High megapixel EOS R series camera in testing [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last week, a report came out about Canon’s high-megapixel EOS R system camera, saying that the new camera would come with a 150mp image sensor.  While impressive, I had doubts that such a sensor would appear in the near future in a consumer product.
I have now been told that the high-megapixel EOS R camera system camera is in the early stages of testing with a very select group of photographers.
The megapixel count is “significantly lower than 150mp” the source claims, but that it “just about doubles” the 45mp sensor in the upcoming Canon EOS R5.
The video specifications I was told are not all that impressive, as that is definitely not the target market for such a camera. If you’re into video, the Canon EOS R5 is going to have you covered for the foreseeable future, but that the high-megapixel camera will be squarely aimed at still photographers.
This camera should be ready to ship in early 2021...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I think if I go that high for megapixel...I'll just get a medium format camera sensor.

I'm shooting a bit of medium format film now alongside my 5D3 for digital.....and it really is great stuff.

I'll likely get the R5 after it comes out for a bit....read the reviews, see what it does/does not do and maybe even wait for a firmware update.

But for a larger sensor that what will be on the R5, I think I'd save my pennies and go to a larger medium format sensor, like maybe the Fuji offerings.

Or, I"m looking forward to the (hopefully) soon to be released new Hasselblad MF back that will fit in seamlessly with the old V series MF film cameras, but also have a new "camera" body that will integrate with their newer lenses, etc.

Yep, I anticipate it will be $$$$...but I think it would be tons of fun, to use with my 501 CM and older glass.

But I'm not sure how beneficial squeezing like 100MP into a 35mm digital style sensor would do that much good?

If I'm wrong, please someone explain it to me...I'm always happy to learn new things!!
:)

cayenne

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think if I go that high for megapixel...I'll just get a medium format camera sensor.

I'm shooting a bit of medium format film now alongside my 5D3 for digital.....and it really is great stuff.

I'll likely get the R5 after it comes out for a bit....read the reviews, see what it does/does not do and maybe even wait for a firmware update.

But for a larger sensor that what will be on the R5, I think I'd save my pennies and go to a larger medium format sensor, like maybe the Fuji offerings.

Or, I"m looking forward to the (hopefully) soon to be released new Hasselblad MF back that will fit in seamlessly with the old V series MF film cameras, but also have a new "camera" body that will integrate with their newer lenses, etc.

Yep, I anticipate it will be $$$$...but I think it would be tons of fun, to use with my 501 CM and older glass.

But I'm not sure how beneficial squeezing like 100MP into a 35mm digital style sensor would do that much good?

If I'm wrong, please someone explain it to me...I'm always happy to learn new things!!
:)

cayenne
I've seen some impressive shots from a friend that owns one of those Fuji cameras. While I would love to try MF digital, the cost would be quite prohibitive for me on top of my switch to the RF mount system.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I've seen some impressive shots from a friend that owns one of those Fuji cameras. While I would love to try MF digital, the cost would be quite prohibitive for me on top of my switch to the RF mount system.
You could always rent a body and a couple of lenses for a week - that would only set you back between $500 - $1,000 (depending on the exact setup you might rent). Of course that would then just give the "bug" - GAS; Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Let's see... patiently waiting for an uber expensive R5 with tons of video specifics which DO drive the price up (funny how that school of thought has shifted) and I will never use, perhaps by buying refurb or wait for a similar time frame for a stills oriented high MP body with new Canon tech at a lesser price point. Give me a few more rumors, this will be an easy decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I think the R5 will be perfect for high quality images with a large enough sensor. If you need a truly huge file size, than I personally think it is better to think about PhaseOne or Hassemblad. They have 100MB Sony sensor in their arsenal for a while and their reputation is top!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You could always rent a body and a couple of lenses for a week - that would only set you back between $500 - $1,000 (depending on the exact setup you might rent). Of course that would then just give the "bug" - GAS; Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
True, but that is also money that could go towards a high MP R or new RF lens. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Let's see... patiently waiting for an uber expensive R5 with tons of video specifics which DO drive the price up (funny how that school of thought has shifted) and I will never use, perhaps by buying refurb or wait for a similar time frame for a stills oriented high MP body with new Canon tech at a lesser price point. Give me a few more rumors, this will be an easy decision.

I'm still of the thought that the "uber expensive" R5 will weigh in between $3299 to $3699.
Canon wants to eat Sony's lunch and dinner.
Pricing the R5 nearer to $4000 -$4500 range won't allow them to feast.

As soon as they go up for sale at my local shop, I'm trading in the R towards the R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hard call for me ... EOS R5? ... or EOS R high-megapixel? I often print 30 inches, and last year, a distillery requested an 18,000 x 18,000 pixel redwood file for a 10 foot print. I improvised with the 5DS shooting mulitple frames. Half the photos I take are normal portraits and wedding photos.

Wish Canon could let me test out their new high megapixel body.

DNT_Merge_mdv.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
If I had to choose between 2 stills oriented bodies and presumably they are the R6 (20ish mp) and this rumored 150mp monster.

I think I would lean towards the 20mp...for the last decade or so I've been shooting with about 20 and don't really have many complaints, I've printed as large as 24x36" prints with a single file, and they look good on the wall.

Granted I'll probably get the R5 but as other's have mentioned, I won't be happy paying a premium for video features I'll never use.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
We’ve been hearing about a possible high rez Canon mirrorless for two years now. It’s usually given as 75mp, or a bit higher. So this, at a rumored 90mp, or so, makes far more sense than a 150mp model. It fits within Canon’s 100mp capability for their new lenses.

hopefully, the per pixel IQ will not be limited by too much. While I like the concept of 75-90mp, the camera that’s much more interesting to me is the R5.

Upvote 0