Horses / Horseriding etc

Your grand niece is very cute with that pony.

One comment, not sure if you're able to, but a fill-flash (preferably a 430EX or 580EX class, or even off camera) would help greatly for riders faces.

Also you're at ISO 400 @/f13, any particular reason you are stopping down so far instead of f/7.1 or f/8 or so? 1/500 is good, but you probably could go faster with ISO100 @f/7.1, and you'd probably get slightly sharper images, since on a crop you tend to (depending on pixel counts) start hitting diffraction limits quicker than full frame.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:

One comment, not sure if you're able to, but a fill-flash (preferably a 430EX or 580EX class, or even off camera) would help greatly for riders faces.

Also you're at ISO 400 @/f13, any particular reason you are stopping down so far instead of f/7.1 or f/8 or so? 1/500 is good, but you probably could go faster with ISO100 @f/7.1, and you'd probably get slightly sharper images, since on a crop you tend to (depending on pixel counts) start hitting diffraction limits quicker than full frame.

cheers for the comments.....
I dont like using Flash on or off the camera near the horses...as you never know if your going to spook one near you

The conditions look better than they were and with I was using the large Sigma Lens which cuts alot of light out in itself...

Upvote 0
glongstaff said:
Drizzt321 said:

I dont like using Flash on or off the camera near the horses...as you never know if your going to spook one near you

The conditions look better than they were and with I was using the large Sigma Lens which cuts alot of light out in itself...

Yea, I figured using a flash around most animals would tend to spook them, unless you have them trained to it. You might need to slightly over-expose the overall image, and bring down the rest of the image in post in order to get more light on the faces.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
glongstaff said:
Drizzt321 said:

Yea, I figured using a flash around most animals would tend to spook them, unless you have them trained to it. You might need to slightly over-expose the overall image, and bring down the rest of the image in post in order to get more light on the faces.

Yeah, I have always been one in the past to believe in the photo should be OOC...but have purchased lightroom and just teaching myself the software and have revisited some photos

Upvote 0
Just to show

07%20Hirtentanz_8487.jpg

7D with EF 85/1.8

Light: Broncolor Para 330

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Nice effect but looks like a montage - is it a single frame or has the horse and rider been added ?

Looks like a very frosty Irish morning !

Thank you - appreciate the nice comments

Single frame
Very hurried shot - and the shutter speed was not high enough (taken 5D2 24-105 1/320 f4 ISO200 - fairly heavy crop) - some post in Aperture and Niksoft - may be I was a little heavy handed with my post processing (which was mainly to lighten the foreground) which is why it looks like a composite - just for interest a very down-scaled jpg of the straight out of camera is attached
If we have a similarly beautiful dawn I would love to retake with my brand new 70-200 2.8 and be smarter (or quicker) setting the camera up

Attachments

• IMG_7935 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_7935 - Version 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,504
Upvote 0