Horrific 80D build quality; creaky, brittle grip... normal?!

https://youtu.be/DYIspuDV3yI

Does everybody else's do this? It's gone straight back, hoping the eBay importer folk don't put up too much of a battle and just refund me in full... this isn't suitable for supporting its own weight, nevermind trusting it with a 400mm prime! It's like they forgot that the grip is more than just a lock-up for the battery :/

May 11, 2016
Hi Khufu,

my 80D has some movement in the grip when I have my 100-400 mm attached. In that case I support the lens and then I only 'carry' the body with my hand on the bottom of the camera. That is just to stay on the safe side, because I do feel some light movement between the grip and (the rest of) the 80D's body.

But what your vid shows is quite bad.
This must be some error in the assembly process that Quality Assurence missed.

Return it?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I went down to our local camera store and tried one, it did feel light weight and flimsy. I passed it up. The camera is definitely not aimed at owners of the big white lenses, as long as a person uses ef-s lenses, its no issue.

I would have bought one if it was as solid and well made as my old 40D's.
Good luck with a ebay seller, most of them charge shipping plus a hefty restocking fee if someone just doesn't like the item. If its defective, they replace it.

Upvote 0