Canon EOS R5 under development at the Canon booth of the "CP +" Premier Show
“RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM”, “Extender RF1.4 ×”, “Extender RF2 ×”
We will exhibit for reference.

Upvote 0
I would bet in the same RAW format used in the 1DX III for 5.5K 60p video. Why would they not offer a compressed version of that on the 1DX III if they had a chip capable of encoding 8K 30p?
No. The 1D MUST have features this camera doesn’t. That’s the way canon works (I worked there). Considering the larger MP sensor I’m betting full frame 4K with CLOG, cropped slow motion and 8K compressed.

Upvote 0
I am sad. This camera is going to be great. But the specs suggest that it will be priced very high, probably in the price range of the A7Riv and A9ii. So that means that the only two R cameras that I could afford (the R and RP) will be without dual cards. Canon will still have no dual-card camera to compete with the A7iii.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0