How do you match FPS with Shutter Speed on Canon 60D (Video Mode)?

I have a Client that needs a short Video of her Visual Performance Prop, shot with a matched Shutter Speed and Frame Rate to properly capture it.

Ideally (according to the Manual) I should be able to match the FPS (30 fps) with Shutter Speed (1/30) to capture the smooth, even Trails of the Visual Prop she performs with.

Unfortunately, the Canon 60D does not allow this, as I can only shoot with a Frame Rate of 24, 25 or 50. After many tests at different FPS and Shutter Speeds, I am still unable to match these two settings (even in Manual Video Mode).

Has anyone else encountered this issue before? If so, can you direct me to resources that will aid me in this issue?

Thank you for your time!

I did not understand what kind of effect your customer needs, then follow general advice.

If you did not find the option of 30 frames per second (really writes 29,97), your camera is set to PAL video mode that allows 25 frames per second. Change the setting to NTSC video mode, and you have the option 30 frames per second.

As for the shutter speed will set the amount of motion blur. The standard for looking images "natural" is 1/60. If you want a look of music video on MTV, try 1/30. On the other hand, rapid movements will have less blur with speeds 1/125 or faster, and aparância is anti-artistic, but appropriate to the technical / scientific applications.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
antonioleandro said:
Does the shutter really open and close 30 times a second when you choose a 30 fps rate or the sensor is electronically programed to make one reading of the frame every 1/30 of a second?

I assumed the latter... I know the mirror isn't slapping, but I can't image the curtain is flipping and a flopping that often.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
jdramirez said:
antonioleandro said:
Does the shutter really open and close 30 times a second when you choose a 30 fps rate or the sensor is electronically programed to make one reading of the frame every 1/30 of a second?
I assumed the latter... I know the mirror isn't slapping, but I can't image the curtain is flipping and a flopping that often.

Actually, at least on Discworld there are little gnomes inside the camera that flutter their hands all the time - the same ones that paint the picture for stills once the shutter is open :)

Iconograph_2.jpg

Upvote 0
dgatwood said:
If you really want 30 FPS (probably 29.97 FPS, in reality), change it into NTSC mode. You're apparently in PAL or SECAM mode now.

Thank you dgatwood! Switching to NTSC Mode (which I previously overlooked) has solved the problem. I now can match both FPS with the Shutter Speed in Canon 60D Video Mode. Such an easy fix, if only I knew sooner. Appreciate your time!

-AJ

Upvote 0
Great advice to switch to NTSC there, unless the camera is switched to PAL for a reason, like say, being in a PAL region....

Doh!

The only way to do this on a 60d is to switch to 720p mode and record at 50fps and 1/50th.

For those who asked there is no mechanical shutter curtain use in video mode, the shutter will be opened when you switch to live view or video mode, there after it's an electronic read off, the path of the read off across the sensor scans the image, this emulates the way in which a mechanical shutter physically passes a slit of an opening across the image device.

Upvote 0