Holidays 2013: Where the Heck is Canon?

I wish Canon would:

• Offer a tiny, retro styled, big sensor mirrorless camera with dials and buttons

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Stick to DSLRs and stay the course

Votes: 48 65.8%
  • Go completely out of the box, like Sony is doing with the QX line. Something wild

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Focus on medium format

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
I'm a Canon shooter and have been a Canon shooter for decades. I'm ready to buy a camera. But before I go for that 5DM3, I have to say that I'm tempted to jump ship. It seems like there's a lot of innovation happening elsewhere right now (with the 70D being the exception, but video is not my top priority) and Canon seems to be lagging.

Where is the EOSM2???

The idea of having a tiny, pocketable camera that can share lenses with a full featured beast is really appealing. I need to rent an EOSM1 to see if it is really as bad as so many people on YouTube and online claim to judge for myself. But for a while, everything was pointing to an EOSM2, so I've waited. And waited. The EOSM looks nice, but I like buttons and dials for direct access more than pure touch screen ui. And I'd be mainly using it for street photography, where silence is golden, and this camera is not quiet, much less silent.

I'm seriously considering an Olympus EM-1 and the rumored Panasonic GM1 as a combo. Those two bodies can be had for less than a 5DM3, and the M4/3 lens selection rivals Canon, and wins on price. Of course, I won't get the 5D FF low light/high ISO performance. But the other benefits are pretty appealing.

Other manufacturers are about to have a pretty revolutionary week:

• * Sony has 2 FF mirrorless cameras coming!
    * Fuji has 2 new cameras coming
    * Panasonic is about to announce the world's smallest ILC 4/3 camera
    * Olympus has unveiled the EM1, and it looks to be an amazing camera
    * Nikon (can I say that word here? ;) ) even released the AW1, which sounds pretty cool. Shockproof. Dive proof? Neat!

C'mon Canon!!! I really don't want to give up all of that muscle memory and your wonderful UI. It still fits me best. To say nothing of my glass. Where are you this year? Are the holidays REALLY going to come and go without you? Are we really going to have to wait until 2014? I don't know if I want to wait that long...

@douglas: Why don't you just purchase those mirrorless cameras and be done with it? It doesn't appear to me that you value the extra capabilities of a 5D Mark III sufficiently to really go for that. I for one stick to my 1D-X and 5D Mark III and may potentially purchase an EOS-M only because of weight limitations for carry-on luggage. I don't see why I would invest in a second or third system just because of that.

Upvote 0
Sorry, this year Canon is putting it's money on "limited edition" PowerShots at bloated prices. Straight out of bizarro world!

Seriously, I'm pregnant with anticipation for the next EOS M developments. I want to replace my T2i as a second camera (to the 5D3). A 70D may be the answer, but I'd really prefer something smaller that will do comparable IQ.

I've thought a lot about the alternatives. They have a lot to offer, but I don't like the idea of two systems, and none of them seem as consistently reliable as Canon.

As always, I'm patient.

Upvote 0
douglasgottlieb said:
It seems like there's a lot of innovation happening elsewhere right now (with the 70D being the exception, but video is not my top priority) and Canon seems to be lagging.
Every company is always lagging some other company in something. If you pick a week when Canon has no announcements, you'll find someone else innovating more that week. If you only look at things that meet your personal priorities, you can miss a lot that is relevant to other photographers. Right now, Canon is making photographers happy with innovative products like the 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, 17 T-SE, 8-15 fisheye, 200-400 with built-in 1.4X extender, SL1 (world's smallest & lightest DSLR), three small high quality primes with built-in IS (24, 28, 35), a fantastic AF 40mm pancake lens, ... and of course the 70D.

Upvote 0
L

Lichtgestalt

a sony RX100 II like camera from canon would be nice.
the G16 is not bad but a ugly brick.

something that shows what is possible today.
bigger sensor then S series (prefered a 1″ 13.2 x 8.8 mm).
with a really nice lens that starts at f1.8 or f2 and covers 20-90mm.
1000k-dot touchscreen, gps, 8-12 fps, hotshoe and wifi.
and very important, pocketable!

i don´t think i ask for something impossible.

im tempted to buy a m43 again, the small GM1 from panasonic. but it´s still a little to big.
and i don´t need a interchangeable lens system.
just a bigger sensor then the S series with a very good 20/24-80/90mm zoom lens.

im very happy with my canon DSLR cameras.
but i want a really good "carry all day" camera from canon.
a high-end "p&s"camera i can use my canon equipment with.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
RLPhoto said:
What innovation I need is a blinky LED to light up my AF point in my MK3.
+1 Make that a red LED showing the AF points...for 1DX, 5D3 (or their successors) plus the 7D2.
If Canon went with the familiar, useful red LED AF points on the 7D2, this would be a useful, reassuring "we got it wrong" statement with regards to the frequently irritating, semi-visible black AF points on 1DX & 5D3.

As for "where the heck is Canon" I'd say way out in front. They're clear leaders in global sales and most recent releases have been winners. A better M will be appreciated, but if you need more mirrorless choice, the marketplace is drowning in brilliant options. Check out the newest Olympus OM-D.

pw

Upvote 0
AmbientLight said:
9VIII said:
Put me up for a retro styled EOS-M2 covered in buttons and dials.

Now this would be something to be seen after Canon put so much effort into that touchy screeny thingy. :eek:

The retro styled, compact, APSC or FF mirrorless with buttons and dials is what I'm after too. And Panasonic cameras (some of them) give you both touch screen and buttons. The GX7, for instance. I'd love a Canon like that.

Upvote 0
Im not completely jumped ships yet but I did pick up a olympus e-p5+17mm f1.8 which I love.

I really want to see what canon will do in their next version of the EOS-M.

Hope they do some catching up as Sony, Olympus, Fuji are clearly winning this market.

And now that Sony has just announced a FF mirrorless, this may potentially kill off the 6d and 5dmkiii, and push those that were on the fence to jump ships.

Upvote 0
If you want only a camera for the holidays then forget the expensive 5D Mark III or 1D X. You don´t need it.

Re to: Where the Heck is Canon?
Canon is sleeping and loosing a lot of customers during the last years. A lot of new cameras and new lenses are out for testing, but non of them hit the market until today and Canon is not willing to make an announcement for the new products. It´s time to fire a few responsible persons in the headquarter.

Upvote 0