Here We Go Again, New 50mm L Coming in 2018 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told by a very good source that Canon will finally address the 50mm focal length in 2018. There are apparently two prototypes currently being tested by select photographers.</p>
<p>We’re told one of the lenses is an EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM, which was likely developed alongside the brand new EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM. We were not told what the other 50mm prototype lens was.</p>
<p>The announcement is slated for some time in the first half of 2018. As always though, lenses come where they’re done and ready for production, not when the marketing people want them to be announced. Therefore, delays are always possible.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>

<p>To be perfectly honest, we don’t like reporting about 50mm lenses, as we’ve been burned a few times in the past.</p>
<p>The same source did mention that a previous design for a fast 50mm lens was scrapped due to do some new technologies in design and manufacturing that Canon utilizes now.</p>
<p>We’re wondering if Canon will do the same thing with the 50mm that they’ve done with the 85mm and that’s keeping the f/1.2L version current while adding the f/1.4L IS to the lineup. It wouldn’t shock us to see the nearly 25 year old EF 50mm f/1.4 remain current as a value option. We think a 50mm f/1.4L IS would fit nicely in the lineup at around $999 USD.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
"To be perfectly honest, we don’t like reporting about 50mm lenses, as we’ve been burned a few hundred times in the past."

CR Guy is a hero, IMHO, but 50 prime rumors are like Lucy pulling out the football from Charlie Brown with him. It's his kryptonite.

- A

P.S. Reminds me of an oldie-but-a-goodie below.

Attachments

• Charlie-Brown-football2.jpg
    Charlie-Brown-football2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 6,676
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The "We’re told one of the lenses is an EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM" (plus the thread title) implies it is an L lens, then? That would imply it's not the compact little non-L wonder I'm looking for.

Pity. There's a near zero chance I'd buy a pickle jar Art/Otus-killer, which one would presume is coming if Canon offers a 50 f/1.4L IS.

- A

Attachments

• 50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 6,636
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ahsanford said:
"To be perfectly honest, we don’t like reporting about 50mm lenses, as we’ve been burned a few hundred times in the past."

CR Guy is a hero, IMHO, but 50 prime rumors are like Lucy pulling out the football from Charlie Brown with him. It's his kryptonite.

- A

P.S. Reminds me of an oldie-but-a-goodie below.

Haha! The new 50 follows the 24-70 II and 100-400 II in the number of head bangs on the desk.

Upvote 0
OK, so one will be the pickle jar, so the other must be smaller and likely a 'compact little non-L wonder', right?

ahsanford said:
The "We’re told one of the lenses is an EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM" (plus the thread title) implies it is an L lens, then? That would imply it's not the compact little non-L wonder I'm looking for.

Pity. There's a near zero chance I'd buy a pickle jar Art/Otus-killer, which one would presume is coming if Canon offers a 50 f/1.4L IS.

- A

Upvote 0
DaveN said:
I would rather not see it be an L lens, with the corresponding price. I think a 50mm f/1.4 IS USM would fit very nicely in the lineup at around $549 USD, similar in pricing and specs to the 35, 28, and 24 IS lenses. It would be a big improvement over the current lens, without breaking the bank. YMMV.

2 lenses maybe

50f1.4 IS L USM with modern optics, weather sealed, 35LII build quality
50f1.4 USM with double gauss optics, new coatings, and (pray to deity of choice) ringUSM, 85f1.8 build quality (which is perfectly good enough for most)

If we get

50f1.4 IS L USM @ £1500
&
50f1.4 nanoUSM @ whatever

then I'll risk the ART.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Updating my overall 'what 50-ish lens will I finally end up buying' depth chart, which includes a host of rumored specs over the years (Blue would be a new lens, black would be an existing one):

1) Canon 50mm f/1.4 IS USM (ring) -- the original and obvious non-L move a la the 24/28/35 IS refreshes

2) Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM II (nano) -- what we've been hearing lately, nano USM looking sadly like the right 'level' of focusing tech a non-L gets these days

3) Canon 50mm f/1.4L IS USM -- it simply can't be small if it's an L, I see this being a 35L II or bigger animal; OTOH, it will probably be super sharp

4) Tamron 45mm f/1.8 Di VC USD -- hate 3rd party AF for large aperture usage, but it's apparently not terrible

5) Canon 50mm f/1.2L USM -- Small and fast, but non-planar field of focus, finicky AF wider than f/2 and as sharp as cotton balls away from center

Never every going to be on my depth chart in any fashion: anything with manual focus, STM, or something the size/weight of a pickle jar. Or anything Yongnuo offers.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
MayaTlab said:
I too have zero interest for a big, expensive, heavy 50mm.

That said, if it's below €1000 euros, and no bigger and heavier than the f1.2L, maybe.

But ideally it would just be a f1.8/f2 lens.

Overall rendering is primordial. I am not interested in a super sharp lens with a poor bokeh and poor transitions.

If there are truly TWO 50's, surely, one of them would fit that criteria.

I'm glad that I just sold my 50/1.4 :) I decided that I was sick of taking it apart and fixing the USM ring on it, and will just stick it out with the 50/1.8 until there's a replacement. Maybe the universe likes me?

Upvote 0
While I'd like to see Canon address the pothole at 50mm I just can't see them bringing out anything that would tempt me to sell my Tamron 45, particularly as its AF got even better with a 5D4 behind it.

If they do the suggested f1.4 IS USM it's likely to be well out of my price range, though no doubt excellent in all respects. Conversely if they bring out something cheaper then some nice-to-haves will presumably have to be sacrificed, like IS or weather sealing. If they'd delivered ahsanford's mythical lens at the right time I'd probably have gone for it, but they've missed the boat as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
GammyKnee said:
While I'd like to see Canon address the pothole at 50mm I just can't see them bringing out anything that would tempt me to sell my Tamron 45, particularly as its AF got even better with a 5D4 behind it.

If they do the suggested f1.4 IS USM it's likely to be well out of my price range, though no doubt excellent in all respects. Conversely if they bring out something cheaper then some nice-to-haves will presumably have to be sacrificed, like IS or weather sealing. If they'd delivered ahsanford's mythical lens at the right time I'd probably have gone for it, but they've missed the boat as far as I'm concerned.

I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with your Tamron 45 f1.8. I really did like the pictures I got from my copy, but had consistent back focus issues when using the off center focusing points, while it worked fine with the center point. This was with my 1DXII. I gave it up in favor of the 50L.

Upvote 0
Larsskv said:
I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with your Tamron 45 f1.8. I really did like the pictures I got from my copy, but had consistent back focus issues when using the off center focusing points, while it worked fine with the center point. This was with my 1DXII. I gave it up in favor of the 50L.

Yep copy variation in the AF dept can still be an issue with that lens; I remember Dustin Abbott had to return/fix his first personal copy. But when you get a good one they seem to stay good across multiple bodies; mine is fine on 5D2, 5D3 and 5D4 - giving truly Canon lens AF consistency/accuracy on my 5D4, whereas I've heard quite a few tales of Sigma 50 copies being great on one body and terrible on another.

Upvote 0