Hoping Sigma can make a 35L alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2010
Ok, so i can't afford the 35L @ $1479 USD, and the 35mm F2.0 is not really what i am looking for.

I hope Sigma can make a 35mm F1.4 HSM just like the 50mm & 85mm, and have it price between the two.

I am sure this lens would sell well for Nikon and Sony mount as well, since the Nikkor 35mm F1.4 is ~$1650 and the Sony G 35mm is ~$1500

anybody else want the same thing?

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I think lots of Nikon shooters would, their 35mm f/1.4 is not a good price to performance lens, while the Canon 35mmL is worth it. I've had too many poor Sigma lenses to be easily won over, I've read good reviews, but when I got one, it was a disappointment.

the 85? mine was front focusing but a short trip to sigma for calibration and its amazing

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
wickidwombat said:
I think lots of Nikon shooters would, their 35mm f/1.4 is not a good price to performance lens, while the Canon 35mmL is worth it. I've had too many poor Sigma lenses to be easily won over, I've read good reviews, but when I got one, it was a disappointment.

the 85? mine was front focusing but a short trip to sigma for calibration and its amazing
The 85mm Nikon is outstanding, so both Canon and Nikon users have a excellent option with that one, but the OP is talking 35mm.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:

The 85mm Nikon is outstanding, so both Canon and Nikon users have a excellent option with that one, but the OP is talking 35mm.

i meant were you disappointed with the sigma 85

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
MK5GTI said:
Ok, so i can't afford the 35L @ $1479 USD, and the 35mm F2.0 is not really what i am looking for.

If you have the time to search around: There are rather cheap 35L lenses used from time to time on local markets. This lens has been around very long, is a rather specialized prime and too expensive to keep it as a paper weight - these three things seem to make amateurs in need for money sell it when they figure they seldom use it next to their standard f2.8 or even f4 zoom.

Upvote 0
MK5GTI said:
how does the Sigma 85mm compare to Nikkor 85mm F1.4 (creammachine) anyways?

very similar actually
9 circular blade aperture gives it very very nice bokeh although if its bokeh that you are chasing pure and simple i dont think anything beats the canon 85L 1.2 however the sigma has faster AF by a long way and the sigma from f2 onwards is razor sharp

Upvote 0
MK5GTI said:
good to know, i can never afford the 85L or the cream machine from Nikkor

the sigma 85 f1.4 is so good i've almost stopped shooting with my 70-200 f2.8L IS II
at f2 its considerably sharper than the zoom is at f2.8 so now i'm considering selling my 70-200 an getting the canon 200 f2L since i only use my 70-200 these days when i'm chasing 200mm

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
I've said it before and i'll say it again:
If you can get away without AF (like for landscapes, or anything about f/4 is hyperfocalled anyway), you can't do better than the Samyang 35 (although yes, the Samyang optical quality plus AF would be killer if it were less than $500)

+1000

I have the "Rokinon" branded Samyang and it is a very cool lens. I put a programmable autofocus confirm chip on mine and it's a joy to use. Put the camera in "A", half-depress the shutter and twist the focus ring until the camera confirms focus then press for the shot. Caveat is aperture needs to be open enough to allow enough light to focus...otherwise you have to focus at f1.4 then stop it down on lens.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
wickidwombat said:
MK5GTI said:
any info on the AF confirmation chip? does it has to be retrofit, as in taking the lens apart?
stuck on the back apparently, you could use the same chips edmika puts on his FD-EF adaptors
you have to program the info into them so they report lens focal length and aperture correctly to the camera

I have and did.
It's easiest to line the chip up in the correct posistion either by pulling the rear mount off the lens (4 screws, not a big deal), or by lining up the pins on an extension tube (kenko or canon, as long as it's an extension tube with pins). Being able to see where the pins line up makes it so much easier, if you're trying to line up the pins on the chip using the lens on a camera, you won't be able to see anything and it's almost impossible.

The chips edMika uses come from ml-gvalt on ebay (in lithuania or something). Same as the chips from peleng8.com.
They're a bit weird to program, have to half-unmount the lens and whatnot, but after installing 3 chips i'm getting better at it...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.