Status
Not open for further replies.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Helen Oster said:
Actually, Adorama doesn't charge sales tax; the state of NJ charges it and for NJ residents we are legally obliged to collect it.

There is a provision on the NJ income tax forms for you to declare out of state purchases that are subject to NJ state sales tax; many NY / NJ residents actively choose to purchase from retailers who collect on their behalf, as it saves them the bother - in any case, you really do need to pay that tax when filing your state income tax return...

As I've said before, I'm a long time customer of Adorama (since the 1970s) and they are my preferred retailer for photographic supplies. I also appreciate that they pay Helen to monitor and respond on this forum.

But, I have to say, on the tax issue, the comments are a bit disingenuous. Adorama (As well as B&H, Amazon, eBay and many others) choose not to collect the sales tax on orders in states where they are not legally required to collect the tax. They could do so voluntarily, but they don't. So, to suggest that collecting the tax on behalf of New York or New Jersey is a great service they provide to their customers in those states, raises the question – why aren't customers in all the others states they serve worthy of the same service?

Hopefully, in a few months Congress will take action to assure that all online retailers with more than $1 million in annual sales must collect sales taxes on behalf of their customers.

Judging by Helen's remarks, I must assume that Adorama is in favor of the proposed federal law. I would be interested in knowing if that is the case.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
......Adorama ......choose not to collect the sales tax on orders in states where they are not legally required to collect the tax. They could do so voluntarily, but they don't...... why aren't customers in all the others states they serve worthy of the same service?

No idea; but of course, we need to employ someone to take care of this so to do something additional that we are not legally obliged to do would increase our costs - which I assume would almost inevitably be passed on to the consumer.

unfocused said:
Hopefully, in a few months Congress will take action to assure that all online retailers with more than $1 million in annual sales must collect sales taxes on behalf of their customers.

Judging by Helen's remarks, I must assume that Adorama is in favor of the proposed federal law. I would be interested in knowing if that is the case.

I was simply stating the law as it stands!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Helen Oster said:
[It is probably not a good idea for anyone to even suggest on an internet forum that they don't pay sales tax on out of state purchases.
With the financial crisis that NJ and many other states are in, it is only a matter of time until they start cracking down on this].

Yes! Washington State went after people who were not declaring their state tax, it took a while to work down thru the courts, but it cost them a bundle. Advertising that you do not pay sales tax on a fourm is like begging them to come after you.

They find you by going after a seller with a court order to divulge their sales to customers in the state. Lots of legalities are involved, but, if they are determined and get the information, they will find you.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
Helen Oster said:
As I noted above, Adorama has a completely new Management structure - since 2007, actually.

We now do not charge a credit card until an order actually ships, and as per our website:

http://www.adorama.com/help/shippingAndDelivery

Adorama Camera makes every effort to get your order to you as soon as possible. Orders for in-stock items placed on business days before 8:00 PM ET (Eastern Time) are generally shipped the same day (subject to verification, click here for details). Please note weekend orders, placed on Fridays after 1:00 PM ET will be processed on the following Monday. If there is a problem with your order, you will receive an e-mail within one business day to advise you about the situation.

A +1 vote from me on Adorama. And Helen this is good to know (about the management change). In the late 1980s I ordered a lens specifying U.S. warranty and Adorama shipped a grey market instead. While the experience itself was inconvenient, even back then the return was accomplished satisfactorily.

and by the way congratulations on a the 5D3 bundle, 'power up for free'. nice job including the grip and an extra battery AND the 2% rewards! effectively, this makes the purchase price close to what it was a few months back before Canon started protecting MAP and one could easily find a 5D3/24-105 kit for $3500.

Upvote 0
i just thought that i would chime in to defend adorama. i have dealt with the company on a number of occasions and i am always impressed with their level of service. i recently had a print order from their printing division that arrived damaged by UPS. i called them about the damage which occurred while the prints were in transit to my house. they asked me to take a photograph of the damage and send it them by email - which i did. they promptly sent me a replacement set of photos at no cost to me. obviously, we would all expect a company to do this but i was impressed with the concern they showed for me and the rapid response that they gave to my issue. i have also bought from their camera store and found the level of service to be exemplary.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
unfocused said:

Hopefully, in a few months Congress will take action to assure that no online retailers will be required to collect sales taxes on behalf of their customers.

And why only those online retailers with $1M+ in annual sales? I just love these arbitrary discriminators ...

