Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Being able to map function to buttons is really useful but I just read that it doesn't have buttons on top. That is maybe a handling problem for me (although I do not know how serious) because mapping does not solve everything if many buttons are missing. Let's hope handling will be better than R. For example I miss the drive speed button which on R I can do it only via the multifunction button (and after some key presses with touch of course). Another issue is the lack of setting a whole set of functions to a button (just like EOS 5DIV, 5DsR, 7DII). I use this to switch INSTANTLY to another group of settings when there is a bird in the sky and I want to take a picture of it. Imaging using lower speed (to keep iso low) and 1 point AF when shooting something on the ground and you see a bird. You can switch to a higher speed, many point AF, possibly exposure compensation, specific AF tracking parameters, etc, all with the pressing of one button. Yes, one of 3 Custom mode settings could also be a solution but the button is even faster. And there is not even such a dial on EOS R5!

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
With those rumoured burst rates, wouldn't you think it would be advantageous to have (2) CF Express cards instead of (1) SD and (1) CF Express?
I think given what we know about Sony, you would need CFExpress cards to move 45 mp at 20 fps and/or 8K video would also require a much faster card than SD. This camera would have to be more like the 1DX3 in its ability to move data, unless buffering issues are something this camera will have.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Feel better about yourself now?

Well, apparently you still haven't figured out that you asked a question about a Depth of Field button, and that it was answered.

You then turned around and ranted about the uselessness of a button for Exposure simulation. Which isn't even what your original damned question was about.

You're the one coming across poorly here.

Upvote 0
I didn’t read this entire thread, but anyone else conserved by the two AF on buttons? It has the new 1DXiii focus point selector, but then has another button to the right of it where the usual AF on is. Don’t know if they both work or not. I hope the selector one is a push button as well. A bit odd as usually they make the 1D and 5 controls the same.

Upon inspection, it appears that the R5 does not use the same optical AF point selector as the 1DXiii and instead uses the old joystick next to a standard AF on button. A bit disappointing that it isn't the same, but I guess there are other ergo differences as well so you have to accept that it is just different.

Upvote 0
Well, apparently you still haven't figured out that you asked a question about a Depth of Field button, and that it was answered.

You then turned around and ranted about the uselessness of a button for Exposure simulation. Which isn't even what your original damned question was about.

You're the one coming across poorly here.

GFY

• Haha
Upvote 0
I'll try it, but I'd prefer to have cheaper native lenses. Especially since I already have one RF lens, and taking the adapter on and off is not ideal. If the RF mount is going to have any amount of success it is going to need third party support. Having access to a cheaper holy trinity will make or break this mount.
A cheaper holy Trinity is literally all the EF versions but buy the cheapo $99 adapter for them all and you'll still have comparable IQ and still save money

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Except I wasn't wrong. You are just not understanding my explanation. There are always more than one way to skin a cat. And for you to be so narrow minded means that you limit your own abilities to comprehend. I'm not saying that the exposure simulation LITERALLY changes the DOF, I'm saying that it 'simulates' the amount of light that would be available for a photograph by changing the exposure in the EVF as though the shutter were physically updated. Wrap your brain around that.

I ran an experiment yesterday to learn about depth of field preview.

- I had my 35 mm on the camera with the aperture set to f8.
- I put one water bottle close to me and one across the table.
- When focused on the close bottle in the EVF, the far bottle was out of focus (as one would expect an f1.8 lens to show wide open).
- I hit depth of field preview (I mapped it to my movie record button), and both bottles came into focus in the EVF, showing f8 gave me an appropriate DOF.

I think this is a very useful tool if I’m trying to shoot a family portrait as open as possible while keeping everyone in focus and not wanting to trial and error test shots. Or previewing a landscape scene. I like it.

Upvote 0

- When focused on the close bottle in the EVF, the far bottle was out of focus (as one would expect an f1.8 lens to show wide open).
- I hit depth of field preview (I mapped it to my movie record button), and both bottles came into focus in the EVF, showing f8 gave me an appropriate DOF.

I think this is a very useful tool if I’m trying to shoot a family portrait as open as possible while keeping everyone in focus and not wanting to trial and error test shots. Or previewing a landscape scene. I like it.

Shooting a family of varying depths all depends on how far away you're willing or able to be from your subject. Obviously the further away you are from them, the more open the aperture you're able to shoot.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
That's silly! I understand that hand size hasn't changed, but I've used Canon 700D and 80D which are significantly smaller than a 5D and never felt the camera was too small for my hands. Similarly, I've handled and tried the Canon R for quite a while at a photo expo a few months ago and never felt the camera was too small.

Think twice. Do you have RF 85 and/or the RF 28-70?
I do. These are so bulky and heavy that a more chunky body really would help ..

Upvote 0
Think twice. Do you have RF 85 and/or the RF 28-70?
I do. These are so bulky and heavy that a more chunky body really would help ..

I have the R with the 28-70mm, but do use the battery grip. I would be happy with anything between the R and the 5D, but with battery grip. I would agree that the R without the grip works, and has plenty of finger clearance, but I appreciate the extra heft of the BG.

Upvote 0