Hoi An, Vietnam

Jun 30, 2013
Just back from a short break in Hoi An. There are far too many tourists, but this doesn't distract from the fact that it is a very photogenic little town. If you are planning a trip to anywhere in Southeast Asia I would definitely recommend stopping by Hoi An. There are flights from many airports in Asia and the flight from Bangkok only takes 90 minutes.

I took an M6 body, three small lenses, and one slightly larger lens. I took my EF-M 18-55mm, but didn't use it at all. The lens I used most was the EF-S 10-22mm. Originally I had intended taking the EF-M 11-22mm, which is a great lens, but the EF-S 10-22 is faster and the image quality is slightly better. The EF-S 10-22mm is bigger, but it is still quite portable.

My second most used lens was the EF-M 22mm and I also took a few shots with the EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake. Travelling with my wife and two small kids I didn't get as many opportunities to take photos as I would have liked, but I did manage to get a few snaps.

I'm still having problems with my M6 changing ISO value without me noticing. I thought I had got to the bottom of this, but there is still a problem. It's really annoying to take a series of shots and then to find that they are all ISO 25,600. I have never had this problem with any Canon camera I have previously owned. Apart from this issue, the M6 is a little gem.

http://phil.uk.net/vietnam/hoi-an.html

Attachments

• japanese-bridge-hoi-an-night-time.jpg
    japanese-bridge-hoi-an-night-time.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 230
  • row-of-trishaws-hoi-an.jpg
    row-of-trishaws-hoi-an.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 250
  • woman-cycling-pan-blur-hoi-an.jpg
    woman-cycling-pan-blur-hoi-an.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 237

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Tyroop said:
Just back from a short break in Hoi An. There are far too many tourists, but this doesn't distract from the fact that it is a very photogenic little town. If you are planning a trip to anywhere in Southeast Asia I would definitely recommend stopping by Hoi An. There are flights from many airports in Asia and the flight from Bangkok only takes 90 minutes.

I took an M6 body, three small lenses, and one slightly larger lens. I took my EF-M 18-55mm, but didn't use it at all. The lens I used most was the EF-S 10-22mm. Originally I had intended taking the EF-M 11-22mm, which is a great lens, but the EF-S 10-22 is faster and the image quality is slightly better. The EF-S 10-22mm is bigger, but it is still quite portable.

My second most used lens was the EF-M 22mm and I also took a few shots with the EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake. Travelling with my wife and two small kids I didn't get as many opportunities to take photos as I would have liked, but I did manage to get a few snaps.

I'm still having problems with my M6 changing ISO value without me noticing. I thought I had got to the bottom of this, but there is still a problem. It's really annoying to take a series of shots and then to find that they are all ISO 25,600. I have never had this problem with any Canon camera I have previously owned. Apart from this issue, the M6 is a little gem.

http://phil.uk.net/vietnam/hoi-an.html

Nice. Please post more.

Scott

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks guys, you are all very kind.
CanonFanBoy, we stayed in Hoi An most of the time and just used a driver for excursions because I didn't know how to get around and have zero Vietnamese language skills. Language can be a big barrier. My Thai is fine, but no other languages. As far as I am aware, there is no problem at all with tourists travelling around without a minder if you want to be adventurous.
My impression, after observing the building of so much tourist infrastructure, is that Vietnam is really going after the tourism trade. Up to now, Thailand has been the dominant player in this sector. The locals are very friendly and welcome foreigners.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Tyroop said:
Thanks guys, you are all very kind.
CanonFanBoy, we stayed in Hoi An most of the time and just used a driver for excursions because I didn't know how to get around and have zero Vietnamese language skills. Language can be a big barrier. My Thai is fine, but no other languages. As far as I am aware, there is no problem at all with tourists travelling around without a minder if you want to be adventurous.
My impression, after observing the building of so much tourist infrastructure, is that Vietnam is really going after the tourism trade. Up to now, Thailand has been the dominant player in this sector. The locals are very friendly and welcome foreigners.
Thanks for the info. I have a Vietnamese friend who has mentioned several times that he and I go to Vietnam for a visit. That would be capital! He was among the boat people that were resettled in Garden Grove, California. That you know Thai is great. I grew up in a spanish speaking household and my spanish is almost non-existent. I really admire folks with the ability to pick up more than one language. My dad didn't teach us, and in fact, discouraged speaking in spanish.

I'll have to look at going. Mexico is too scary right now. My dad won't even go to Mexico. Vietnam is probably much safer. Dad was in Vietnam with the Marines in 1968 during the Tet offensive.

Upvote 0