Status
Not open for further replies.

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
bholliman said:
brad-man said:
Since Canon USA is being uncooperative, I was forced to go to the dark side for a strap and a case.

How did you attach the Nikon strap to the EOS-M? So far, I've been reluctant to destroy the neck strap that came with it, but may have to at some point.

It connects exactly the same way as the OEM strap using the Canon nubbies. No destruction of anything. You can always switch back if you choose.

Upvote 0
With all this talk about straps and lugs on the EOS-M, I was just looking at my SL1 and I really do prefer the lugs on it (I also have the EOS-M). The SL1 has the more common attachments for Canon SLRs which do not rotate. They are also recessed into the body and only stick out a little at the corners.

To me, they feel more sturdy than the combination of lugs and strap ends on the EOS-M.

But, the big thing is that they don't stick out. I don't like the way the lugs stick out on the EOS-M, especially when there is no strap attached. They look like they are just made for snagging things and don't let the body slide as cleanly into some cases, pockets, etc. depending on its orientation.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
schill said:
With all this talk about straps and lugs on the EOS-M, I was just looking at my SL1 and I really do prefer the lugs on it (I also have the EOS-M). The SL1 has the more common attachments for Canon SLRs which do not rotate. They are also recessed into the body and only stick out a little at the corners.

To me, they feel more sturdy than the combination of lugs and strap ends on the EOS-M.

But, the big thing is that they don't stick out. I don't like the way the lugs stick out on the EOS-M, especially when there is no strap attached. They look like they are just made for snagging things and don't let the body slide as cleanly into some cases, pockets, etc. depending on its orientation.

That's why the M is not a camera for photojournalists. If you were running with your M and tripped and fell, you could put your eye out on one of those things :p

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Quick trip this weekend and I brought the M. I put the camera with an extra battery into a small zippered amenity pouch from an airline and put that into my briefcase. Perfect. Then, on arrival, took it out and kept it over my shoulder most of the time.

Still waiting for the leather case from China via Ebay. I'll let you know.

Upvote 0
Hi folks. Just got my EOS M and EF-M 22mm f/2.0 for $299. I am very happy with it. I have a trick and some thoughts to share.

First, regarding the unique lugs on the EOS M:
I removed one of the lug connectors from the included neck strap, attached it to the camera, and then attached a point-n-shoot wrist strap to it. But there's a twist to how I attached the strap. I did not run the wrist strap through the same hole that the neck strap had been attached. Rather, I ran the wrist strap through the tiny hole adjacent to the lug -- the space that remains after locking the lug connector. This is an improvement in two ways: 1) the lug connector switch cannot be accidentally turned, and 2) being attached closer to the lug means less leverage is applied to the lug through the lug connector when tugging on the strap.

Second, regarding the EF-M 22mm f/2.0:
I notice that the lens cap is attached not to the lens body but to the moving element group. This troubles me, as the lens cap protrudes, and thus it is likely to be hit, resulting in a direct impact to the focusing apparatus. It seems to me that with the lens cap removed, the tiny front element is exposed, but the focusing apparatus is better protected. Also, the lens cap does not protect debris from entering the focusing mechanism, only from contacting the front element. Hence, I think I'll forgo the use of the lens cap.

Last, it's a pretty terrible idea that closing the battery door or pressing the play button even once for a brief moment causes the lens to extend. I don't expect Canon will fix these, but they could with a firmware update.

Upvote 0
mazing said:
I notice that the lens cap is attached not to the lens body but to the moving element group. This troubles me, as the lens cap protrudes, and thus it is likely to be hit, resulting in a direct impact to the focusing apparatus. It seems to me that with the lens cap removed, the tiny front element is exposed, but the focusing apparatus is better protected. Also, the lens cap does not protect debris from entering the focusing mechanism, only from contacting the front element. Hence, I think I'll forgo the use of the lens cap.

Just got mine and I noticed too that the lens cap is pretty thick being a center pinch style. I was thinking about just using a bare UV filter instead of lens cap. But I wonder if that would introduce some other complications. I was also thinking that perhaps it would help with flare as the ring on the filter may block some stray light. Comments?

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
iMagic said:
Just got mine and I noticed too that the lens cap is pretty thick being a center pinch style. I was thinking about just using a bare UV filter instead of lens cap. But I wonder if that would introduce some other complications. I was also thinking that perhaps it would help with flare as the ring on the filter may block some stray light. Comments?

