• I have no interest in such a body

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Reading this thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33568.0 and seriously questioning the premise that there would be high demand for such a product, it seems like the best way to test the theory is to survey Canon Rumors Forum Participants. While forum readers are not your typical consumers, one can reasonably assume that if there is little to no interest among forum readers, the interest among the general public would be even smaller.

Mar 25, 2011
Development costs for a high MP version would be minimal, just as the development costs for the 5DS series, they reused 80% or more of the 5D design, a new sensor and processing software, beefed up base plate, as new designs go, it was a minimal cost spinoff of the 5D

The exact same concept could be used with a 1 series camera, but Canon likely has their design teams working all out on various concepts for FF mirrorless.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Those of us who wished for this before the 1DX2 was announced probably for the most part were hoping for 24 - 28 so it's not fair to compare to the 5DSR. A little more cropping capability for wildlife is an obvious use and I for one don't know why they couldn't have HS and LS modes where you chose to trade MPs against speed.

Obviously the 1DX2 is primarily aimed at sports where the shooter is almost always in a predictable location with the appropriate lens to fill the frame as desired, not needing reach. That kind of shooter doesn't want more MPs.

Jack

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Development costs for a high MP version would be minimal, just as the development costs for the 5DS series, they reused 80% or more of the 5D design, a new sensor and processing software, beefed up base plate, as new designs go, it was a minimal cost spinoff of the 5D

The exact same concept could be used with a 1 series camera, but Canon likely has their design teams working all out on various concepts for FF mirrorless.

I would say that the difference in development costs between 1D body and 5D body would be minimal. Cost of sensor and electronics would be the same. Just the cost of sensor and electronics. 1D body would probably have higher frame rate so that would cost additional development resources.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
RGF said:

I would say that the difference in development costs between 1D body and 5D body would be minimal. Cost of sensor and electronics would be the same. Just the cost of sensor and electronics. 1D body would probably have higher frame rate so that would cost additional development resources.

They could do just as they did with 5D MK III / 5Ds bodies, slow down the frame rate for high MP images, say 7 FPS. This would allow use of the same electronics, or a slightly modified version, so mostly sensor and firmware.

I think that they have delayed so long that mirrorless is now higher on the priority list. They see Nikon coming, and probably have a lot more information or better estimates of what the competition is doing than we do, and will be matching them.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
RGF said:

They could do just as they did with 5D MK III / 5Ds bodies, slow down the frame rate for high MP images, say 7 FPS. This would allow use of the same electronics, or a slightly modified version, so mostly sensor and firmware.

I think that they have delayed so long that mirrorless is now higher on the priority list. They see Nikon coming, and probably have a lot more information or better estimates of what the competition is doing than we do, and will be matching them.

D850 looks, on paper, to be a wonderful camera. Canon will be challenged to match the transfer rate from the sensor to buffer.

And I agree that Canon and Nikon have very good intelligence about the other activity.

Upvote 0
Personally I want the best Canon can produce so exceptional tracking, fps, speed, and heavy/strong/sturdy enough to be coupled with large whites and put up with my banging it against all sorts of stuff.

I am sure the 1DX Mark III will have more pixels - or at least more config options like Jack Douglas suggested, but how many more will depend on the tech available. It is not my major buying point.

I would have thought the 5DS/R range would have been more suited to those with the need for big megapixels.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
takesome1 said:
Have we forgotten history.

The 1Ds IV was never released.
Instead Canon released a 1D X and a 5Ds R.

You will see a High Megapixel 1D body some day. But it will be the natural progression of upgrades, a high frame rate and a processor capable of handling the extra demand.

It took the 1DXII to equal the 1Ds3 at low/base ISO and deliver about the same megapixels.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm always surprised Canon don't have a flagship 1 series high megapixel camera.
I'd say they were tempted doing it for the 5DSR but didn't think it was good enough for a 1 series moniker.
Canon should bring out a 50MP 1D with a reasonable frame rate of 9FPS, good ISO performance, 1DX styling as a flagshop camera. They might not sell many but it would keep the customers wanting it.

Upvote 0