How big do you print?

What is the largest print size you have done? (stitched panoramas count!) Long edge:

• 11" / A4 / 280mm

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 19" / A3+ / 483mm

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • 24" / A2 / 610mm

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • 36" / A1+ / 914mm

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • 50"+ / 1.27m+

Votes: 15 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 29, 2011
I use a 17" roll printer, my standard print is 16"x24", not huge but considering many people never print now it isn't too bad. I have done 16"x42" panoramas from a single ff image but prefer to use two stiched as there ias no doubt IQ falls off and people expect to view everything up close. I did make a 46"x31" from a single 21mp capture, it worked fine for the intended use and I have posted crops from the print file before.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15884.msg292745#msg292745

Upvote 0
I've printed matte photo paper Fuji 50x70 cm, the picture I did with the old Rebel XTI (10 megapixel) ISO 200 and was wonderful. :D A human being could not see with the naked eye, no noise, no serrated contour, no JPEG compression artifact, no chromatic aberration. :D :D :D It was a portrait of the head and chest, where could see the skin pores of a 15 years old girl. The only thing I corrected was the lip that had a lack of pigmentation in the skin. If the makeup artist had used color strong lipstick, would have saved me the job, but she used transparent lipstick. ::) The lens I used was Tokina 16-50mm F2.8 stopped down to F4.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I have the Epson 4900, So Printing is generally 17" x 24" from 50' Rolls.

I use only Museo Paper, but I do use 3 different types of Museo Paper, Silver Rag, Portfolio Art & Archival Fine Art.

Most of my Printing is for Family & Friends and just for the enjoyment of seeing a reasonable sized print of an Image that I've put some effort into achieving.

Upvote 0
I just received a request to resize a 3 megapixels photo shot with a point and shoot to a 96" x 96" wall portrait. The printing company wants a 200 dpi uncompressed tiff. So I used Genuine Fractals and photoshop to resize and sharpen it. The resulting photo was 386 megapixels and 1.02GB in size. That is the largest file I have ever worked with and yes the resulting images will be very soft.

The largest single print I have ever done is 60' long, it was a building sign.

Most of work is 20x30 and smaller, usually much smaller.

Upvote 0
The Bad Duck said:
Printing big is addictive!
If you haven´t, do it!

A few years ago I did a landscape photography tour. It was absolutely brilliant! When I came home, I decided it was time to decorate the walls with the photos I'd taken. I installed picture rails in almost all rooms and purchased a dozen or so custom frames of various sizes from 12"x18" through to 20"x40" in aspect ratios of 3:2, 2:1 and 3:1.

Now, everytime I head out on an expedition, I remove some of the older images and insert some new ones, and I'm getting one pretty big portfolio folder. Yes, its addictive.

Upvote 0
The largest prints I've done so far, are some 28x18 inch canvas prints, a couple of which were from the 40D, the others with the 5D MkII. Generally, I only print to A3 though, as that is the largest I can print myself (at least untiul I get some A3+ rolls). I have been tempted to get some larger prints done, but I would need to research quality printers that print that big. The ones I've had a couple of things done with before also used to be limited to the same size.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
At Building Panoramics we use a K3 Ultra Chrome Epson 7880. All our (building) pictures are produced for printing as these are sold by the various institutions that we shoot for. Our standard picture size is 39" wide and the preferred medium is high quality cotton based canvas, though we do print on 'art' ( water colour ) paper as well. Printing is always from a 16 bit tiff file in Adobe rgb. Having said that we have on two occasions actually cocked up and shot in medium jpeg. Luckily as the images required very little pp they printed just the same. We produce the box mounted stretched canvases ourselves. The largest size that our pictures have been printed at is 118" across for display in visitor centres etc but we cannot do this in house. Because they are all stitches some of our images have been around 230 mp, but to be quite honest this is unnecessarily large and we actually have to dump resolution to make the files more manageable. We don't actually print at the highest resolution of the printer either.

I always print my own personal stuff with a desktop Epson, even if it is only 6x4. To me a picture has to be tangible.

Upvote 0

paradoxxx

The more I see the less I know
Jul 1, 2013
www.flickr.com
When I bought my wide format printer I wanted to know how long I could print a photo. Unfortunately that was not written in the Epson user manual. So I emailed Epson support and asked that question. They replied that I can print up to 45" long depending on my driver. My average prints are 17" x 25" but I wanted to test Epsons answer. I recently went to the Dominican Republic and stood in the water with my 1Dx and 24-70mm and took five shots from one end of the beach to the other. Stitch them together in CS6 and printed them at 17" high and the resulting photo came out to be 8.3 feet. So I printed it and it came out looking fantastic. I can't hang it anywhere or even spend the money to mount it so it just gets rolled up and put in a photo tube to show friends and relatives who are interested. So much for Epsons 45" limit.

Upvote 0

paradoxxx

The more I see the less I know
Jul 1, 2013
www.flickr.com
I can print till the roll is gone. Printer actually keeps track of how much paper is on the roll and warns me when it reaches a pre-set limit I put in. I don't know if epson understands their own products. I wanted to print wirelessly over an airport express since my printer is downstairs in the family room and I'm up in the living room. I didn't want to spend the money for the express if it wasn't going to work. Epson told me It might be able to print but would not receive any feed back from the printer. So I went and bought one, hooked it up and I receive printer warnings, ink levels, paper alarms ect, ect. I think epson makes the best photo printers but their support services don't seem to understand their products.

Upvote 0