I put a B&W filter on the 22 and this causes it to protrude even with the camera off. I would be nice to find a lens cap that covers the entire external diameter of the 22, kind of like the on that fits over the built-on hood of the front-bulging 14mm.

Upvote 0
I'm really enjoying having the M with me at all times and also wanted to find something to protect it a bit in transit....I had one of these( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F4U8VC/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) leftover from my nifty fifty and it works great as just general protection to throw the thing in my work bag or in the console of my car. The fit is very good with the 20mm...just snug enough (I leave the strap hanging out).

While looking for something a bit more elegant I came across this and it is on the way (cheap enough to try):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170962069600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I'll try to report back....

I've also noticed the extra bump added by the cap which is exacerbated by the addition of a filter. In the interest of compactness I am beginning to lean toward deleting the cap and the strap if the "PU Leather" case works out (and definitely will not use the one that comes with it).

I have each of these around after adding a Cotton Carrier hand strap to each of my bodies and have yet to try them, but I can highly recommend the Canon camcorder strap for DSLR use if you are just looking for a bit of help in the event you lose grip. The neoprene OpTech should be plenty strong for the EOS M, however.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009V4G9/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00137NMMW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One last thing...the LowePro EX120 is just about a perfect fit for the M if you want to carry the two lenses, battery + charger, and a few filters/memory cards. The 90EX Flash MAY fit as well, but I don't have one to try it yet.
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-EX120GRY-Camera-Bag/dp/B0001YM40E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374806949&sr=1-2&keywords=lowepro+EX+120

(I think I've contracted the same disease as Neuro given the bag/case collection I've built)

Upvote 0
Swphoto said:
bholliman said:
How did you attach the Nikon strap to the EOS-M? So far, I've been reluctant to destroy the neck strap that came with it, but may have to at some point.

There's no need to destroy it, it's just wrapped on to the adapters. Unwrap the ends, remove the adapters - no destruction required.

Sorry, I made the "destroy" comment thinking the strap was permanently affixed to the adapters, I didn't have the camera with me at the time.

Upvote 0

GDub

I R Photographer
Oct 5, 2011
Montréal, Québec
mediarare.com
drjlo said:
Hmm. I'm really liking the EOS-M with 90EX acting as master and 580EX II off-camera as slave. What would be a good bag, not too big, that will fit EOS-M, EF-M 22mm, 90EX, and 580EX II?

I highly recommend Think Tank bags.

I just bought the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20. Haven't got it yet (should arrive the same day as my EOS M), but I LOVE all my other Think Tank bags so I'm assuming more of the same goodness. Seems about the right size for what you're asking.

Upvote 0
I recently got the Mover 10 and the M+22 takes up about 1/2 of the bag...I can get the 430exii in there also - but its a tight fit vertically (but it does fit) - I believe the Mover 20 is the same height. I'm assuming the 580 is bigger - so this may not work for your needs...unless you step up to a bigger mover bag which is taller...otherwise...I love the bag...

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
drjlo said:
Hmm. I'm really liking the EOS-M with 90EX acting as master and 580EX II off-camera as slave. What would be a good bag, not too big, that will fit EOS-M, EF-M 22mm, 90EX, and 580EX II?

The 580 pretty much screws the "not too big" bag selection. How about carrying your flash in a pouch on your belt? Think Tank and Lowepro make some nice ones.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
brad-man said:
drjlo said:

The 580 pretty much screws the "not too big" bag selection. How about carrying your flash in a pouch on your belt? Think Tank and Lowepro make some nice ones.

Digging through my closet, I found an old "M Gear" bag that used to be too small for DSLR but perfect for EOS-M + 580EX II. In the spirit of bargain-priced EOS-M, I shall refrain from buying yet another bag ;D

EOSD4279 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
drjlo said:
brad-man said:
drjlo said:

Digging through my closet, I found an old "M Gear" bag that used to be too small for DSLR but perfect for EOS-M + 580EX II. In the spirit of bargain-priced EOS-M, I shall refrain from buying yet another bag ;D

EOSD4279 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Good timing. I usually find something like that out after I've already bought a new one :p

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Cattura.JPG
    Cattura.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,017
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.