Hiring a 5D3 in Melbourne, cheaply?

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
So i'm going to melbourne on the 13th to 15th, my partner's doing a book launch or two, and I thought i'd be volunteer official-photog again.
I've no problems with my 7D and prime-setup (35/1.4, 50/1.4, 55/1.2, 85/1.8, 100/2.0, 120/2.8, 180/2.8, not that i'll be taking all of them), but I thought it might be a nice time to play around with the 5D3. Unfortunately, after googling a bit, I've found a few places that already have the 5D3 in stock to rent (Michael's and Ben's and a few others), but they all seem to be around the $125-mark.
Is it too unreasonable to think I could find one for $50 a day (or $100 for the weekend)? $250 for only 48 hours doesn't sound like the best deal (i'd rather buy and resell a 135/2.0L for less of a price hit).

Mar 25, 2011
dr croubie said:
Including shipping to Australia?
That's a good deal if it is...

Thats why I said "In USA".

I posted it so you could compare USA rental costs to what you were quoted in Melbourne to see if your costs are reasonable. Of course, rentals are high, you are not only paying for the time you use it, but for part of the time its sitting on the shelf waiting to be rented, the overhead, insurance, etc running the shop, and then there is profit and the cost of a Safari to Africa to test them :)

Upvote 0
N

niccyboy

I know this is late, but I needed a second mk3 the other day for a shoot, and the cheapest i could find was 150 at Bens Camera Hire, and Michaels, and $200 at Sun... it was an early start and late finish, so it would have cost me double that... I couldn't justify it so i bought another body....

There is a market for a reasonably priced company hiring bodies in Melb!

Upvote 0