How do you know when it's time for a new monitor?

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I have been using a cheap ASUS LED monitor for a few years. It still seems to work fine and it mounts nicely on the adjustable arm that I love.

For the last three years, I've been using a color calibration device - currently an X-Rite color checker that seems to work well.

I know there are better and much more expensive monitors out there. Compared to what I spend on bodies and lenses, a new monitor would not be an unreasonable expense.

For someone who uses a 5D3 and L lenses, are there any real gains to be had by buying a better monitor? I don't do commercial fashion or advertising work - mostly portraits and boudoir. Most of my photos end up being viewed on screens of dubious color and brightness adjustment, so I'm not sure if this is worth worrying about.

Anyone recently upgrade to a high-end monitor and find that it took their photography to the next level?

Feb 15, 2015
For web publishing, your display should be perfectly usable.

If you are using your own inkjet for printing, do you get exactly the result you want each time? Or are print and display (with proper proofing set-up) hit and miss? If it always is hit and miss, you may have to adjust your workflow and learn more about profiling/proofing etc. If there are certain colors that tend to be off, it may be that the display does not deliver even with profiling/soft-proofing. In the latter case, this may be an indication to get a new one.

Do you do high volume (off-set) printing? In this case, there is no room for error, and a good display (properly calibrated and all the proofing and print output done correctly) is an insignificant cost compared to re-printing a book. Rather safe than $$$$orry.

I recently upgraded from dual US$1K Apple cinema to one $3K NEC 4K display and kept one of the old ones. I work on print books (plus all the other above). The 4K/UHD screen size makes quite a difference, color wise (use a Colormunki design), they are similar, certainly not night and day. The Eizo 4K self calibrating displays are possibly a bit overkill for my purposes.

I have seen some displays that even spider calibration could not get even halfway decent. Those were however about a decade or so old, and cheapest version.

An other alternative is a dual display set-up. Get a new one (maybe with better specs) and see how much of a difference it makes to you.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi drmikeinpdx.
I find the only sure fire way to know it is time to replace electronic devices is when you notice all the magic smoke that makes them work is leaking out! ;D
Anything other than that it becomes more of a subjective decision, a want not need decision!

Cheers, Graham.

drmikeinpdx said:
I have been using a cheap ASUS LED monitor for a few years. It still seems to work fine and it mounts nicely on the adjustable arm that I love.

For the last three years, I've been using a color calibration device - currently an X-Rite color checker that seems to work well.

I know there are better and much more expensive monitors out there. Compared to what I spend on bodies and lenses, a new monitor would not be an unreasonable expense.

For someone who uses a 5D3 and L lenses, are there any real gains to be had by buying a better monitor? I don't do commercial fashion or advertising work - mostly portraits and boudoir. Most of my photos end up being viewed on screens of dubious color and brightness adjustment, so I'm not sure if this is worth worrying about.

Anyone recently upgrade to a high-end monitor and find that it took their photography to the next level?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
If you are trying to match photos for magazine publication, or high end printing where colors are critical, its worth paying $XXXX for a high end monitor. If your output for online or prints look good, I doubt if anyone would notice the difference.

I've been contemplating purchase of a low cost enthusiast monitor ($600 range), but just ordered a new PC instead.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Thanks guys!

I've been pretty happy with my color output in general and anyway, 99% of my work ends up being viewed by fans and clients on various screens of dubious color calibration.

However, I have to admit that calibrating my Canon Pro9900 Mark II printer has been a royal pain. Even with the X-rite color checker, the colors are screwed up more often than not. Part of the problem is that sometimes the printer wants to control the color and sometimes Lightroom controls it. Also, the ink jet prints tend to fade with time, often quite noticeably.

I've pretty much given up trying to make nice prints of my own and now send them to Blue Cube Imaging. I can't justify the time and frustration to do it on my own, vs what they charge. They really do nice work!

Dr. Mike in Portland

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
drmikeinpdx said:
Thanks guys!

I've been pretty happy with my color output in general and anyway, 99% of my work ends up being viewed by fans and clients on various screens of dubious color calibration.

However, I have to admit that calibrating my Canon Pro9900 Mark II printer has been a royal pain. Even with the X-rite color checker, the colors are screwed up more often than not. Part of the problem is that sometimes the printer wants to control the color and sometimes Lightroom controls it. Also, the ink jet prints tend to fade with time, often quite noticeably.

I've pretty much given up trying to make nice prints of my own and now send them to Blue Cube Imaging. I can't justify the time and frustration to do it on my own, vs what they charge. They really do nice work!

Dr. Mike in Portland

I personally hate printers and I don't think they are EVER worth the frustration. Professional prints are better, cheap, and easy.

On the subject of monitors as long as you have an IPS monitor rather than an older TN panel you will be good to go. You get a much much bigger improvement going TN to IPS than cheap IPS to highend IPS. My $350 Benq TN gaming monitor cannot hold a candle to my $120 Acer IPS for color accuracy.

Upvote 0