How do you match FPS with Shutter Speed on Canon 60D (Video Mode)?

Dec 5, 2014
2
0
I have a Client that needs a short Video of her Visual Performance Prop, shot with a matched Shutter Speed and Frame Rate to properly capture it.

Ideally (according to the Manual) I should be able to match the FPS (30 fps) with Shutter Speed (1/30) to capture the smooth, even Trails of the Visual Prop she performs with.

Unfortunately, the Canon 60D does not allow this, as I can only shoot with a Frame Rate of 24, 25 or 50. After many tests at different FPS and Shutter Speeds, I am still unable to match these two settings (even in Manual Video Mode).

Has anyone else encountered this issue before? If so, can you direct me to resources that will aid me in this issue?

Thank you for your time!
 

Maui5150

EOS 7D MK II
Sep 21, 2011
564
0
Shutter should be twice the Frame rate

So when shooting 24.97 FPS which I generally do for the most cinematic look, I set shutter to 1/50

Shutter speed basically will determine motion blur.

Shutter formula of 2X frame rate is pretty much standard.
 

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
922
0
If you really want 30 FPS (probably 29.97 FPS, in reality), change it into NTSC mode. You're apparently in PAL or SECAM mode now.
 

jdramirez

EOS 5D MK IV
May 31, 2011
2,944
0
42
I always thought that shooting in manual and seeing shutter just have you a representation of how exposure will be if you take a shot while the video is being recorded.

Are the curtains jumping up and down during video... huh... I wouldn't have guessed.
 
Aug 23, 2013
2,287
15
Bahia Brazil
I did not understand what kind of effect your customer needs, then follow general advice.

If you did not find the option of 30 frames per second (really writes 29,97), your camera is set to PAL video mode that allows 25 frames per second. Change the setting to NTSC video mode, and you have the option 30 frames per second.

As for the shutter speed will set the amount of motion blur. The standard for looking images "natural" is 1/60. If you want a look of music video on MTV, try 1/30. On the other hand, rapid movements will have less blur with speeds 1/125 or faster, and aparância is anti-artistic, but appropriate to the technical / scientific applications.
 

Khnnielsen

EOS T7i
Sep 13, 2014
86
0
As others have stated, the general rule is 2x the framerate to get a "natural look". You can just use the nearest possible shutterspeed and everything should be fine.

The only way to get odd shutterspeeds in video mode, is to install Magic Lantern, which allow you to adjust the shutterspeed in smaller increments.
 

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
6,316
0
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
+1 for this (using a 60d for video w/o ML is like driving a Porsche only in 1st gear):

Khnnielsen said:
The only way to get odd shutterspeeds in video mode, is to install Magic Lantern, which allow you to adjust the shutterspeed in smaller increments.
 

antonioleandro

EOS T7i
Apr 10, 2014
65
1
Does the shutter really open and close 30 times a second when you choose a 30 fps rate or the sensor is electronically programed to make one reading of the frame every 1/30 of a second?
 

jdramirez

EOS 5D MK IV
May 31, 2011
2,944
0
42
antonioleandro said:
Does the shutter really open and close 30 times a second when you choose a 30 fps rate or the sensor is electronically programed to make one reading of the frame every 1/30 of a second?
I assumed the latter... I know the mirror isn't slapping, but I can't image the curtain is flipping and a flopping that often.
 

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
6,316
0
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
jdramirez said:
antonioleandro said:
Does the shutter really open and close 30 times a second when you choose a 30 fps rate or the sensor is electronically programed to make one reading of the frame every 1/30 of a second?
I assumed the latter... I know the mirror isn't slapping, but I can't image the curtain is flipping and a flopping that often.
Actually, at least on Discworld there are little gnomes inside the camera that flutter their hands all the time - the same ones that paint the picture for stills once the shutter is open :)

 
Dec 5, 2014
2
0
dgatwood said:
If you really want 30 FPS (probably 29.97 FPS, in reality), change it into NTSC mode. You're apparently in PAL or SECAM mode now.
Thank you dgatwood! Switching to NTSC Mode (which I previously overlooked) has solved the problem. I now can match both FPS with the Shutter Speed in Canon 60D Video Mode. Such an easy fix, if only I knew sooner. Appreciate your time!

-AJ
 

Tinky

EOS 7D MK II
Great advice to switch to NTSC there, unless the camera is switched to PAL for a reason, like say, being in a PAL region....

Doh!

The only way to do this on a 60d is to switch to 720p mode and record at 50fps and 1/50th.

For those who asked there is no mechanical shutter curtain use in video mode, the shutter will be opened when you switch to live view or video mode, there after it's an electronic read off, the path of the read off across the sensor scans the image, this emulates the way in which a mechanical shutter physically passes a slit of an opening across the image device.