The government's problem (both state and federal) isn't too little revenue, it's too much (wasteful) spending.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Of the 3 big online (photo) retailers B&H, Adorama, and Amazon, I've had multiple problems with one and zero problems with the other two. So now I only do business with two of the three. Although it may be tempting to call out a lousy customer service experience over the Internet (and I do understand the OP frustration), I think the best revenge is just to walk away and take your money and business else where.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Forceflow said:
Sorry for going OT, but holy crap!
Is it that complicated to wire money in the US? Here in Germany the banks are legally required to wire the money within no less than 1 working day. And if you wire money within the bank from one account to another one it's usually there within minutes. Sometimes even if you wire money across banks. (Seen this happening when I wire some money to my dad or he wires money to me)
No wonder you guys pay everything with plastic.

Getting of topic too, but I don't quite get it either. And I'm curious about banking systems. Are you people saying that you have to physically go to a bank if you want to transfer money to someone? And then your bank has to add a lot of details about the sender. And if the recipient bank doesn't like the details entered, they refuse it? Seriously? If so, I'm less worried about Adorama not returning phone calls instantly than I am about the antiquated banking system. No wonder problems like this arise and everyone gets frustrated.

Upvote 0
I also had terrible time with Adorama. I was buying a gift for my wife's birthday and it was about $2000. I placed the order a week early and paid extra to get items on time. My shipment got lost and when I called customer service, I got a rude arrogant pr!ck on the phone that couldn't help me locate a package. She then told Me to call back in 45 min when they get updated information. this was of course after 30 min waiting for help in the first place. When I called back they were closed .. I found another number for the floor and called back. Another rude person told me that my shipment was delayed before it shipped out. Well , my wife's new camera and lens arrived two days late. And I was refused credit for delay in shipping.

Well, since then I order from B and H exclusively and have purchased well over $20,000.

Upvote 0
Regarding wire transfers....I've had plenty of experience with these, you have to have all the info correct and clear on both sides or the transfer has a good chance of not going through.

My experience with Adorama is that they'll go out of their way to make it right.

OP, if you didn't like the way the salesperson spoke to you, then ask to speak to the sales manager because you are right about one thing, when spending that much money, they should be bending over backwards to make you 100% happy with the experience.. This isn't a $100 or $500 net profit transaction, this is a $7000 (ballpark guess) net profit deal....the managers/owners would WANT you to hear from you if you were not 100% happy.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but you should have gone right over the salesperson's head in this situation as soon as you felt mistreated...Everybody would have benefited, Adorama owners, managers, and most importantly - YOU (everybody except that salesman)

Upvote 0
There are a few postings about the sales tax and whether the company collects it or not. You always owe states sales tax whether you buy locally or buy it on line or mail order and have it shipped to your house.

If the company has a "Nexus" or business presence in your state then they will collect the sales tax as an agent of the state. If they do not have a nexus then they will not collect it, but you still owe it. The reality is that most people don't know this, and even if they do then they figure that the state does not know about it and they can get away with it.

States are pushing Congress to pass laws that require big retailers, such as Amazon, to collect for them because they are losing so much revenue. So far that has not happened. A few states (New York and New Jersey) have been going after some retailers to find out what was shipped into the state so that they could go after the customers for tax evasion.

Taxes are needed to be paid for services, as well as to pay people who are paid to keep the demand for jobs lower.

Upvote 0
Jglaser757 said:
I also had terrible time with Adorama....... I was refused credit for delay in shipping.

I can't identify your order from your feedback, or how long ago this took place, but from the description of your experience we did not handle the situation as we should have done.
If you can contact me with the order number I can certainly see if I can get the shipping costs refunded right away: [email protected]

Upvote 0
Helen Oster said:
Jglaser757 said:
I also had terrible time with Adorama....... I was refused credit for delay in shipping.

I can't identify your order from your feedback, or how long ago this took place, but from the description of your experience we did not handle the situation as we should have done.
If you can contact me with the order number I can certainly see if I can get the shipping costs refunded right away: [email protected]

Helen...I've read some of your replies and I must say I'm impressed, it begs the question "who is this Wonder Woman?" ;D

Adorama is lucky to have you.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Hillsilly said:
Forceflow said:
Sorry for going OT, but holy crap!
Is it that complicated to wire money in the US? Here in Germany the banks are legally required to wire the money within no less than 1 working day. And if you wire money within the bank from one account to another one it's usually there within minutes. Sometimes even if you wire money across banks. (Seen this happening when I wire some money to my dad or he wires money to me)
No wonder you guys pay everything with plastic.

