Here is the official Canon EOS R system white paper

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
A significant new innovation is incorporated into the design of these lenses—a special knurled control ring, which in the initial
RF lens embodiments is positioned at the very front of the lens
—before thefocusing control ring...

I do hope that later RF lenses have the control ring at the rear of the lens so that it would be in the same position when an EF lens is mounted with the Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R, as it would help with muscle memory.

Also, I wonder if there is a way to integrate both the control ring and drop-in filter holder into one adapter while maintaining the required flange focal distance? I'm guessing 24mm is too thin to have both, unless the control ring is reduced to a very narrow ring around the adapter & the associated sensor & microprocessor for it can be crammed into the remaining adapter space...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The new lens does looked impressive, but tbh personally the optical viewfinder can’t be replaced in some cases by full electronic ones, (in the field with very cold environment shooting northern lights, I had experience that after 3 hours the LCD of all cameras in the team got frozen and lags big or even dies off, that’s where ovf rocks) and it will be a sad thing if that sounds like canon is going all in the rf mount and fades out the ef series

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I do hope that later RF lenses have the control ring at the rear of the lens so that it would be in the same position when an EF lens is mounted with the Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R, as it would help with muscle memory.

I hope not! It seems the position on the current RF lenses is the most sensible.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
i would prefer the ring on the body around the mount, especially when the mount sticks out as much from the body as on the EOS R.

i prefer implementation 1 time (on body) instead of on every single lens. way more economical. that way Canon could lower the ridiculously high RF lens orices by 10-15%. wheathersealing much easier. ring close to body (like classical aperture rings) are more ergonomical than on front if lens.

Upvote 0
The new lens does looked impressive, but tbh personally the optical viewfinder can’t be replaced in some cases by full electronic ones, (in the field with very cold environment shooting northern lights, I had experience that after 3 hours the LCD of all cameras in the team got frozen and lags big or even dies off, that’s where ovf rocks) and it will be a sad thing if that sounds like canon is going all in the rf mount and fades out the ef series

Interesting insight for a specialized field of photography. Tbh though, all electronics have a temperature limit. More likely than not, if the LCD goes, so too does the cmos sensor’s power electronics. Yes, while it is good to have the sensor ideally just above absolute zero to reduce or eliminate dark current, the non-heated parts within the camera would shut down. What I want to say is that for all electronic components, there will always be a temperature range for which a given system operates nominally. If more extreme conditions are encountered (such as your northern lights example), customized or adapted photography tools are required such as heating elements etc.

Btw, this isn’t directly on topic but I just learned about this company. Fascinating results regarding noise performance... wow! http://www.centralds.net/cam/?cat=46

Upvote 0
No, LCD just generally slows down at colder temperatures. If instead it were a LED array, it would work just fine (as long as you have a steady supply of warm batteries, that is).
Exactly, it goes very slow at -29 C for three hours, and at that moment only the mirror slippers still works and the A7 in the team is basically unworkable

Upvote 0
Be careful when looking at and comparing MTF charts. There was a discussion on the new 600 f/4 that the new charts may be using a different standard. The new 600 III MTF looks bad when compared to the MTF charts released with the 600 II. The RF 24-105 has the new "Look", it only has 4 lines instead of the 8 used in the old charts for the EF 24-105. Not sure what it all means or what's changed. Canon Japan had the new charts for both the 600 II and III and they showed an improvement in the corners for the 600 III.

We're all just waiting for Uncle Roger to do real MTF charts anyway. No one will know anything until does an apples-to-apples test comparison. And snarks.

Upvote 0