Getting of topic too, but I don't quite get it either. And I'm curious about banking systems. Are you people saying that you have to physically go to a bank if you want to transfer money to someone? And then your bank has to add a lot of details about the sender. And if the recipient bank doesn't like the details entered, they refuse it? Seriously? If so, I'm less worried about Adorama not returning phone calls instantly than I am about the antiquated banking system. No wonder problems like this arise and everyone gets frustrated.

Wire transfers within the country should be pretty easy and settled within the day - I don't think it should take 3-4 days unless it is a cross-border transaction. International transfers usually do take at least three working days because of verifications that the banks have to carry out. Banks are increasingly touchy regarding where the money is coming from. The OP doesn't mention whether he was ordering from the US or another country.

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
Helen...I've read some of your replies and I must say I'm impressed, it begs the question "who is this Wonder Woman?" ;D

Thank you!

I can tell you exactly who I am........

30 years ago, when you had a problem with a company eg with a product, policy or member of the CS staff team, you would sit yourself down and write a letter of complaint.

You could expect a nice written response within 28 days. If you weren't happy with the response, you'd probably find within that letter the details of a senior manager or another department you could write to to set out your grievance; you'd fire off another letter, and hopefully, receive a satisfactory answer - maybe compensation of some kind - 28 days later.

A decent company with a well-structured management team would employ someone able to take on board your complaint; assess where the problem lay, ensure you were compensated and completely satisfied. He or she would then make recommendations for organizational (or personnel) change, training, or whatever might be needed to ensure that didn't happen again. And that is who I am! Except that I try and turn around complaints within 24 hours....... though it can take longer of I need to listen to recordings of 'phone calls, read through lots of notes etc.

Making changes and improvements is going to be harder if problems don't get reported any further than the person who caused them, or on photography forums.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Northstar said:
Helen Oster said:
Jglaser757 said:

Not only has Helen brought customer service back, she has, with the help of Justin T., brought sexy back as well.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2012
Helen is legend in the photo industry, if there is a photography hall of fame she should be inducted. I've never had any dealings with her but I've read her postings and postings about her service and I don't believe there is a disingenuous bone in her body.

I've been an Adorama customer for about 14 years. One thing that I really like about them is they are open to take my order when I can/want to shop. I don't expect a business to have staff working 24x7, people need time off for many different reasons. Computers don't. Adorama, thanks for being there for me when I have the time.

As far as collecting sales taxes. I read last night that there are over 7500 sale tax authorities in the US. Who is going to keep track of all the rates and where to send the taxes collected? Will the Feds do it? Some company? Who will pay for that service: the businesses, state tax payers, federal tax payers. This is a lot easier for B&M's, they know where the store is located and can set a couple of tax rates in local computers. Online how do you verify what tax rate should apply. If my kid goes to school in California, uses my CC with a billing address in Wisconsin, makes a purchase from a Nevada web site, and has it shipped to Grandma's house in Oregon what tax rate applies? The reason for the not so arbitrary million dollar limit is the cost to the business of complying with the law. Small business would not be able to compete or comply so new web retailers would not exist and they would not grow into large web retailers. Reality is it doesn't take all that much to be a million dollar retailer. Of course this depends on where you live.

As far as our banking system goes very little has to do with capability, mostly it has to do with legal requirements. If law says they have to perform a task in 3 days, they take 3 days. They make tons of money on the float. Most of the requirements were written when paper checks where being hand processed and physically moved between companies.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Northstar said:
Helen Oster said:
Jglaser757 said:

Not only has Helen brought customer service back, she has, with the help of Justin T., brought sexy back as well.

Although I do appreciate the follow up by Helen to try salvage any type of relationship with previous and future customers, I for one will never use them again because its not the first time my experience was not an isolated incident. Maybe they are trying to solve this situation, but fool me once shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!

At the time I was a little fish in the pond, but after years of purchasing, I'm a bigger fish and a loyal B and H customer. I actually should probably thank Adorama for that! I once returned an item that was past their minimum due date for refund, and they still refunded me.

Yeah, I hate their policy for closing during holidays, but I respect it and understand it. I have adjusted my buying for it, but I still hate it! :)

Upvote 0
Jglaser757 said:
Although I do appreciate the follow up by Helen to try salvage any type of relationship with previous and future customers, I for one will never use them again because its not the first time my experience was not an isolated incident. Maybe they are trying to solve this situation, but fool me once shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!

Whether or not you choose to shop at Adorama again, the fact that we may owe you money is important to me - and I'd like to put this right.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.